36 minutes ago, franzvong said:

question, how many players should participate in a launch event? or more precisely, should every player get a promo card?

The kit 'supports' 12 players, but only provides 7 promo cards per each of the 3 events. There are lanyards and pins for more players.

So if the store that gets the kit is running all 3 events as suggested, there will be 7 promos to hand out at each. If they just run one big launch event, there'll be 21 to hand out to attendees.

1 hour ago, franzvong said:

question, how many players should participate in a launch event? or more precisely, should every player get a promo card?

Depends on the location - if they had less players than they ordered launch kits to cover then everyone might get a promo card, but typically there are less promo than players.  Everyone would get the lanyard an sticker sheet, but there were less full clan art cards (these were supposed to be random giveaway at the first event)

The next 2 events should each also include another full art promo card, and there are promo art cards of the Imperial Favor as well.  I think the Imperial Favor was supposed to be for the 2nd event...  I'm not exactly sure. 

Edited by shosuko

I'm more peeved about the lack of uniformity among stores. 

On the one hand, some stores gave the prizes for all three events, pins, all 21 promos, the whole kit.

On the other hand, I drove 2 hours for an event,  paid an entry fee for casual play and a chance at one of only 7 promos.  The store then allowed local players who had agreed to be available for teaching new players to select a promo of their choice and only the remaining few promos were randomly distributed to everyone else.  Not to mention that the local players showed up with 3 core decks rather than the specified 30 card one core deck I brought with me. 

Sorry,  just had to get that out of my system.  Rant over.  Highly disappointed with the launch. 

5 minutes ago, Doji Hana said:

On the one hand, some stores gave the prizes for all three events, pins, all 21 promos, the whole kit.

On the other hand, I drove 2 hours for an event,  paid an entry fee for casual play and a chance at one of only 7 promos.  The store then allowed local players who had agreed to be available for teaching new players to select a promo of their choice and only the remaining few promos were randomly distributed to everyone else.  Not to mention that the local players showed up with 3 core decks rather than the specified 30 card one core deck I brought with me. 

Sorry,  just had to get that out of my system.  Rant over.  Highly disappointed with the launch. 

I'd say that isn't really the launches fault, that's the store's fault. That looks like a poorly run event from that store.

Yeah, it was really weak in comparison to their other games that would push full playmats and if there is a card that people need 3 of, then everyone who attended should get one. Tougher to do for 7 clans though. It didn't seem well thought through.

But, since I don't care about any of the prize support it doesn't matter so much to me. But, I agree it seemed like odd choices all around.

32 minutes ago, Doji Hana said:

Yeah - I agree.  The concept and instructions for the launch kit were pretty bad, and I think its very odd that the would give all of the prize support now for 3 events.  Just 7 promos aren't much, and while I like the lanyard I agree that it feels a bit paltry.  If I were running a store event I would have likely felt like I needed to order more kits than quoted per player to ensure at least most players left with a promo art card, or gave out all of the prizes in the kit to ensure most people (if not all) left with some participation prize.

It seems that FFG was maybe worried about having stores order 3 kits while a game is ramping up from initial launch, or maybe about having 3 events without prize support...  I think FFG should have just dumped in more stuff though.  Maybe give all of the prize options in 3 packs.  Give it to stores at once but have all of the same things in 3 packs so stores can more easily see that it should be 3 events, and that some players can acquire all of the different promo things at first without breaking into the rest of the kit.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:55 PM, Tokhuah said:

Also, if possible, we will make sure that Champions are NOT given out randomly, but are distributed to people based on the player's Clan fealty; the way it should be.

I thought official guidance was randomly to a member of that clan, so it will be based on clan fealty anyway.

15 hours ago, shosuko said:

I think FFG should have just dumped in more stuff though.

Yeah, you'd think that, after saying the launch was going to be the biggest ever (it definitely was, by the way), they'd distribute kits to support that. Kits for only 12 players are ridiculous.

11 hours ago, Shosuro Onigatsu said:

I thought official guidance was randomly to a member of that clan, so it will be based on clan fealty anyway.

As I understood it there were 3 sets of clan champion full art cards.  The first tournament (the one that has happened now) was supposed to be completely random.  You don't have to declare your clan and win/loss don't matter.  The champion cards are distributed completely randomly.

The 2nd event will have you declare your clan but win/loss is still not important.  Each champion card will go to a random player of each clan.  The 3rd event will track win/loss and in this one it is random top of clan (if two people from a clan go undefeated then randomly one of them will get it.)

We had a great event on Sunday with 8 participants who all had chosen their Clan.  Amazingly the group had exactly 2 people for each Clan chosen so everyone got at least one Champion that matched what/who they were playing.  Since we had no Crab, Dragon, or Unicorn players I decided to free-raffle off one of each, returning one copy each to the box.

Was everyone happy?  Yes!

Event 2 will be for the favors and pins with the rest of the champions given out as theme prizes.  We will hold onto the additional lanyard set-ups to welcome any future new players, sort of like getting a lei around your neck when arriving in Hawaii.

10 hours ago, shosuko said:

The first tournament (the one that has happened now) was supposed to be completely random.  You don't have to declare your clan and win/loss don't matter.  The champion cards are distributed completely randomly.

Makes sense, but my local game store everyone already declared fealty, so starting as ronin hadn't occured to me and the TO understands clan so the full random hadn't really connected either... Sounds like your LGS has proper understanding of the desires of its customers. In a group where everyone is ronin, full random would be as sensical as random within clan.

On 10/6/2017 at 7:05 AM, Union said:

So the release kit costs the retailer almost as much as 2 core boxes.  It has a few cents worth of cards, a few cents worth of lanyards and a few cents worth of pins.

No one uses or wants lanyards.

No one wears or wants pins.

It's a giant box of garbage.

If you're a retailer hoping the release kit will help you push product, just buy two core sets and throw them out on the sidewalk in front of your store, it will do a better job than tossing a bunch of lanyards and pins in the landfill.

I guess Fantasy Flight has no faith in this product and are just grabbing profit from retailers because that is all this is, a cash grab that will do nothing to help push the game.

Giant box of garbage that is selling for stupid amounts on EBay. 

4 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

*update*

I has a full bleed Imperial Favor now. It so pretty.

I got one of the Favors, too!  I picked up my third Core at a local store that wasn't running any events, but had gotten one of the release kits.  They handed out stuff with every Core purchase.