So the release kit costs the retailer almost as much as 2 core boxes.  It has a few cents worth of cards, a few cents worth of lanyards and a few cents worth of pins.

No one uses or wants lanyards.

No one wears or wants pins.

It's a giant box of garbage.

If you're a retailer hoping the release kit will help you push product, just buy two core sets and throw them out on the sidewalk in front of your store, it will do a better job than tossing a bunch of lanyards and pins in the landfill.

I guess Fantasy Flight has no faith in this product and are just grabbing profit from retailers because that is all this is, a cash grab that will do nothing to help push the game.

I'm with Matrim. The kit contains support for three events. Even if it 'just' had the full art champions, it's definitely something that will draw players in. The extra bling may not be to everyone's tastes, but I've seen enough positive reaction from both old and new players that I'm fine with it being in there.

The other parts of your post are so clearly trolling that they're not worth addressing. I'll just label them politely as wildly inaccurate and leave it at that.

OP kits for L5r did seem a bit off imo. Not to the point of being worthless. Those full art champs are going to be really nice to have a few expansions down the line. X-wing typically comes with a stack of an alt art pilot and a stack of an alt art upgrade in addition to acrylic tokens. Maybe due to the launch they felt the swag like ring and lanyard will be cooler for many players to  have than another set of alt arts.

Also, I know their alt art cards are typically printed in house. So the cost of creating 7 alt art cards for the launch of a game may have been much higher than we would imagine. Assuming it's a cash grab by them after only the first organized play event of the game is a bit hyperbolic imo. Relax and 'Fly Casual' there will be bumps along the way but hopefully we're all here to look at pretty pictures and imagine magical samurai bushi fighting.

41 minutes ago, Union said:

No one uses or wants lanyards.

No one wears or wants pins.

It's a giant box of garbage.

I want  Lanyard...

I collect the pins... 

I want the gorgeous clan champions... 

Its ok to not like the offerings, dont go to the release event if you think its a waste of time. Me? I want ALL the Tsukune artworks! 

Unnecessary scathing opening post aside...

The release kit is a bit on the disappointing side, at least in terms of usable game pieces. At a 16+ player attended release event, not everyone is leaving with a card or even a lanyard. Not everyone is going to have a piece that says "Why yes, I did attend the release event".

5 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

The release kit is a bit on the disappointing side, at least in terms of usable game pieces. At a 16+ player attended release event, not everyone is leaving with a card or even a lanyard. Not everyone is going to have a piece that says "Why yes, I did attend the release event".

What about the piece of you that remembers the horrific defeats you suffered at the tournament? :D

*Says the guy who is probably going to suffer all the defeats at their launch tournament*

Edited by Shu2jack

21 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

That is actually sad. But it's not the kit per se that is bad and more how much kits your store was able to get.

Mine got at least 3 so we will be able to get enough for our 30~ish players.

I feel you man, that's a bummer.

Edited by MrMenthe

22 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

OP Kit description clearly say it's for up to 12 attenders. Anyway it doesn't change a fact that this OP Kit is weak  for it's prize and instruction you should follow could results in that some people would never get their promos (random selection of players).

That lanyard and clan stickers will be nice to sit in the box I guess, will fun to have in a few years time. I want them Just because. 

Regardless of the Participation prizes, I'm psyched for the events I'll go to over the weekend, Get to meet the crowd and learn some game. No pressure on winning any games so just have a laugh :D

3 hours ago, shosuko said:

I wear a lanyard every day to check into work... we all wear these, and is a great place to show off some style in the work place. 

I'm excited to get an l5r one, and my lgs owner knows I'll buy all of my l5r stuff though him if he always does promo things. 

That was my thought, as well.  Many workplaces have badges or ID cards on lanyards.  If they let you use your own lanyard, why not have one for a game you enjoy?

6 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Last time I checked 3×7=21 so that should be enough for everyone at a 16 person event to get at least 1 alt art

The kits are designed for three events but we are going to give the contents out in two.  This means 2 out of the 3 clan Champion cards (14 total) will be given out on Sunday.  Also, if possible, we will make sure that Champions are NOT given out randomly, but are distributed to people based on the player's Clan fealty; the way it should be.  I hope people realize that FFG is not holding a knife to the throat of venues regarding the method of prize distribution.  The instructions on the Organized Play page are suggestions.

The prizes have no inherent play value and the components are already stellar out of the box.  Perhaps they are better viewed as tools to build community.

Edit: if we get more that 14 we will give out the entire kit!

Edited by Tokhuah
Shadowlands taint

2 hours ago, Akodo_Metuki said:

OP kit also has mention that it is more to get through to 2018 and the full op kits for regular events then. I kinda of feel like this was a let us get them something to get them through this year, so we can focus on the ones for 2018.

That's all well and good, Akodo_Metuki, but when you've had over 2 years to plan for the launch, should you need a "get you by" event kit?

19 hours ago, Union said:

It has a few cents worth of cards.

I'll buy your alt art shojus for a DOLLAR a piece. You're making at least 10 times their worth. I'll even cover shipping to the UK. You can't go wrong.

Lavvly Jabbly.

Edited by Daigotsu Steve

7 hours ago, RandomJC said:

I'm thinking those 2 years were spent doing other things than prepping launch kits.

You mean like making sure wording was clear, so we never ended up with a cost in the effect block of text?

I'm sure the majority of the 2 years was involved with other things - but if you're sincerely trying to suggest they didn't have time during that period to ensure that the first prize kit was a strong hook to players for which OP support is a thing, we're going to have to disagree.

25 minutes ago, dysartes said:

You mean like making sure wording was clear, so we never ended up with a cost in the effect block of text?

I'm sure the majority of the 2 years was involved with other things - but if you're sincerely trying to suggest they didn't have time during that period to ensure that the first prize kit was a strong hook to players for which OP support is a thing, we're going to have to disagree.

I think just releasing the game with a story re-set is a strong hook to get players back in the game.  Only 7 great clans?  No mantis or spider great clans?  WOW!  Get me back in here!

I don't mind if Mantis and Spider end up being a thing again, but it feels great to have a story reboot.

Full art shoju - HEY!!! SHOJU IS ALIVE!! that's the prize lol