Horiuchi Nobata

Magic for everyone?

20 hours ago, Nitenman said:

In Rokugan what is actually considered magic is maho, sorcery from jigoku.

This is something I hadn't considered, but is largely correct. It's a system of doing unnatural things that are poorly understood by most people, leading them to basically throw their hands up and say "It's magic!" (after cutting the offender's head off, obviously)

On 11/1/2017 at 8:37 PM, Nitenman said:

In Rokugan what is actually considered magic is maho, sorcery from jigoku

Heh while I am working against myself here a bit I do agree with the statement above, but The Tribe of Isawa utilized Blood magic as sacrifices to the fortunes to facilitate their magic.  This was before the fall of Fu Leng and Festering Pit put the method at risk via Kansen, but was earliest method of shugenja magic none the less.   

So while the unique effects of later Bloodspeaker spells come off as more insidious and socerous it still has fundamental ties to elemental magics of shugenja.

In this regard i personally wouldnt consider one anymore "magical" than the other. Though denizens of Rokugan could easily be swayed one way or the other i imagine. 

**** even gaijin powder was thought to be foreign sorcery when it blasyed through the magiced walls of the capital on during White Stag.