Sign in to follow this  
Matrim

New Story - 'To the South' Part One - up on main page

26 minutes ago, Notorious I.D.E. said:

I gotta admit, when I read it, all I could picture was naga

That's what I was thinking too. Naga had some interaction with Unicorn and Crab in the old story.  A chance meeting of the Unicorn and Crab both following a Naga and then ending up being the clans that act as leiason between the Naga and the Empire, in order to fight Fu Leng seems plausible.

Crab and Unicon both figure out they are following the same thing.  They find Naga.  Naga takes them to what really attacked the village as the Naga was tracking it too.  They all decide to be buddies.  Fu Leng sees the alliance formed in his crystal ball, shakes his fist in the air and screams "I've had with these mutha frackin snakes in the mutha frackin plains...."

Get it? Plains instead of planes.

#queuethefailmusic

19 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

That's what I was thinking too. Naga had some interaction with Unicorn and Crab in the old story.  A chance meeting of the Unicorn and Crab both following a Naga and then ending up being the clans that act as leiason between the Naga and the Empire, in order to fight Fu Leng seems plausible.

Crab and Unicon both figure out they are following the same thing.  They find Naga.  Naga takes them to what really attacked the village as the Naga was tracking it too.  They all decide to be buddies.  Fu Leng sees the alliance formed in his crystal ball, shakes his fist in the air and screams "I've had with these mutha frackin snakes in the mutha frackin plains...."

Get it? Plains instead of planes.

#queuethefailmusic

I like your story angle. I don't read the actual fiction, but anything spoofing it has to be great.

Also, The constant use of Emperor/Ivory art work for older time periods is making me crazy.  #L5Rage #tearsofaweeb

Hmph. Kinda neutral on this one. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also nothing that grabs me and pulls me in either. The set-up, chasing an unknown foe south towards the Shadowlands, is fine, but again, there's not enough there to really make it exciting or high stakes either.

Story setting is good, and there are plenty of plot lines they might be setting up in the future - return of the Naga, Dark Moto, or even a Shadowlands infiltrator like the characters think (and therefore we readers assume is wrong.) It's good, solid groundwork. And that's necessary. It's also unexciting, though, and excitement - especially at the start of a story or game - is also necessary. 

Anyway, I'm happy enough with this one, but also hoping it'll be the inverse of the last two-parter, with the second part containing more interest.

4 hours ago, TheItsyBitsySpider said:

I don't see "The Mantis Clan" anywhere in those fictions lol. ;)

True.  Yoritomo was in the first fiction.

But Mantis are in the RPG Beta....

Most Minor Clans are roughly equal in power to one of the individual
families of the Great Clans, though some—such as the Mantis—are
powerful enough to command greater respect.

page 10

Edited by Coyote Walks
spelling....

2 hours ago, agarrett said:

Hmph. Kinda neutral on this one. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also nothing that grabs me and pulls me in either. The set-up, chasing an unknown foe south towards the Shadowlands, is fine, but again, there's not enough there to really make it exciting or high stakes either.

When the Crab and Pony show hooks up with the Naga in part two and it says "I am not your enemy. Follow me I have sssssomething to ssssshow you" and then takes the "ssssamurai" to a "ssssshadowlands" encampment north of the wall.......you'll know that "sssssheet just got real"

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Anyone else kind of feeling meh about the stories? The 2 parter things and the lack of real progression. Let's see something happen! Honestly they feel very short and nothing happening. The opening clan ones were good, but since those there have been no story things. The Unicorn had their magic outlawed and the writing matched that, but more just set up a decision and gave a result. The Scorpion/Dragon one was neat, but lacked much progression, just some information. This Crab/Unicorn was a big walk through the forest and then surprise there is a Crab. I just feel like all of the stories just haven't been very complete and a little too short. I wish they would do some longer ones and maybe a little quicker. The story feels like it is in a holding pattern.

Maybe I just need to wait and reevaluate after the first cycle finishes and see if I feel better about it.

17 minutes ago, wolfien8 said:

Anyone else kind of feeling meh about the stories? The 2 parter things and the lack of real progression. Let's see something happen! Honestly they feel very short and nothing happening. The opening clan ones were good, but since those there have been no story things. The Unicorn had their magic outlawed and the writing matched that, but more just set up a decision and gave a result. The Scorpion/Dragon one was neat, but lacked much progression, just some information. This Crab/Unicorn was a big walk through the forest and then surprise there is a Crab. I just feel like all of the stories just haven't been very complete and a little too short. I wish they would do some longer ones and maybe a little quicker. The story feels like it is in a holding pattern.

Maybe I just need to wait and reevaluate after the first cycle finishes and see if I feel better about it.

With the game not even out yet, all we have received is prologue so far. I don't see them advancing the story of the game when the game is not even out. 

Good Falcon name-dropping, and good fleshing out of some low-level Unicorn characters. Hopefully these guys stick around as a point of contact with the Clan below the daimyo level- it's something we were clamoring for near the end of AEG's run and which they were working on giving us- characters to follow for the Clans, something that had basically vanished by about the middle of Celestial Edition, give or take- many clans had no characters they were particularly invested in, which made their struggles and triumphs hard to get behind.

Hmm.

In the original story, while the Crab and Unicorn had major interactions with the Naga later on, it was Mirumoto Daini who first contacted them and helped bring them into an alliance with Rokugan (he even married a Naga, and they had a son. Yeah, weird).  Things took a bad turn later for a bit when Daini's sister Hitoomi whent crazy for awhile and let Kokujin do something really, really bad that made the Naga attack the Dragon clan - and Daini joined the Naga permanently at that point.

I know this is a new story, but I'll be somewhat disappointed if the Dragon have no part in the early interactions with the Naga, if  that is where this is leading.