HistoryGuy

OP PCs

18 minutes ago, HistoryGuy said:

I am currently working on how to arrange it so the second group can play elsewhere. 

The player that left was my Cousin and the next one that's ready to quit is my wife. So I know the change of location will help. The problem player is just a friend who offered to let us play at his place. 

Ooof, yeah, if the wife isn't happy, your life will be cra...er, less than desirable.  

Yeah, I would mirror everyone else's experiences. Have a direct conversation, though given there are already people leaving, I would cut your losses and find somewhere else to play. He's clearly much too abrasive a presence to have around your table.

At the end of the day, the GM's word is law; if the GM wants to use an approximation of a rule to keep the session going, that's his parrogative. Although this system encourages shared story telling, the GM has to do the planning and as such it's only fair he gets right of way on things that make the game easier to run.

To be fair it depends on the style of campaign too, in our 80's action style campaign he doesn't actually sound all that tough; my PC rolls between 4/6 defence dice thanks to defence and foresee and often has sense commited, with he potential to dodge 3 times. That being said my character is appropriate for the narrative of this high level campaign. So I find that the problem is less so the character, who is often easily countered by just putting up someone as tough as him to outwit, but the other things. That being said there are plenty of narrative ways to make the "jedi" life much harder; smuggling contacts being unwilling to deal with Jedi e.c.t. There was about a 1/2 year period of time where my PC was the only character with the lightsaber, but he never ever used it offensively unless he was absolutely certain no one seen him use it, largely because he knew it was much more trouble then it was worth.

Edited by LordBritish

2 hours ago, Endersai said:

Yeah so, I might need to get help from people here, but there's some good examples of how to manage the d20 mentality and players like that in the Order 66 podcast.

Quick, someone light the @DarthGM signal?

That isnt a 'd20 mentality' it is just being a horses backside.

22 hours ago, HistoryGuy said:

I should also say this player like to fight me on every single ruling I make that he doesn't like. There have been times I have to stop the session for a few minutes just to look up the rules and show him the RAW. And even then he'll still complain. 

It's one thing to be a munchkin, but a rules lawyer on top of that? I'm surprised you haven't buried your fingers in his eye sockets, like a blind man trying to read minds. 

I reccomend throwing some burn damage his way from time to time - that bounty hunter that's chasing after the group might know how hard it is to land a hit on this guy, but when they're firing poisoned darts with slugthrowers (because **** reflect, that's why), they know they only have to hit him the one time.

Working on that train of thought, how good is this guy's resilience?

22 hours ago, HistoryGuy said:

I do like this idea because a some of the players have told me that they feel kinda useless because he is trying to make himself so good at everything. I even had a player leave and another threatening to leave because of him. I do have support from a couple other players and the one that left to start a new group. 

Jesus Christ, man! If this problem player is this detrimental to the party, you NEED to get him out of your game. I actually read through the first page before commenting this time, so I know my ideas for solutions have already been proposed, but I would just like to say that you have messiah-like patience if you've put up with this guy this far.

14 hours ago, Endersai said:

Yeah so, I might need to get help from people here, but there's some good examples of how to manage the d20 mentality and players like that in the Order 66 podcast.

Quick, someone light the @DarthGM signal?

Nothing wrong with bringing a D&D mentality to the game, but when the player is knowingly ruining the game experience of multiple other players, that reflects quite poorly on him as a friend.

16 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

Slugthrowers....

Reflect: Yes

Improved Reflect: No

From the description of the Reflect talent in FaD's core rulebook, p. 150: "The ranged attack must be one that is able to be reflected and redirected (generally only blaster weapons or other energy attacks fall into this category; anything else is subject to GM oversight)"

Did that line get errata'd out or something? If so, then FFG needs to lay off the paint chips, and GM adjudication is desperately needed.

Edit: looks like I need to lay off the paint chips too, because I was definitely reading Improved Parry.

Further edit: With the aforementioned comic in mind, it appears that I and I alone have developed a craving for lead-based paints. I retract all statements implying the mental health of FFG's SWRPG crew is degrading. I will, of course, leave the implications on the public redord, for posterity and for comedic relief. Remember, kids, lead poisoning is hilarious!

Edited by Degenerate Mind

20 hours ago, HistoryGuy said:

I am currently working on how to arrange it so the second group can play elsewhere. 

The player that left was my Cousin and the next one that's ready to quit is my wife. So I know the change of location will help. The problem player is just a friend who offered to let us play at his place. 

OK. Word of advice from an older married guy. Ditch your buddy asap. If your wife is ready to walk out, you pretty much need to pick your battles... and that one just isn't worth even considering.

Everyone involved is going to have more fun if your pal isn't involved, and if he's being that problematic, he most likely isn't enjoying it much either.

Create an adversary 4 nemesis just for him. Make sure to describe this NPC as detailed as possible to show off how much of a bad mofo he is. Lure rules lawyer into battle, tell him that a hit is against 4 red, and see what he does.

Less combat! More of the interesting stuff! This is an RPG not ASL, for what it's worth.

The Gadgeteer in my group at 800+ XP and tens of thousands credits worth of armament will usually just remove most physical adversity by himself; the others just stand by, prop him up a little, do what they're best at. Why, the Mech does all the Slicing, the Face most of the Talking etc. If you balance the encounters properly, there won't be a problem.

2 minutes ago, Grimmerling said:

Less combat! More of the interesting stuff! This is an RPG not ASL, for what it's worth.

The Gadgeteer in my group at 800+ XP and tens of thousands credits worth of armament will usually just remove most physical adversity by himself; the others just stand by, prop him up a little, do what they're best at. Why, the Mech does all the Slicing, the Face most of the Talking etc. If you balance the encounters properly, there won't be a problem.

ASL? I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with that term.

I had a similar situation. I ended up finding a new group to GM.

Edit, expanding on post
I should mention that I first talked with the other players. They were annoyed, but didn't want to rock the boat. Since the other players were OK with it, I continued on. But eventually, it got to the point that I was tired of trying to vary encounters and give other players their opportunity, and still having the OP constantly interfere with their solutions.  "When your only tool is a hammer" etc.  One point to remember is that the GM is also 'playing' the game, and should be enjoying it too. If an OP player is ruining it for you, there's no reason to continue.

As a side note: two players from the previous group are in my current campaign, and we are all enjoying the game much more. 

Edited by GM Stark

Get him in a ship, blow the ship to smithereens.

I have/had a similar PC in my group that had the sideswinder rotary cannon. He blew down Inquisitors, with his Brace, and Double Down. Autofiring everything to death. I found that when the team was encountered in space, and they had to have a space battle. We didn't have a hotshot pilot to pull off amazing pilot rolls. So I found that even two M3-A Sycks could really punch holes in the ship.

I also got my licks in by letting him go against enemies with Adversary, hope for those despairs so I could start breaking his gun. Even minor damage on it starts to hinder him and all that auto-fire.

Yes, we've adopted the house rule of +1 additional Advantage needed past the first Auto-fire.

@Degenerate Mind There was a post months back that talked about different house rules used by others to attempt to balance their tables further beyond the RAW. There was a mention about how Auto-fire is OP. So to counter it. Instead of the cost always being 2 advantages for another target or another application of the damage. It costs an additional advantage beyond the first. 2,3,4,...etc.

The same player I mention above could literally clear rooms of minion level baddies. If they rolled the highest Initiative, nobody else really had to do anything.