Stovrose38

Corellian Conflict One Sided?

6 hours ago, Yipe said:

I think Show of Force is the real culprit here.  As the Imperial Grand Admiral in my first campaign, I definitely abused Show of Force because... why not?  It was a no brainer to add an extra 120 resources to your team each turn and possibly gain initiative in the process (0 CPs from a SoF victory).  This allows you to pivot from a big money grab on turn 1 to launch a pair of base assaults with massive fleets on turns 2-3.

I totally see now why a lot of people feel that Show of Force is broken. It's stupidly easy to get 120 resources. It is MUCH harder to get 120 from Hyperlane Raid. 

Edited by SQUIDwarrior

On 10/7/2017 at 0:55 AM, X Wing Nut said:

we have 6 players in ours and we added a rule you don't play the same player again until you have played all other players. anyone else done this?

We don't have an explicit rule, but we have tried to steer our games toward players who haven't played each other.  It makes for a more fun experience.

Only played once but the empire dominated from round one. Both My rebel teammates got trashed and I for a narrow victory. 2nd round My friends lost again and we were now facing three 500p lists with enough refit too survive anything.

I think the missions are pretty unbalanced and the selling point of the campaign was that you could elliminate uniqes like demo or rhymer, but refit points made this an impossibility unless you table you opponent twice.

I had high hopes but I doubt I will play again. Unless you get 4-6 players with about the same skill and a casual mindset. Otherwise i rather play standalone matches

I’ve been brainstorming ways to incorporate the Task Force format (200pts, 3x3 map, etc) into CC. One idea is a “prologue” level at the outset where battles do not gain cp and base assaults/special assaults are not allowed, and there would be some condition that would kick off the campaign’s normal rules/structure. Maybe the task force battles determine where the initial based and outposts get placed (other than Corellia), and the sides gain resources only from those. The campaign starts when one side has placed a certain number of bases (the rest get filled in before the first real campaign turn).

My other notion was that if you had a lot of people playing, like at least 5 on each side, there would only be 3 400+ point fleets per side and the rest would be Task Forces (with a 300 point cap). The task forces can’t battle fleets and can’t earn cp, but successful attacks have some other effect. Maybe you gain bonus resources, maybe a successful (non-base assault) attack on an enemy’s base or outpost shuts it down for a turn and they gain no resources or other bonuses from it. The “attack the outpost” scenario (or whatever it’s called) could be the task force version of a special assault, but it requires 2 task forces per side.

Just what I’m kicking around...

[edit: Forgot to mention that for my second idea — the mix of fleets and tasknforces — you wouldn’t scrap fleets the usual way. Instead, you demote one player from fleet admiral to commander of a task force (starting at 200 points), and then promote one of the task forces to a full fleet by giving them enough resources from your reserve to bring them up to at least 400.]

Edited by Tayloraj100

I've been through two campaigns and I don't think it's inherently imbalanced, especially not towards Imperials.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the repair costs between the two factions. Scarring an ISD is a major resource drain to repair, it's actually part of what won my Rebel team the second campaign I think.

I do feel that team skill/experience counts for a lot on the table but strategic choices like hyperspacing out and careful choice of initial worlds and targets also plays a large part.

On 10/23/2017 at 0:40 PM, SpaceC0wboy said:

Scarring an ISD is a major resource drain to repair, it's actually part of what won my Rebel team the second campaign I think.

Of all the asymmetric factors in the campaign, repair cost isn't really something that impacts one faction significantly more than the other.  I mean, it's true that ISDs are expensive, but losing 120 points worth of hull of anything is going to be the same price to repair whether it's an ISD or Yavaris+MC30T.  In fact, it's marginally more expensive to repair multiple small ships or squadrons, since you round up fractional costs individually.

2 hours ago, Ardaedhel said:

Of all the asymmetric factors in the campaign, repair cost isn't really something that impacts one faction significantly more than the other.  I mean, it's true that ISDs are expensive, but losing 120 points worth of hull of anything is going to be the same price to repair whether it's an ISD or Yavaris+MC30T.  In fact, it's marginally more expensive to repair multiple small ships or squadrons, since you round up fractional costs individually.

Amen to that, especially the last part.

I played a CC and brought a bunch of odd point generic squadrons and aces. It KILLED my refit with wasted points from rounding up on every single squad 10 times after every match.

By far and away the biggest factor in how your campaign plays out will be how balanced the teams are... Make sure to get this right. After that, you may want the better team as the rebels. Or introduce some handicaps... But team balance had to be top priority

Better team as rebels backfires horribly if they go aggro on bases super early. If they can cap Correllia turn 1 and deny them the turn 2 resources from there, if they can claim even 40 resources from the  Show of Force the campaign goes rebels super hard super fast, just as bad as it does Imperials.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:22 AM, Tayloraj100 said:

I’ve been brainstorming ways to incorporate the Task Force format (200pts, 3x3 map, etc) into CC. One idea is a “prologue” level at the outset where battles do not gain cp and base assaults/special assaults are not allowed, and there would be some condition that would kick off the campaign’s normal rules/structure. Maybe the task force battles determine where the initial based and outposts get placed (other than Corellia), and the sides gain resources only from those. The campaign starts when one side has placed a certain number of bases (the rest get filled in before the first real campaign turn).

My other notion was that if you had a lot of people playing, like at least 5 on each side, there would only be 3 400+ point fleets per side and the rest would be Task Forces (with a 300 point cap). The task forces can’t battle fleets and can’t earn cp, but successful attacks have some other effect. Maybe you gain bonus resources, maybe a successful (non-base assault) attack on an enemy’s base or outpost shuts it down for a turn and they gain no resources or other bonuses from it. The “attack the outpost” scenario (or whatever it’s called) could be the task force version of a special assault, but it requires 2 task forces per side.

Just what I’m kicking around...

[edit: Forgot to mention that for my second idea — the mix of fleets and tasknforces — you wouldn’t scrap fleets the usual way. Instead, you demote one player from fleet admiral to commander of a task force (starting at 200 points), and then promote one of the task forces to a full fleet by giving them enough resources from your reserve to bring them up to at least 400.]

I wanna know how your Task Force experiment went. I'd bet that if you went from 200 to 250 to 300 to 350 to 400 points, itd be a wild ride for list building fun. 

Combining task forces in a mix and match style seems super duper fun too. 

Can you elaborate? If you want to use the dedicated Task Force thread to do it, I'd love it there too. 

On 11/28/2017 at 3:21 AM, Blail Blerg said:

I wanna know how your Task Force experiment went. I'd bet that if you went from 200 to 250 to 300 to 350 to 400 points, itd be a wild ride for list building fun. 

Combining task forces in a mix and match style seems super duper fun too. 

Can you elaborate? If you want to use the dedicated Task Force thread to do it, I'd love it there too. 

It's more a brainstorm than an experiment. My friend and I are only into our third BATTLE in our CC campaign after many months. I barely get to play (anything) at all. I have several ideas for tweaks to the CC, but they are purely theoretical. I am slowly typing them up so I can post them here in the hopes that other folks may get to try them out.

I've played in two campaigns thus far. One went sideways for the Empire (:() due to player-skill imbalance (also didn't help when @Admiral Theia trounced one of my Imperial minions in front of his girlfriend, causing him to quit). Currently, things are looking very well for the Empire after a rocky start.

I don't know. I'm not at all convinced that the CC is imbalanced against the Rebels. I could argue points to the contrary (and do so here).

I would also say that the Corellian Conflict should be imbalanced against the Rebellion, and it is an absolute travesty that it isn't. (Empire4Lyfe!)

I've played a 4-person campaign and we are just about done with a 6-person campaign. I don't see the campaign as terribly imbalanced, but I'd say that if anything Show of Force is a much better special for the Empire than Hyperlane is for Rebels. In the 6-person campaign, the Rebels tried a Hyperlane and the Imperials declared a Show of Force. The Rebel lost the Hyperlane, which netted the Empire 120 points. The Empire destroyed the stations but lost Show of Force, netting ANOTHER 80 pts. So, out of the gate the Empire got 200 resource points. The Rebels determined that Hyperlane Raid sucks, and immediately began focusing on bases. In a twist, the campaign has now swung extremely hard for the Rebels.

Our 4-person campaign was extremely close and the imperials managed a win in an All Out declared by the Rebels. I think the score was tied, or at least within 1 point.

On 12/18/2017 at 0:25 PM, fortyozspartan said:

I've played a 4-person campaign and we are just about done with a 6-person campaign. I don't see the campaign as terribly imbalanced, but I'd say that if anything Show of Force is a much better special for the Empire than Hyperlane is for Rebels. In the 6-person campaign, the Rebels tried a Hyperlane and the Imperials declared a Show of Force. The Rebel lost the Hyperlane, which netted the Empire 120 points. The Empire destroyed the stations but lost Show of Force, netting ANOTHER 80 pts. So, out of the gate the Empire got 200 resource points. The Rebels determined that Hyperlane Raid sucks, and immediately began focusing on bases. In a twist, the campaign has now swung extremely hard for the Rebels.

Our 4-person campaign was extremely close and the imperials managed a win in an All Out declared by the Rebels. I think the score was tied, or at least within 1 point.

The defending player only gets resource points for winning a special assault; The objective-based resource points (not to be confused with victory points) are exclusive to the attacker.

As far as our local campaign goes... The empire has definitely pulled ahead, but I'd put that down more to player skill and the somewhat awkward composition of the initial rebel fleets. We ended up letting the rebels all do an emergency (no-consequence) rebuild of their fleets, which has produced some much tighter fleets.