PadreBoniface

How many dice?

I'd say 3, as that will give you 6 of each die*, which should be enough. I think it would be a rare occurrence to ever exceed 6 dice of one type.

*If I recall correctly, somebody asked and we are getting 2 challenge dice, not 1 like the product page says, but I could be wrong.

Based on my experience with SW I agree with Blackbird on 3 sets. If you want to supply the die pool for the table 3 is about perfect. If you just need dice for the gm or one person then 2 is just fine though at higher xp levels you may end up re-rolling some.

To make any full dice pool you really want to have 3 sets without needing to roll the same die twice. But that then means everyone is passing dice constantly. We have 4 sets, I think another couple would be great. 

Basicly with more dice more players can build a dice pool out of turn. The Player can come up with an idea for their action, put together the dice they think they need, then when it's their turn the GM checks the dice, adjusts Difficulty/Setback appropriately then the roll happens.

It also speeds up Initiative too. Assume an average of 2 green and a yellow die for each PC on Initiative, 4 pc's then need 8 green and 4 yellow on average to all roll at the same time.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Based on my experience, 3 sets is enough (4 if you want to avoid some specific situations, with a lot of reds in a high level stuff).

Remember that you'll need at least one d100 (or the popular combination of 2d10's) or a RNG going from 0 to 100 to emulate this.

It's not the same, but there're alternatives, like apps to roll it.

I have four (One from each beginner set and one I bought separate) and that is more than enough for four to six starting players to share. If you are just taking your own to a session then two or three is plenty.

I like the app for auto-cancelling symbols and popping up the totals quickly, convenience winning out over the tactile feeling of rolling actual dice.  I know this question's off to the side of the OP's, but once you have your multiple sets of dice, and you make a given roll, how quickly can you read the results?

Seems like not having enough dice would create a really onerous problem of having to reroll and account for symbols that are no longer visible.  So yeah, in lieu of the app, I'd want to have enough dice that I'd never need to reroll.

On 10/3/2017 at 8:12 AM, kaosoe said:

I didn't feel like I had enough until I had 3 sets.

Now I have 7 sets and I no longer have to pass them around the table (we split them up into 2 piles and set them on each half of our table).

I found that once I crossed the line of six sets, I was drowning in dice. 

(Of course I'll have to pick up one more set here sometime soon. I've had the odd yellow or red go walkabout and they need replacing.)

I must have around 9 sets of SW dice, they fill a small pool for sure, I could bathe in them. Most came in with the Beginner sets (4 boxes in english, three boxes in german) :D 

After all a set costs $15 so you easily reach 75 for dice alone if you opt for 5 sets. If they are identical to the SW dice I also might start with one set and gather more at a slow pace as time passes on.

I got by with just 2 sets as a GM + 4-5 players. But there were many times an extra set would have come in handy, especially when the players skill ranks started to increase.
I have pre-ordered 3 sets (and a core rulebook) and expect that to be enough. Although I may want more so each player can build their dice pool out of turn. But untill I am sure I am going all in on this system I will keep it somewhat limited. I got tired of the Star Wars setting pretty fast and thus stopped playing the games. Even though I really loved the system.

If they do Beginner sets for a setting I like, similar to the Star Wars ones, I may pick one up. Even if I and my players should be at home with the new system, the extra dice, cardboard chits and maps are handy stuff to have.

EDIT: Oh and I should say that 1-2 of my players used the dice roller app and also myself sometimes. Although I do prefer the tactile part of picking out your dice pool and rolling, even if tallying symbols is faster with the app.

Edited by Barl
Clarification

On 10/5/2017 at 1:53 PM, Desslok said:

I found that once I crossed the line of six sets, I was drowning in dice. 

(Of course I'll have to pick up one more set here sometime soon. I've had the odd yellow or red go walkabout and they need replacing.)

With TFA boxed set I have seven sets now and my Star Wars tin I am keeping the dice in is getting hard to close. I still need to get the AoR beginner game so that will put me over the top. 

Depends on your group.  Our group of four spreads out across a living room, so we can't share dice very easily.  Almost all of us have two or three sets each.  If you're all sitting at a table with each other in relative close proximity, you can probably get away with just a few sets to share.

IMHO, the dice app is mandatory for Star Wars... reading the damnable dice without the app to do the cancellations would drive me nuts.  At some point I stopped trying to figure out how the symbols on the dice computed to the result at the bottom and just decided the app sends the rolled symbols back through time to some Greek Oracle in a temple that you couldn't even find the ruins of and that long-dead reader of entrails replies with the result.

The dice app is so absolutely, mind-numbingly, needfully worth the $5.

YMMV

46 minutes ago, dlw32 said:

The dice app is so absolutely, mind-numbingly, needfully worth the $5.

You can also save money using the free "EotE dice roller". I am not posting the link since I dont know FFG's policy about external links but google it. Its a webpage with a downloadable option for Star Wars EotE. It uses the EotE dice symbols but the downloadable option is actually an HTML page with embedded base64 encoded graphics for the dice so It wont be too difficult to replace the images Genesys equivolents. Of course, if you are familar with SW EotE then you can use it as you would the physical SW EotE dice.

I decided to up from 3 to 5 sets because sadly there is only one red die per set. I will have to make Genesys popular in my group and am aware that they will be reluctant to purcghase sets on their own. And as some players are parts from my family it will not matter anyways.

I wonder if the SW dice app will include Genesys as well or if it will be a stand alone app. I'll certainly purchase an app as well but I love the feel of physical dice too much than to rely solely on the app.

Edited by DarthDude