Sign in to follow this  
Stay On The Leader

September Pilot/Ship/Squad Rankings (Meta-Wing)

Summary:
The Attani Mindlink squads are finally done.  Fenn/Teroch/Inaldra all take big drops in the pilots chart, while Paratanni & Sick Fang Man drop out of the top squads.  The Protectorate Starfighter has been a solid fixture at the top of the ship rankings as the only 'ace' really able to hold its own in the bombs meta, but this month it plummets from being #1 ship in August to the #12 spot!

The meta drifts slightly more towards Rebel dominance.  Rebel Nym is now ranked ahead of Scum Nym, and the big growth in squads is coming in Miranda/Dash/Nym combinations, while Poe's brief moment in the sun appears to be over.

YBJ9mmq.png

5PvbvJA.png

CpnkOVa.png

UcT3rNU.png

I'm really surprised Rebel Nym is showing up more than Scum Nym. Admittedly, this is colored by having only faced the Scum version in my neck of the woods, but still.

On a more happy note, I am glad to see Jess Pava up there. After thinking her ability was gonna be sub par when first revealed, I'm happy to be wrong.

Just now, SabineKey said:

I'm really surprised Rebel Nym is showing up more than Scum Nym. Admittedly, this is colored by having only faced the Scum version in my neck of the woods, but still.

On a more happy note, I am glad to see Jess Pava up there. After thinking her ability was gonna be sub par when first revealed, I'm happy to be wrong.

There's still more Scum Nym being played, although the gap closed a bit from last month (from 37% more to 26% more), but it looks like Rebel players are finding better partners for him.

1 hour ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Poe's brief moment in the sun appears to be over.

Poetensity never was actually very good, people were just taking the bait on him and letting Dash pummel them.  It was only a matter of time before that trick was overexposed.  :(

Well now this is genuinely an interesting report !

I haven't seen it before, it's interesting to see what ship has moved up or down the table over the last wave. 

1 minute ago, Drukona said:

Well now this is genuinely an interesting report !

I haven't seen it before, it's interesting to see what ship has moved up or down the table over the last wave. 

Thanks!  I pulled it together for the first time last month just to get all the formulae and charts working smoothly without me having to make many manual changes each time.

Only takes me half an hour or so to update each time I want to run it.

36 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Not surprising IMHO.  Rebel Nym is better equipped for the long game than Scum Nym, especially in combination with a partner like Dash or Miranda.  Rebel Nym + TLT/Bomblet is all about range control and closing off movement options for your opponent.  Not saying Scum Nym can't also do this, but Rebel Nym does it better.

yes, Denym stuck!

it's a very important point to get across: Nym's competitive viability is defined entirely by either how broken his partner is (Dengar, Miranda speak for themselves) or how much bombs synergize with Dash

Really should be Mirnym, but I see how Nymranda rolls off the tongue

Edited by ficklegreendice

Just now, Stay On The Leader said:

I think that's not just possible, it's certain.  Rebel Nym's ability >>> Scum Nym's ability if you're using it properly.

Then it‘s to be expected that RebelNym will increase his success over time as people improve.

Scum Nym might then decrease over time with the argument that NymPlayers will switch to rebels as they improve, while the less skilled still rely on eg DeNym which is easy to play but won‘t make it far against other good players. So high SquadNumbers but low success rate

1 hour ago, SabineKey said:

imo Rebel Nym has always been superior, if for nothing else the other ships he can be paired with.. 

I'm curious why this OPCubed list is having such success - is it because Miranda can do the work of Jess and Rex combined? 

1 minute ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

imo Rebel Nym has always been superior, if for nothing else the other ships he can be paired with.. 

I'm curious why this OPCubed list is having such success - is it because Miranda can do the work of Jess and Rex combined? 

It takes the immediate early game obstacle of Biggs/Lowhhrick but adds a devastating endgame threat in Miranda. 

It's quite a lot like Paul Heaver's Naboo Open winner in structure, which had Biggs/Stresshog you had to deal with before you could really start to tackle Miranda.

30 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Not surprising IMHO.  Rebel Nym is better equipped for the long game than Scum Nym, especially in combination with a partner like Dash or Miranda.  Rebel Nym + TLT/Bomblet is all about range control and closing off movement options for your opponent.  Not saying Scum Nym can't also do this, but Rebel Nym does it better.

1 minute ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Fair enough. I don't think I've come across Rebel Nym in my personal playing, so I'm a bit behind on the comparison between that version and his Scummy self.

2 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Fair enough. I don't think I've come across Rebel Nym in my personal playing, so I'm a bit behind on the comparison between that version and his Scummy self.

i took Mirandym to NoVa and loved it. Paul copied my list, ofc, and won the whole thing.. 
It wasn't toooooo prolific at that event. I think we had the "edge" (but I clearly didn't have the skill to finish well)

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

7 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Rebel Nym's ability >>> Scum Nym's ability if you're using it properly.

...and if you're flying with the correct partners.

@pheaver 's Rebel Nym + Miranda gives away no points when below health (much to my personal fury at Nationals), covers a **** of a lot of the board with retainable bombs, benefits from Sabine and with TLT you're pretty much forced to chase them for the game.

Dengar/Dash make inferior partners for the half-health reason alone.  Even the incoming Advanced SLAM rewrite isn't going to affect this build a huge deal, as Advanced SLAM will be substituted out for Experimental Interface.

7 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Scouts.  Still.  Goddammit FFG fix your mistake already.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. I've been pretty bummed out by the state of X-wing for a while now. It just seems like they've given up any pretence of actually caring if the game is balanced, and are just chasing the flavour of the month cash, much like GW did.

8 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Scouts.  Still.  Goddammit FFG fix your mistake already.

This metagame is perfect for Scouts.

They've got a load of hull so don't melt to TLT/Bombs, their big base and barrel roll makes them great at blocking and helps to keep close to TLTs, they can torp down bigger ships so 9 or 10 hull isn't an issue, and their little turrets love that there's not much Agility around at present.  Plus Rigged Cargo Chute is amazeballs.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

Just now, thespaceinvader said:

The fact that it's the perfect storm for them doesn't excuse them.

I know what you mean.  But in the past Scouts have ram-raided the metagame and set the agenda through sheer power level.  This time the rest of metagame has demonstrably caught up to them in power level because they've been gone a while - they're coming back reactively rather than proactively.

2 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

I know what you mean.  But in the past Scouts have ram-raided the metagame and set the agenda through sheer power level.  This time the rest of metagame has demonstrably caught up to them in power level because they've been gone a while - they're coming back reactively rather than proactively.

Sad day when the Jump is not OP without a (third) nerf...