Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

Who's missing from IA

I'm no skirmish player.  I'm approaching this thread from a campaign player point of view.  To be honest, more is generally always better, but there's already a lot of villains that are not showing up as often as I'd like.  I'm not entirely sold on the idea of adding more characters that will see very fiew play time. 

For campaign, what could be fun if FFG takes a break from molding figures/creating whole campaigns would be for them to create all new independent mission scenarios (maybe some grey missions) including some of these villains built-in those missions.  For example, I'd like to see Boba Fett (out of TS campaign) comes out more often!

I could see them selling a pack of X new side missions with reward cards to be added to the side mission decks.  

Anyway, back on topic.  If we are to get more units, my wish list would go like this : 4-Lom and Zuckuss (for completeness), Nien Nunb would be nice to see another species added to the game, the ewoks as part of an hypothetical Endor box (to come full circle regarding the OT),  and maybe some imperial army troopers to get different imperial units from the Stormtroopers and its variant.     

Edited by IanSolo_FFG

I would like:

-[ep IV-VI] Yoda, Nien Nunb, Ackbar, Tarkin,

-[ep I-III] Qui Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, Grevious, clone troopers, battle droids, droidekas,

-[rebels, expanded universe] Kanan Jarrus, Thrawn, Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, shadow troopers,

-Other races troops (sullustan, gran, bothan, ithorian, ...).

I would not like:

-4-LOM, Zuckuss, ewoks.

1 hour ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

I'm no skirmish player.  I'm approaching this thread from a campaign player point of view.  To be honest, more is generally always better, but there's already a lot of villains that are not showing up as often as I'd like.  I'm not entirely sold on the idea of adding more characters that will see very fiew play time. 

Yeah, that's becoming apparent.  

I think that one possible way to change this is for future missions to include items like this:

"A hidden door near you opens, and you see a familiar figure emerge."

Deploy a Rebel Unique Ally with threat cost equal to or less than x

In this case, x could be a specific number, the threat level, anything really.  

Jabba's Realm spoilers

We kind of saw something like this in the Trophy Hunting mission for Jabba's Realm,when the heroes could choose any Merc hero other than Jabba as a friendly deployment group.  It was a little unbalanced (because honestly, who'd choose Greedo over IG-88?) but I think making a threat cap for some of these could allow players to bring in some allies or villains that wouldn't normally get much play, while not causing the trigger to require any specific expansions. [\spoiler]

44 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Yeah, that's becoming apparent.  

Reveal hidden contents

We kind of saw something like this in the Trophy Hunting mission for Jabba's Realm,when the heroes could choose any Merc hero other than Jabba as a friendly deployment group.  It was a little unbalanced (because honestly, who'd choose Greedo over IG-88?) but I think making a threat cap for some of these could allow players to bring in some allies or villains that wouldn't normally get much play, while not causing the trigger to require any specific expansions. [\spoiler]

I'm so predictable ... ;)

Jabba's Realm spoiler

Yes you're right!  Trophy hunting was nice for that.  To a certain extend, the Nemesis class deck is also a great tool to have some villains appear more often.    

I know  (and I wouldn't want) the villains are not meant to appear during each and every missions.  Also, I understand that from a market point of view it may not be the best model to release an extension that rely on other extensions (like forcing Boba Fett and some heavy troopers in a specific Jabba's Realm mission), but that'd be cool if the chances for Boba Fett showing up in Jabba's Realm campaign for example were not relying almost only on his agenda card mission (besides what's been discussed in the spoiler tag).  

41 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

I'm so predictable ... ;)

Haha, just to clarify, I wasn't saying it was "apparent" that you weren't a skirmish player- I'm not either!

I was referring to how over the course of the game's life, we've seen diminishing returns for adding more and more allies and villains.  :P

But yeah, the way I see it, each mission shouldn't necessarily feature an ally or villain... but, the way it is now, if a side has earned an ally or villain it's very possible that each mission will feature the same ally or villain.  And in my opinion, that's actually far worse.

I'd rather see a Palpatine once, then maybe run across Greedo and a Royal Guard Champ then constantly be running into Palpatine every mission.

27 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Haha, just to clarify, I wasn't saying it was "apparent" that you weren't a skirmish player- I'm not either!

I was referring to how over the course of the game's life, we've seen diminishing returns for adding more and more allies and villains.  :P

Well both are true ;) 

27 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

But yeah, the way I see it, each mission shouldn't necessarily feature an ally or villain... but, the way it is now, if a side has earned an ally or villain it's very possible that each mission will feature the same ally or villain.  And in my opinion, that's actually far worse.

I'd rather see a Palpatine once, then maybe run across Greedo and a Royal Guard Champ then constantly be running into Palpatine every mission.

Totally agree!  Nemesis is a great step forward in terms of adding some villains to your campaign.  Maybe the next step could be to let the villains you can add to your open groups vary from one mission to the other with maybe some thematic flavor.  

For the upcoming heart of the Empire expansion box, I think it's no secret that Palpatine is going to be integrated in a couple of missions.  It would be great to use the Nemesis deck such that for one mission you add general Sorin to your open groups.  Then the next mission maybe it will be Kayn Somos, then for later stage maybe it's royal guard champion and it culminates with Vader for the final mission!  

Maybe we'll find out Vader and RGC are already included in some of the missions since they are Core components, but it would be nice and I think thematic to have Villains from other expansion show up via the Nemesis, if we were allowed to select a different one from one mission to the other (Sorin, Weiss, Somos would be thematic considering, well, it's the Heart of the Empire)  ... hellllloooo house rule!!!! ;)    

Edited by IanSolo_FFG

18 hours ago, MarekMandalore said:

Mandalorians for both sides: Fenn Rau, Sabine Wren and Death Watch/Night Owls with the Rebels, and Imperial Supercommandoes under Gar Saxon or whoever takes his place on the Imperial side.

I was talking with friends last week about creating awhole new Mandalorian faction. 

So I'm thinking that there's various clans in mandalore. Each clan would have traits. Plus theres the protectorate and that group of revolutionaries. So in a campaign you could have a clan affiliated with the empire led by Captain Badass. Then you would have Fenn leading a scum clan (protectorates). Then Sabine for the rebels.

They would all be mandals though. Just affiliates. So in skirmish you would have enough units to field a squad. The box would come with several small base groups with different abilities. All Mandalorian. Probably a melee guardian/trooper for empire clan, a jet pack spy/smuggler for the protectorate, and a heavy weapon on Sabine's side. Their affiliation would only be important for campaign missions. In skirmish they would function as a separate faction. The box would come with a boba skirmish upgrade to make him better but used only as a mandalorian. Probably Shyla too, Just to add figures to the faction. And you could have 2-3 new Mandalorian heroes added in. They'd be "rebels" for the campaign, but Mandalorian in skirmish. 

I want to see an Endor/early post-Endor (mini-)campaign featuring something along these lines.

Imperials
-- 4x Scout Trooper (Hide for the Imps., yay! No speeder bike though; the game can't handle that speed, I think)
-- 4x Special Commando (i.e. Inferno Squad, maybe even named as such)
-- Blister Pack: Iden Versio, Inferno Squad Commander
-- Blister Pack: 2x Imperial Navy Trooper
-- Blister Pack: Some new Imp character in the 7-10 pts. range

Rebels
-- Hero: ex-Partisan of Saw Gerrera's
-- Hero: SpecForce Pathfinder Soldier
-- Blister Pack: 3x Ewok braves
-- Blister Pack: Nic Sant aka. Rex
-- Blister Pack: Nien Nunb or some other mid-range Alliance fighter (possibly not Nien Nunb or other pilots though)

4 hours ago, angelman2 said:

I want to see an Endor/early post-Endor (mini-)campaign featuring something along these lines.

Imperials
-- 4x Scout Trooper (Hide for the Imps., yay! No speeder bike though; the game can't handle that speed, I think)

swi28_isb-infiltrator.png swi_isb-infiltrator-elite.png

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Based on other comments I may be in the minority here, but I just want new fresh content for years to come, even if that means digging into new time periods and continuing to create heroes/villains exclusive to IA. I'm happy with prequel content, Rogue One, Rebels, Rey/Finn era, Legends material (from approximately these eras, not Revan or anything like that), etc. If I can justify and have fun playing a Bantha riding Tusken alongside Luke Skywalker off of Tatooine, like on the ISB map (which I've done before), then I shouldn't be terribly upset about fielding Rey alongside R1 Jyn and Yoda, continuity be damned.

I love the Star Wars setting and don't want anything too ridiculous; I'm not sure how I feel about Ewoks yet, but I wouldn't be upset if they came out. First and foremost though I want an interesting and balanced game with a healthy meta. I want more options and characters with creative unique abilities that limit power creep as much as possible (so I can play with my favorite older figures) and that open up more pathways to victory. I want to see more viable strategies with counters, leading to a meta with no one dominant list, but not so 'rock-paper-scissors' that good tactics won't win you an unfavorable match-up.

13 hours ago, turkishvancat said:

Based on other comments I may be in the minority here, but I just want new fresh content for years to come, even if that means digging into new time periods and continuing to create heroes/villains exclusive to IA. I'm happy with prequel content, Rogue One, Rebels, Rey/Finn era, Legends material (from approximately these eras, not Revan or anything like that), etc. If I can justify and have fun playing a Bantha riding Tusken alongside Luke Skywalker off of Tatooine, like on the ISB map (which I've done before), then I shouldn't be terribly upset about fielding Rey alongside R1 Jyn and Yoda, continuity be damned.

I love the Star Wars setting and don't want anything too ridiculous; I'm not sure how I feel about Ewoks yet, but I wouldn't be upset if they came out. First and foremost though I want an interesting and balanced game with a healthy meta. I want more options and characters with creative unique abilities that limit power creep as much as possible (so I can play with my favorite older figures) and that open up more pathways to victory. I want to see more viable strategies with counters, leading to a meta with no one dominant list, but not so 'rock-paper-scissors' that good tactics won't win you an unfavorable match-up.

Having watched this in Star Wars Miniatures, if you constantly get new content it necessarily eliminates older content, as people expect the rules to keep changing for the sake of the almighty meta.  The best thing for IA would be to stop at some point and balance all the figures so that there is more options, but that's not the best thing for FFGs bottom line.  This is not a particular granular game, so after a while new characters are going to be the same as old characters, unless you start bringing in new special abilities just to quantify some movie moment, and then it starts messing with the meta, because it turns out one ability is really good, or has some great synergy with something else, and bam, that's all that's played.  It's my own personal baggage, but I hate skirmish.  I hope Legion scratches that itch and IA can continue being a campaign based game.  

I want Mercenary Gran Grenadiers. The three eyed aliens are so classic to Star Wars, especially EU, and I loved their role in the old games like Dark Forces where they just stand back lobbing thermal detonators. They would be awesome. 
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/575650375520218360/4AACCCFB069CF32A42EFF5481CE58ABD3563C26D/4AACCCFB069CF32A42EFF5481CE58ABD3563C26D

Edited by tomkat364

5 hours ago, tomkat364 said:

I want Mercenary Gran Grenadiers. The three eyed aliens are so classic to Star Wars, especially EU, and I loved their role in the old games like Dark Forces where they just stand back lobbing thermal detonators. They would be awesome. 
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/575650375520218360/4AACCCFB069CF32A42EFF5481CE58ABD3563C26D/4AACCCFB069CF32A42EFF5481CE58ABD3563C26D

Jedi Knight 2, push the grenades back to them.  The force push someone off the ledge.  Good times.

I want a rebels expansion that makes all the rebels cartoon characters into playable campaign heroes. you know a Star Wars game where you can flipping play as the starwars characters and does not have this lame RPG baggage.

Edited by TylerTT