Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
taylorcowbell

Vicious Rippers

61 posts in this topic

So, just wondering if this is the article being wrong again. But dead sprint modifies your first march action. Would that not be the one that you take before revealing your dial? So either make it a 2 straight or a 1 bank?

Curlycross and Wraithist like this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, taylorcowbell said:

So, just wondering if this is the article being wrong again. But dead sprint modifies your first march action. Would that not be the one that you take before revealing your dial? So either make it a 2 straight or a 1 bank?

Good question, since all it says is first [march icon].  And the fleshripper card says before you reveal your command, you must perform a speed-1 [march icon].

However.. activation step 1 is: Reveal your command dial.  So are we NOT 'during' activation for this dead sprint to trigger? So the first mandatory move cannot be affected?

Edited by Glucose98
Parakitor likes this

The Flesh Rippers seem amazing to me.  Definitely an expensive unit, but they are nasty.  

Right now I'm thinking a couple 2x2 units.  Dead Sprint lets you do a 1-turn, Rally, Reform opening to start finding flanking lanes.  Use your token to ready the Moment of Inspiration die you are going to unleash on someone.  

And if needed you could potentially charge archers from our of range between the free 2 move (with dead sprint) and then a 4 speed charge (if runes are nice). Or just move 8 in one turn just in case for some reason you need to

Curlycross likes this

6 minutes ago, taylorcowbell said:

I'm 99% certain that's how the upgrade is supposed to work.  There is no "before revealing dial" window outside of an activation

7 minutes ago, taylorcowbell said:

The article is decidedly wrong again. They always are, somehow.

Dead Sprint is going to modify your first March. Flesh Rippers have a compulsory March that occurs after Activation but before Dial Reveal. Immobilize can only cancel March/Shift on the dial.

Therefor... Dead Sprint will ALWAYS modify the compulsory March.

Just now, taylorcowbell said:

And if needed you could potentially charge archers from our of range between the free 2 move (with dead sprint) and then a 4 speed charge (if runes are nice). Or just move 8 in one turn just in case for some reason you need to

Yeah definitely.  These buggers annihilate Archers

8 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

The article is decidedly wrong again. They always are, somehow.

Dead Sprint is going to modify your first March. Flesh Rippers have a compulsory March that occurs after Activation but before Dial Reveal. Immobilize can only cancel March/Shift on the dial.

Therefor... Dead Sprint will ALWAYS modify the compulsory March.

How do we know that the compulsory march is after activation? I realize it.. sort of has to be, but rules-wise do we assume "Activate unit" is step 0 in activation?

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

How do we know that the compulsory march is after activation? I realize it.. sort of has to be, but rules-wise do we assume "Activate unit" is step 0 in activation?

It is.

RR 5 "Activation" reads: "Units are activated during the Activation Phase. When a player activates one of his units, he resolves the following steps in order.

Step one is "Reveal Command Tool" so, by that time, you've already nominated and activated your unit.

Edited by Tvayumat

4 minutes ago, Cyiel said:

And they delete the preview.

Well that answers the question about the article being wrong.  :)  I guess dead sprint is all about the compulsory move 

Wraithist likes this

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Cyiel said:

And they delete the preview.

Its still available on the "News" tab.

Looks like the saw what I said and removed it from there as well.

Edited by flightmaster101

Having dead sprint affect the first move makes it a ton more exciting anyway.  You can now get 2 movement, for free, and decide to charge next.  You could even engage with the 2 move - pick up a panic token, and then use the dialed 4-attack with the panic/surge on the attack.    You can also 'turn' twice resulting in a wheel.  May be able to get some charging flanks doing that.

Interesting.

Click5 likes this

7 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Having dead sprint affect the first move makes it a ton more exciting anyway.  You can now get 2 movement, for free, and decide to charge next.  You could even engage with the 2 move - pick up a panic token, and then use the dialed 4-attack with the panic/surge on the attack.    You can also 'turn' twice resulting in a wheel.  May be able to get some charging flanks doing that.

Interesting.

You can also land your unit within 1-2 of an enemy, dial in an attack, and rest assured that even if you lose the initiative to charge, you'll ALWAYS get to attack them. I like it.

Curlycross likes this

Hm, pretty bad dial. Not terrible, and has that free 1-move to consider, but even still. Plenty fast in a straight line, but if Oathsworn have taught me anything it's that mobility is important. Dead Sprint certainly improves things, may be near mandatory. I suspect the 1-move will make them better than they look, but at present they are not impressing me.

Surge+Moral for melee is interesting. Spined threshers has a hit+moral as modifier. So we can expect to inflict many moral tests with Uthuks.

4 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

Hm, pretty bad dial. Not terrible, and has that free 1-move to consider, but even still. Plenty fast in a straight line, but if Oathsworn have taught me anything it's that mobility is important. Dead Sprint certainly improves things, may be near mandatory. I suspect the 1-move will make them better than they look, but at present they are not impressing me.

With three wounds and one defense, they're going to be able to take a lot more Wound/Mortal Strike punishment than any other Cav unit.

Bhelliom likes this

1 hour ago, Tvayumat said:

With three wounds and one defense, they're going to be able to take a lot more Wound/Mortal Strike punishment than any other Cav unit.

Plus the shift. Oathsworn have no shift. 

Tvayumat likes this