Rabobankrider

Star Wars Clone Wars: Cyclone Squad OOC

Ok, this is where you guys have a decision to make. If you want you can press ahead to the temple from one last encounter this session, or you can call it here and I will dish out rewards. Bear in mind if you do push ahead in your current state, you may struggle, as you will be facing some high level enemies (as you probably suspect). I may have mentioned it earlier, but as this is a heavy combat/military focused campaign,  you will sometimes have to pick your battles. Fighting one battle may leave you worse off for future fights. It is something worth considering now you guys are out of Kamino. 

Well I mean, we follow orders...that's kind of our thing.  I get oocly we want to live, but the troopers don't think like that, not to an extent that is.   They are disposable soldiers for the Republic, literally bred to die to protect it.   If the squad hasn't received orders to withdraw, our previous orders would still stand I'd think.  Protect the civilians, contain the threat.

I mean if the rest of the squad wants to withdraw that's fine, but that's my and Spanner's thoughts on the matter.

Besides, this is Star Wars, death is like...coming down with a cold, you shake it off after a week.    And, it's generally considered, and confirmed by most devs, that you only DIE if you actually roll the Death result on a critical injury result.  Anything other than that, even into negative health is just "really really messed up, needs a bacta tank"

Edited by KungFuFerret

I agree with KungFuFerret we are republic clones we follow orders, no matter the insanity, like in the CW series it took Pong Krell to get the clones to disobey orders.

Slugger is in great condition having not taken much damage and now being healed to full. He’s low on strain and can deal lots of damage.

I say We fight! Live with Honor! Die with Glory! Both Slugger and I would charge in there.

OOC, I'd rather start a new mission so that I can get integrated into the squad more cleanly. IC, my character has reasons not to want to continue this mission.

Ok, so it does seem the group is leaning towards doing this final mission, just want to check everyone is on board for that?

Regarding the clones mindset towards sacrifice and being disposable, it is a good point, but you do have a jedi with you who won't see your characters that way (drawing on the likes of Yoda and Plo for that). 

The is a few 'perma death' situations I find in these games, mainly if you go down and there's no one to revive you. However it is worth saying now before  a scenario like this comes up that there are other situations that can cause death. For example if a pc is a captive lined up for execution in exchange for information or something, and the others refuse to turn it over, that can cause a death. Following this there may be a rare situation when a smart enemy can use a downed players as a hostage to try and end a fight. 

Most of it is common sense relative to the scenario really, if a player can't defend themselves, there is a risk of death (admittedly that is low and rare, but I feel I should just make sure that is clear). 

@Hchar and @Vergence, what's your view on this?

Well, akua really wants to go, and personally if i were there, i would want to go to, but given akua’s wounds are not really low, she might be in danger of being kinda useless in combat and i don’t want anyone to waste a turn getting her to safety and causing them to be knocked out/killed.

13 hours ago, player3333902 said:

Well, akua really wants to go, and personally if i were there, i would want to go to, but given akua’s wounds are not really low, she might be in danger of being kinda useless in combat and i don’t want anyone to waste a turn getting her to safety and causing them to be knocked out/killed.

You're no worse off than the rest of us who have taken hits, really. Maybe they could even spare an extra stim pack for a Commander? 

Also: Your Soak is listed as 2 on your sheet, whereas it should be at least a 4, maybe a 5 (depending on your armor's rating). 

If we're really going to do this, Cyclone Squad is just waiting for your orders!

@Rabobankrider I don't suppose you'd consider granting XP before we head into this encounter? If we live through it, I reckon we'll have earned some more, at any rate?

Sorry for the delay again guys, I'm going to try and get more posts up at latest by Wednesday (hopefully tomorrow). Also, is everyone happy with receiving xp at the end of sessions currently? I know that pbp's do mean that everything takes longer so just wanted to check if people wanted to try a change up of this?

I'm going to take this chance to check for some feedback, is everyone happy with how things are going? Anyone want more or less things done? Anything to be done differently etc?

Also unfortunately we will be losing @Vergence from the party at this stage. 

@Rabobankrider

I think a faster pace, in this campaign in particular, might help with player retention. In combat, if we are waiting on a player to act before the NPCs go, or before we can begin a new round... have there be a set amount of time to act, before moving on without them. 

That is not to say immediately remove them from the campaign, for just a few days of inactivity- just move on, assuming the character is temporarily tied up off-screen, briefly separated from the squad, whatever. Prolonged inactivity can be handled as it has been, but this would prevent a single player's "real life" issues from unduly bogging down the events unfolding in the game.

Without the sometimes lengthy stints waiting for someone to act, player immersion and interest (and keeping track of the details) will be easier to maintain.

I hope my feedback did not come across as excessively critical? The longevity of these pbp campaigns is quite an accomplishment, and the pace seems well within the normal range for these forum games.

It just strikes me that the player attrition can be self-perpetuating: one player stops posting, slowing the pace of the action to the point where others consequently become less invested in the story, and might also drop.

@Edgehawk, no no, it's a fair assessment, especially as this is very combat focused, meaning that participation by everyone is important for balance. I think what I'll do is give player 3 or so days during initiative to get their post sorted and then if they are unavailable I will have the character make a basic attack. That way you guys aren't missing out on attacks against enemies which could hurt other characters. 

21 hours ago, player3333902 said:

Hmmmm... anyone wants a trench? :P we can go ww1 style, bunker up, place those 2 repeating canons facing the droids and let it rip.

OOC, I'm not sure how to approach this defense. Heavy repeaters at the top of the steps? Or adjacent roofs, targeting steps? Not sure if there are any buildings near enough... @Rabobankrider ? One at each location? 

2 fire teams of 2, at any rate, with Gunslinger and the Commander trying to slow the advance and keep out of the crosshairs.

Just a brief overview of my character, since I'm new: he's basically designed for really close-ranged combat. Can take a hit pretty well and has a scattergun than can do damage to enemies within engaged range of my target as long as I fire from close range or less. Whatever our set-up is, I'd be most effective at the front of our defenses. Outside of that, I agree with @Edgehawk that it'd help to know a bit more about the general layout.