X Wing Nut

X Wing 2017 Epic October Tournament

14 posts in this topic

I’m trying to push Epic at our club a bit more. Did you do any house rules to deal with the broken combos in epic? No Zuckus in Epic ships for example?

X Wing Nut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, Estarriol said:

I’m trying to push Epic at our club a bit more. Did you do any house rules to deal with the broken combos in epic? No Zuckus in Epic ships for example?

We are looking into it. We found out that Epic Rules still have Mod Wins. but Zuckus should be banned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, Estarriol said:

I’m trying to push Epic at our club a bit more. Did you do any house rules to deal with the broken combos in epic? No Zuckus in Epic ships for example?

Zuckuss isn't too bad on an epic ship, to be honest. The only Scum epic ship to date is the C-ROC, which only has one hardpoint and no primary weapon - so it only gets to shoot once per turn - and frankly Dengar crew would be just as bad. For that matter you could point the same complaint (capital ship's immunity to stress) at General Hux.

Zuckuss might well be more of an issue if/when scum get a Corvette-class ship, but I'd like to think they'll take that into account - given the nastier scum crew, it wouldn't surprise me to see a corvette with multiple team slots but no crew slots.

 

 

Parakitor and LagJanson like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Zuckuss isn't too bad on an epic ship, to be honest. The only Scum epic ship to date is the C-ROC, which only has one hardpoint and no primary weapon - so it only gets to shoot once per turn - and frankly Dengar crew would be just as bad. For that matter you could point the same complaint (capital ship's immunity to stress) at General Hux.

Zuckuss might well be more of an issue if/when scum get a Corvette-class ship, but I'd like to think they'll take that into account - given the nastier scum crew, it wouldn't surprise me to see a corvette with multiple team slots but no crew slots.

 

 

You can take two decent c-rocs for the price of a reasonably built cr-90, and the scum crew make it rather better imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2017 at 1:12 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Yes, but only one of them can have Zuckuss.

And the other Dengar, so the basically have the same offensive power, just on different kinds of targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Astech said:

And the other Dengar, so the basically have the same offensive power, just on different kinds of targets.

True. But it does allow you to counter play with your own tactics - fighters are more maneuverable than cruiser's, after all, so you should be able to determine the engagement. Send your agile generics (A-wings, TIE fighters, M3-As) against the Dengar C-ROC, and your less agile ships against the Zuckuss C-ROC.

I'll agree that he may be wildly unbalanced on a huge ship with multiple hardpoints, mostly because Zuckuss crew is so efficient that he'll restrict squad building because all other options will be suboptimal. But in the mean time, I see it as a good challenge to try to overcome, and not really broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, asteroid placement in that first match is brutal. I can see why the epic tournament rules have very specific guidelines for setting out obstacles. With each asteroid spread out, it's tough for huge ships to get through without hitting any. I do want to try Epic this way some time so that I can make good use of Captain Needa.

X Wing Nut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I've made time to sit and watch these, I am really digging that CR90. It is putting in some major work! However, my jaw dropped when I watched 4:07:15, when Ian moves his CR90 and makes an asteroid disappear. He places his template down over the rock, and when he picks up his template, the rock is gone! Later he notices and tries to put it back, but...can you actually accidentally pick up an asteroid that's under your template? Suspicious.

X Wing Nut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 4:06 PM, Parakitor said:

Now that I've made time to sit and watch these, I am really digging that CR90. It is putting in some major work! However, my jaw dropped when I watched 4:07:15, when Ian moves his CR90 and makes an asteroid disappear. He places his template down over the rock, and when he picks up his template, the rock is gone! Later he notices and tries to put it back, but...can you actually accidentally pick up an asteroid that's under your template? Suspicious.

Mars would say yes but I didn't see it at the time ill have to have a look back and see if it would have made a difference or not. I dont think it would have as epic templates can overlap rocks its all about the final position of the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry guys but Zuckuss only makes 1 attack per turn be "decent enough" - just dont throw your usual Fenn or whatever at it - you know youll get hurt for it, (or go for range 1 where the C-Roc's HTL Cannot attack)

 

The issue with epic right now is that too many mechanics have been introduced since the last epic update and it makes many things either wonky, uncertain or too strong (Conner Net on Huge Ship  = GG huge ship, you're screwed).

Over here its our 3rd season of epic league

Season 1 was won with low PS swarm, no huge ship

Season 2 was won with my double Upsilon + High PS swarm (yea deploying at range 4-5 with Dormitz is REALLY awesome) - I won so many games against Huge Ships and against non-huge ship lists. Only one guy defeated my list because I played poorly...

New rule introduced: everyone must play a Huge - since both first season were won without any in the winner's games

Season 3 started just this week and we've already seen one **** of a crazy spam list: 7 Cruise missile Z, 5 Tracers Kihraxz Vaksai to guarantee the Z95 have the TL after doing a 4 straight... and a few other ships: Sunny Delight, Unkar Plutt and a C-Roc

 

This level of spam will be daunting for anyone to go up against and I'm not sure how I'll have to build my list around this new possibility. Its just ridiculous. 
More limits need to be added, certain pilot abilities need to be adjusted for Epic and missile spam - not only from small ship spam - but from Huge Ships, are also boring.

We had one with the CR90 Corvette go pretty much horizontal to his board edge after the first turn and behind that, going the same way, super slowly: Roark HWK, Jan Ors HWK and Esege KWing all supporting the CR90 from a very very safe distance, all equipped with TLTs if anything got close.

Which is another issue in Epic right now: Small and Large ships should not be able to affect Huge Ships with PS12 from roark, focus from Esege, Howlrunner/Jonus Rerolls, Swarm Tactics/Decoy PS shenanigans, etc. - I've defeated all of those with my Dormitz setup (which now needs to have at minimum a Gozanti to be legal in season 3, not that ill play it anyway since I've already won a league with it) but it made for some very very unfair games. At the very least, PS of Huge Ships should not be alterable - support effects like Targeting synchronizer, Dutch or Shara, etc ok, but the PS stuff makes it sometimes impossible to do anything against a huge because you get decimated before you can shoot every single turn.


All of Epic needs a major update.

Edited by Kalandros
X Wing Nut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also just noticed that first match - the asteroid placement did not follow Epic rules, you guys need to go read up on 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now