Darth evil

Just finished Hoth , what a disaster

so our group just finished Hoth and this was our 3rd campaign, we are going in chronological order and staying with the OT timeline so no and we can only use things that came out with each expansion. Well we found it dreddfully boring. We where using Verena,Jyn,MHD-19 and Loku. our Loku player needed to drop so we rotated who would use him every mission, our MHD-19 player found he was doing nothing but heal us all the time, and Jyn and Verena where constantly killing off imperial characters with interrupts, in fact our imp player gave up the finale because he had had enough, we had cleared the star destroyer bridge with 3activations, this combined with Quick Draw and Close Quarters resulted in the imp player firing 1 Stormtrooper and the Probe which was then healed by MHD. We also found Hoth to be inferior to the original campaign in the core. now i don't know what to do that could motivate us to start the next campaign because it really sucked.

2 hours ago, Darth evil said:

so our group just finished Hoth and this was our 3rd campaign, we are going in chronological order and staying with the OT timeline so no and we can only use things that came out with each expansion. Well we found it dreddfully boring. We where using Verena,Jyn,MHD-19 and Loku. our Loku player needed to drop so we rotated who would use him every mission, our MHD-19 player found he was doing nothing but heal us all the time, and Jyn and Verena where constantly killing off imperial characters with interrupts, in fact our imp player gave up the finale because he had had enough, we had cleared the star destroyer bridge with 3activations, this combined with Quick Draw and Close Quarters resulted in the imp player firing 1 Stormtrooper and the Probe which was then healed by MHD. We also found Hoth to be inferior to the original campaign in the core. now i don't know what to do that could motivate us to start the next campaign because it really sucked.

I recall people saying Hoth is the most Rebel-favored campaign due to lack of round timer, so Rebels can just keep on resting, and (don't remember who first made this name) Most Hated Droid just compounds this problem

I still think Core campaign is probably the most fun one. Jabba's Realm is known to have extremely thematic but swingy missions: check this thread on BGG

I have only played it once, but I think Return to Hoth is the most rebel-favored campaign. (Even when played face-to-face and not as strategically as our Play By Forum campaigns.)

Having MHD-19 suits it also very well from the rebel point of view. In a lot of the missions I have played the imperial figures are too far away to attack and retreat, so the rebels can use MHD-19 to start the round and stall, perhaps giving another hero Focused through Adrenal Stim, and then the rebels just take out imperial groups before the rest can activate... If the rebels win the first mission, they get an ally, which almost guarantees them activation advantage for the rest of the campaign, and that's murder for the imperial player. And either there is no time limit, or the time limit is on the imperials. What can the imperials accomplish when the rebels can wait until the imperials come closer to attack and then each round the rebels halve the number of groups that can activate...

I obviously need to play RtH a second time with some other class deck than Precision Training - it just didn't work for me at all.

I'm sorry to hear you game was boring, @Darth evil. Hopefully you guys will have more fun with the next one.

My group will be starting Return to Hoth around Christmas time and we desperately want it to be a fun experience. What would people who have played it before recommend I (the Imp) do with this? I have Core, Twin Shadows, and Jabba's Realm (great campaign by the way!), and will get Return to Hoth in a couple of month's time; I also have all corresponding ally blister packs (+all expansion agnostic ones, I think); so, which Agenda Cards & Class Deck would be recommended? Any strategies that should be avoided? Which Villains to be included? etc.. etc..

(We're already house rouling our campaigns a bit so I'm not afraid of going a little off script to ensure that this is a fun gaming experience).

3 hours ago, Darth evil said:

those Banes where so annoying, we played not a single side mission all campaign

There is a maximum of 3 threat missions and there are 4 side missions so that isn't possible.

I didn't mind the threat missions the first time I played, but got annoying during later campaigns, since you basically have to do at least 2.

Overall, I liked the Hoth campaign. Yes, rebel favored, but is that worse than Imperial favored? or a campaign full of one sided missions?

I think it is a very different campaign compared to the others, but I do not think it is inferior.

As for MHD, He makes it harder for the imperial player to win via wounding but in general, makes it easier to lose via turn timer. Having him as your support vs others also reduces your dps by a fair amount. But the Hoth campaign definitely plays to its strengths rather than his weaknesses. Tho personally, when I play MHD, I don't actually heal all that much, focusing more on strain mitigation.

1 hour ago, Deadwolf said:

There is a maximum of 3 threat missions and there are 4 side missions so that isn't possible.

I didn't mind the threat missions the first time I played, but got annoying during later campaigns, since you basically have to do at least 2.

Overall, I liked the Hoth campaign. Yes, rebel favored, but is that worse than Imperial favored? or a campaign full of one sided missions?

I think it is a very different campaign compared to the others, but I do not think it is inferior.

As for MHD, He makes it harder for the imperial player to win via wounding but in general, makes it easier to lose via turn timer. Having him as your support vs others also reduces your dps by a fair amount. But the Hoth campaign definitely plays to its strengths rather than his weaknesses. Tho personally, when I play MHD, I don't actually heal all that much, focusing more on strain mitigation.

That's not impossible, if they only picked standard side missions.

And likewise, you don't have to do two each time, you can ignore the threat missions, or only do the ones that are really annoying.

12 minutes ago, neosmagus said:

That's not impossible, if they only picked standard side missions.

And likewise, you don't have to do two each time, you can ignore the threat missions, or only do the ones that are really annoying.

He said he didn't do a single [standard] side mission. That isn't possible if played right.

And yes, you can ignore the threat missions, but I don't think it is to your benefit. Between the boon/bane related bonuses/penalties in the story missions and the fact that a couple of them have quite good rewards, imo 2 threat missions is average.  If the story mission bonuses/penalties weren't there, then you could justify skipping the threat missions, as it is, you would hurt yourself too bad by completely ignoring them.

Edited by Deadwolf

1 hour ago, Deadwolf said:

He said he didn't do a single [standard] side mission. That isn't possible if played right.

And yes, you can ignore the threat missions, but I don't think it is to your benefit. Between the boon/bane related bonuses/penalties in the story missions and the fact that a couple of them have quite good rewards, imo 2 threat missions is average.  If the story mission bonuses/penalties weren't there, then you could justify skipping the threat missions, as it is, you would hurt yourself too bad by completely ignoring them.

OK, misread it, heh.

I don't think the rewards are quite as important as some side missions. Personally I would only do threat missions if the side mission selection wasn't ideal.  But sometimes it would be more useful to try and go for some of the hero side missions, which considering the size of the side mission deck in Hoth, is easily doable.

It would depend on whether the echo troopers were gained or not (deciding if one should go for an ally mission), and do the heroes have decent rewards.

Edited by neosmagus

We are over halfway through the Hoth campaign now, and it has been enjoyable. Its been tough on me as the IP - but I have also made my share of mistakes as well. I think it is a bit easier for the Rebels than Core - but not overwhelmingly so. Honestly, I think my team is just playing a bit better and making better decisions overall, since this is our third campaign play. They no longer open doors at the end of activations, being cautious of event triggers. Or attack groups that have already activated, doing things a bit more synergistically as a team vs before. I will say there seem to be fewer missions with set time limit - which does favor the rebels. I think it is 4-3 Rebels thus far in our campaign, with two missions that could have gone either way.

As far as the threat missions - my group was torn, they wanted to have the chance to remove one of the boons (there were 3 as they ignored them all to this point) - but hated to take up a Side mission slot. We are at the point where it is back to back sides before the penultimate story mission.  So we voted and are playing it as a "forced" mission (Escape from Cloud City). Then they can still choose two side missions after. I know that helps them, but I want everyone to have fun. Plus, I am glad we get a chance to play a new mission that we haven't seen before.  I really wanted to play the wampa cave mission with the cool tile setup, but my 9 y/o daughter was scared of the wampas and didn't want to do it :D

Ouch, you cleared the SD in only three activations?  That is really rough.

I also just played the finale recently, and a big part of why I ended up winning as the Empire (literally came down to the last roll of the dice) was because of the hidden information factor.  My Rebels were overly cautious, and thought that they might get some benefit from holding onto the healing tokens instead of using them liberally to prevent issues later on (can't blame them from the conditioning they got with the Banes and Boons earlier in the campaign).

If they'd been just a little more aggressive and had used their tokens just a little more, no doubt I would've lost.  But I seriously doubt they could've cleared that first section on the first turn.

That being said, I'd generally not suggest limiting yourself to components from a single campaign unless that campaign is the core one and it's all you have.  Things get kinda funky if the Rebels are forced to take MHD, Onar, etc.  Plus- at least in my opinion, it's more fun to mix and match.

15 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

There is a maximum of 3 threat missions

I don't think I'm following correctly... The way I read the rules it says to pick 2 of the cards from the threat mission deck. Then it says that if you resolve a regular side mission (not agenda or threat), then you shuffle the side mission deck and draw one card.

So we've been playing it that the Imperial gets the 2 banes and if one of those missions is chosen, then that bane goes away after the mission is resolved, regardless of the mission outcome. Once those 2 banes are gone, no more hit the table. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, thestag said:

I don't think I'm following correctly... The way I read the rules it says to pick 2 of the cards from the threat mission deck. Then it says that if you resolve a regular side mission (not agenda or threat), then you shuffle the side mission deck and draw one card.

So we've been playing it that the Imperial gets the 2 banes and if one of those missions is chosen, then that bane goes away after the mission is resolved, regardless of the mission outcome. Once those 2 banes are gone, no more hit the table. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

There is a mission (I believe it's Return to Echo Base) that puts one additional Threat Mission into place after played.  On our last playthrough, we had 3 out for a short time.  The Rebels quickly learned how important it was to get those out of the way.

Just now, subtrendy2 said:

Hide contents

There is a mission (I believe it's Return to Echo Base) that puts one additional Threat Mission into place after played.  On our last playthrough, we had 3 out for a short time.  The Rebels quickly learned how important it was to get those out of the way.

Oh, we just finished White Noise (I'm a rebel), so I'll pretend that's a surprise if it happens. Thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, thestag said:

Once those 2 banes are gone, no more hit the table. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

More exactly: when the Threat Mission is resolved, the mission card is discarded at the end, and thus the bane is also discarded (because the mission is no longer in play). You do not draw a replacement for a threat mission.

It doesn't mean that new threat missions could not enter play by other methods. (See the posts above.)

Edited by a1bert