Ralgon

Potential for activation abuse/cheating

So after musing over the thread discussing command cards and how activation's work, a "that guy" moment hit me.

So for the uninformed yet unit's that aren't activated by command orders have their command tokens randomized and drawn 1 at a time if the owner chooses not to use or doesn't have commands on the battlefield.

Feel cool and different (for me anyway) but once things get competitive how do we deal or find a system to prevent with the guy who uses an "accidentally on purpose" method to randomize/draw the token he/she needs in order?

Edited by Ralgon

4 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

You mean like marking cards etc?

depending on commands played there may be as little as 3-5 tokens left, it's not impossible to track.

To be clear i don't expect this to be an issue in friendly games, but there's a high likelyhood if it catches on of real money,events and limited run cards/swag to consider.

No different than command dials in armada.  You can change them real quick if you really want to be that guy.  I feel your opponent should have to shuffle them then put them in a stack.. or everyone should have to use a bag.  This should be a clear cut rule fro FFG.  Bags would be cool,  more stuff to market and have for tourney kits.  Bolt action uses a bag i think.

41 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

There should be a command token PEZ type dispenser. 

I like this in order to tide up and keep them from falling over. but this does nothing against the issue at hand. I think a way to do this is to exchange tokens with the oponent (face down all the time) and suffle until you are sattisfied he does not know the order anymore... then put them in the PEZ-type-dispenser and give it back to your oponent ;)

Edited by Andreu
grammar

9 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I would have thought bag would be the easiest way to cheat. Just scuff the tokens in a way that makes them different to the touch, pull out the one you want.

Yeah that could be a problem. Its probably best to just have your opponent shuffle their command tokens then do a quick shuffle for them as well.

Edited by Makelumpycanon
Misspelling

Is it necroing if the thread is less than 3 months or being polite and not starting new threads for things that have already been discussed?

I just started looking into legion in the last week and am very interested in trying it, but this is the part that concerns me most. Like the OP I think it is a cool mechanic but I can also see myself abusing this. I consider myself an honest guy. I would never change a command dial or purposely bump a miniature into a more ideal position, but I don't know how your supposed to shuffle 2 of anything and not be aware of which one is which especially when you have vested interest in the shuffling. 

I thought about letting my opponent put them out in a row in front of me then picking them at random when it is my turn to activate, but with the chits being made of cardboard it will probably become apparently over time which one is which. I'll probably just use a bag and draw quickly. Do you think there will be adequate room for good randomization in an X-wing dice bag? 

10 hours ago, NukeMaster said:

...with the chits being made of cardboard it will probably become apparently over time which one is which. I'll probably just use a bag and draw quickly. Do you think there will be adequate room for good randomization in an X-wing dice bag? 

Seeing how the other cardboard pieces get worn, I am going to assume that these will wear the same and having them visible on a table will make it apparent which is which. My feedback against the bag is that a player could still feel which token is which based on the wear, so they could still know which they are choosing.

There really would not be a good way to randomize without something that is digital, which you could input the tokens that have not been assigned as commands at the start of the round then have the app or whatever pull one at random from the pool. One table could use the same app and have both of their token pools in it.

A die could also be rolled for a random token, if it comes up with a side that there is no token for, then re-roll; but that could be tedious if you only have 2 possible tokens and could roll multiple times until you get one you need.

The potential is there for most random activation games but having played Bolt Action, likely the biggest random activation game out there, for years, I have never seen it happen. If you are playing someone who has to cheat at a fun game like this then why bother playing them. They aren't worth the time or frustration and kindly inform them if they are such a WAAC and dishonest player, they should go play a real tournament game like Magic or Warmachine.

54 minutes ago, Col. Dash said:

The potential is there for most random activation games but having played Bolt Action, likely the biggest random activation game out there, for years, I have never seen it happen. If you are playing someone who has to cheat at a fun game like this then why bother playing them. They aren't worth the time or frustration and kindly inform them if they are such a WAAC and dishonest player, they should go play a real tournament game like Magic or Warmachine.

I don't expect it to happen in friendly's with anyone worth playing against, but given this is ffg there IS going to be a tournament track for this.