syrilian

Tournament rule for verbal ques

I was in a tournament awhile back in which I stated I was going to do perform a primary attack but then changed my mind and stated that I was going to perform a secondary attack. This was before I had rolled any dice. My opponent stated he was going to hold me to what I said originally and so I performed the primary attack, thinking it was in the tournament rules. Yet I cant find the specific rule. Is it actually a rule?

2 hours ago, Innese said:

Substep II of 'Declaring Target' reads as 'Attacker chooses weapon' while Substep III reads as 'Declare target of the attack'.

If you had already declared a target, you've locked in your choice of weapon.

While this might be true I have never seen anyone actually force it.

To the op, sounds like your opponent was a bit of a ****.

Strictly speaking by the absolute letter of the rules, yes verbal declarations are binding.

However, as long as no change in game state has occured or information been gained (move a ship, reveal a hidden dial, place a template down for a barrel roll, etc) then I've never seen anyone actually hold someone to something spoken before being taken back immediately. The same thing applies, again TECHNICALLY, to actions. If you were to say "I'll focus, oh no wait I need to evade" then strictly speaking you have to keep the focus if your opponent objects.

I believe your opponent was technically within their rights to do so but it's a fairly petty move.  If anyone were ever pull that on me I wouldn't argue but they better be prepared for me to be an absolute d*** about every fiddly rule for the rest of rhe game.  I'd much rather everyone just be reasonable though.

On 2017-09-28 at 3:50 AM, Icelom said:

While this might be true I have never seen anyone actually force it.

To the op, sounds like your opponent was a bit of a ****.

Yeah even in tournaments i would not do that.

1 hour ago, Slugrage said:

If the game state hasn't changed at all, I see no reason to have any issue with it. But then again, running into richard-heads like what your opponent sounds like is also why I stopped playing in tournaments.

#CasualPlayIsTheOnlyPlay

This has nothing to do with tournaments, and everything to do with individual players. Casual play is not immune to jerks.

On 9/30/2017 at 1:11 AM, Icelom said:

This has nothing to do with tournaments, and everything to do with individual players. Casual play is not immune to jerks.

True, but then flying casual you're not required to play them, either.

On 9/29/2017 at 11:11 AM, Icelom said:

Sure it is. You play them once and realize that they're a richard-head, and then you never ever need to play them again. Instant immunity!

4 minutes ago, General_Chaos said:

Can someone direct me to where to find these tournament rules?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e7/c4/e7c4f7e7-d439-4b7d-8732-b68316468167/x-wing_tournament_regulations_v22.pdf

But it isn't a tournament rule, it is a game rule.  By technical rule, if you declare an attack, you must follow through with it as as soon as you announce your weapon, you have begun the attack sequence.  But only a serious *** hat would ever enforce that on an opponent if no dice were thrown and nothing in the game state had changed.

**** move, some people need to process the information out loud. If someones going to smugly force a newby at a tournament to make a sub optimal shot then they need to step away from the scene. 

Simple work around, When you re facing that same person again then start every attack with 'If I attack....' 

Some "stuff" in the game, once started, are legally binding.  Acquiring a target lock (because you gain information) and performing a barrel roll (again, information gained) are two examples that are emphasized in the FAQ­.  If you start them and can legally do them, you have to do them.

I find that going as far as to hold a player responsible for his out-loud thinking of a substep to be a bit too much, however since the game state has not changed and no information was gained.  I would not berate my opponent if he held me to that, but I would become just as much of a stickler for rules and proper procedures afterwards.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Icelom said:

It has everything to do with tournaments vs casual.  In a tournament, we can call a judge over and see if it's binding or not (which it very well may be), and we have to do whatever the judge says to continue in the tournament.  If it's casual, then if I want to change my mind (assuming no information has been gained), then I will do so, and if you don't like it you can go play someone else.  I'm sorry, I usually try to be accommodating of other players and stick to the rules as close as possible if they insist, but honestly, if someone were to merely think out loud ("Hm...maybe I'll take an evade?") you're going to hold him to that?  There's following the rules and then there's just being a jerk.

(Note, this is the generic "you", not any poster on this topic in particular.)

7 hours ago, General_Chaos said:

Ok, I see those but, there seems to be a bunch of tournament rules about pre-measuring and other rules that I just cant find.

You'll find the pre-measuring rules in the Rule Clarification section of the FAQ on page 6:

Measuring Range
Players may only measure range and/or use the range ruler to determine whether a ship is inside or outside of a firing arc at the following times:

• When a ship becomes the active ship during the combat phase, the active player can measure range from the active ship to any enemy ships before declaring one as its target.
  • When a player declares a ship’s ability that requires another ship (or ships) to be at a certain range, the player trying to resolve the ability can measure range from their ship to any valid ships before resolving the ability.
  • After declaring the intended target of a target lock action, the active player may measure range to the intended target, and only to the intended target.

These are the ONLY times you are allowed to measure with the range ruler. The rules for declaring before performing Barrel Rolls and Boosts are on the same page in the column opposite. What other rules were you looking for?