Sign in to follow this  
sapender

Purchased Two 2 Player Starter Sets, What now?

As the title says I'm wondering where to go from here.

Important things to note:

- I'm not after every card from every set.

- I prefer heroes, but still want some villain decks

- I enjoy strong casual game play (does this make sense?)

- There is a regular gaming group in my neighborhood, I haven't gone yet. Should i play with them every week (or when I can) to get boosters and trade up?

Any suggestions on how to maximize purchasing for someone who is on a budget?

Thanks

3 hours ago, sapender said:

- There is a regular gaming group in my neighborhood, I haven't gone yet. Should i play with them every week (or when I can) to get boosters and trade up?

I go to a FLGS each week I can, I quite enjoy doing that and would recommend it as I have had a positive experience doing that.

If you do go to trade I would suggest you visit the stores facebook page and ask if you can post a list of have/wants. I certainly don't take any spares to my games night, but if I know upfront I could pack a few.

No substitute for playing the game, so yes, go play the game and roll the dice. The new 2 player starter x2 is good enough to go and play. The next best thing is watch some youtube channels where they play the game. This does two things, teaches you the cards and teaches you how to play those cards. You don't want to just go buy singles without knowing what to buy.

There is a really good (or at least very active) online Canadian store that sells on Ebay who's name escapes me. I am sure you'll find them in a hurry searching for Destiny cards on ebay.ca

I cant recommend going to your FLGS enough! If the community there is as good as the one I go to then not only will there be a variety of players to go up against and teach you some of the many nuances that are part of this great game, but there will also be players with a lot of swaps which, to help get new players into the game, they may be willing to give away or at the very least sell to you for a very reasonable price.

Go to the local store to play with the local players. Explain your situation, soon you'll have full common sets from all 3 expansions. (I give these to new players at every event in my local scene)

Don't be afraid to buy a box or two. There's often great trade value in opening a high dollar legendary.

I would recomend buying a box or some packs first thing. You shouldn't buy singles until you are sure you won't but more packs. There is nothing worse than shelling out money to buy a rare/legendary then pulling it later in a pack. 

Edited by KotasMilitia

Some of us have a lot of extras and are looking for just a few special cards that we are missing. If someone just starting out pulls one of those cards we need then most of us will trade big to get them. Our collection grows and new players get a big boost. Showing up at the local store on game night is key. Don't be afraid to call and ask.

15 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

Some of us have a lot of extras and are looking for just a few special cards that we are missing. If someone just starting out pulls one of those cards we need then most of us will trade big to get them. Our collection grows and new players get a big boost. Showing up at the local store on game night is key. Don't be afraid to call and ask.

+1

A new player showed up about a month ago and pulled a One With The Force. He only played villains and only had the Kylo starter. I traded him every single card he needed to have a copy of the eKylo/eVader deck that I had won a tournament with just for that one card! 

Welcome to Star Wars Destiny! Go play with the locals for sure! I know I'm always happy to see new faces. Next step is to try and figure out what deck you would like to play and buy the singles for that deck. ebay is a decent place to pick up complete sets of common cards for cheap and they will help your deckbuilding quite a lot. Good luck and have fun!