Sign in to follow this  
Daigotsu Steve

Eclectic Games Reading - Launch Event

Hiya!

So I'm just doing my part for my awesome FLGS in Reading, which is a bit of a hub for the whole South of England. On the 8th October, we're putting on an event with support for 36 players, so there are plenty of delicious promos to go around!

You can find the event on the page below and if you're someone who already has some cores(or got one on the Saturday) then you can enter without having to buy one, but they have loads for sale.

http://www.eclecticgames.co.uk/events.irs

See you there!

Shout out to Eclectic Games! There an awesome FLGS run by 2 hardworking gamers, I'm not local so don't want to take spaces away from others who will be regularly contribute to the scene but will see if me and my mates can pop down on the day to support!

8 hours ago, Dahawi said:

Shout out to Eclectic Games! There an awesome FLGS run by 2 hardworking gamers, I'm not local so don't want to take spaces away from others who will be regularly contribute to the scene but will see if me and my mates can pop down on the day to support!

There's plenty of room for everyone man, the more the merrier! If you guys are coming down anyway you should definitely level the event up. Especially if you're local enough to consider supporting the event, and you're on these boards! I'm not feeling bad about my plans to come away from Aldershot with at least one Shoju ;p

On 27/09/2017 at 0:17 PM, Ignithas said:

I think it is funny how some game shops want to make profit from the launch kits.

I think it's funny that anyone should think this anything less than appropriate. FFG exists to make money. Game shops exist to make money. When both parties make money we get a game to play.

Seems fair to me.

11 hours ago, InquisitorM said:

I think it's funny that anyone should think this anything less than appropriate. FFG exists to make money. Game shops exist to make money. When both parties make money we get a game to play.

Seems fair to me.

I think it isn't apropriate, because getting a promo is essentially gambling. I don't have anything against FFG and game shops making money, but charging people 8 pounds for accessing (3 if you buy a core set) seems excessive, if the whole launch kit for the three launch events cost aproximatly € 70,00. In our country you get free entry for the first event, if you buy a core set. This easily covers the cost of the kit and the promotion will lead to more core sets, packs and suppy being bought there.

So FFG makes money, the store makes money and you get a free event. This is how it is supposed to be and a lot of stores around the world do the same.

Seems fairer to me.

Edited by Ignithas

3 hours ago, InquisitorM said:

'Fairer' is an illusion. As long you have the choice to pay or not, it is fair.

This is not true at all. Our laws even have rules to negate transactions that are too unfair.

There is an event that is meant to be free to promote the game and the game shop it is played in. Your game store not only charges for the cost of the kit, they also try to make a profit out of it. Now that I think of it, it isn't even fair.

12 hours ago, Ignithas said:

I think it isn't apropriate, because getting a promo is essentially gambling. I don't have anything against FFG and game shops making money, but charging people 8 pounds for accessing (3 if you buy a core set) seems excessive, if the whole launch kit for the three launch events cost aproximatly € 70,00. In our country you get free entry for the first event, if you buy a core set. This easily covers the cost of the kit and the promotion will lead to more core sets, packs and suppy being bought there.

So FFG makes money, the store makes money and you get a free event. This is how it is supposed to be and a lot of stores around the world do the same.

Seems fairer to me.

What's your country? Eclectic is a massive gaming space in the heart of the biggest town in the UK. I imagine their rent rates would stagger most business owners out there. I don't begrudge them seeking to make some money on the day. In fact, I spend a bit more to buy my cores there because I know the owners personally and they sacrifice a lot so the gamers of Reading, and the whole south, have a premier gaming venue.

FWIW the stores in my area all charge around $5 for this event. And these are stores that don't normally charge to use gaming space, or care too much about outside food and drinks. I know stores that charge up to $10 to play at one of their tables, and others that don't allow outside food or drink so you have to buy what they have in stock themselves. One thing in common I've noticed with any of these stores, the owners aren't exactly rolling in cash. They simply do what they can to keep their doors open, because they're gamers too.

16 hours ago, Hinomura said:

Could you link to anything official stating the event is meant to be free, please?

The only written official statement is, that the FFG game center has a free launch party. I spoke with a shop owner that said, that they got the information from the distributor, that the launch event should be free for people that buy a core set at the store to promote the game.

16 hours ago, Daigotsu Steve said:

What's your country? Eclectic is a massive gaming space in the heart of the biggest town in the UK. I imagine their rent rates would stagger most business owners out there. I don't begrudge them seeking to make some money on the day. In fact, I spend a bit more to buy my cores there because I know the owners personally and they sacrifice a lot so the gamers of Reading, and the whole south, have a premier gaming venue.

My country is Austria. Like I said, I don't have anything against the shops making money on the day. It is no problem that they charge more for their core sets and supply, sell drinks and food and/or charge a small amount of money for playing there to provide people with a place they can play at and frequent tournaments. I simply don't think that overcharging for tournaments is the way to go, especially if 5 out of 12 people don't get anything valuable in return.

12 hours ago, InquisitorM said:

I hold great affection for Eclectic Games. I'm looking forward to getting up there for some tournaments.

Good folk. Good venue. Have many good times there. So yes, I'm taking this accusation kinda personally.

Stores make money. If you take issue with that, you might be in the wrong hobby.

Nice strawman buddy.

37 minutes ago, Ignithas said:
14 hours ago, InquisitorM said:

Stores make money. If you take issue with that, you might be in the wrong hobby.

Nice strawman buddy.

On 27/09/2017 at 0:17 PM, Ignithas said:

I think it is funny how some game shops want to make profit from the launch kits.

*Shrug*

i think its funny how sad cases want to put a downer on stores supporting a game.

if people don't want to pay an entrance fee then they don't have to and can go to all the thousands of stores doing so for free.

those that don't mind will pay and what no one in the hobby needs is some fool who doesn't even live close to the store in question doing his best to bugger it up regardless as to whether people who can go are willing to pay or not.

3 hours ago, InquisitorM said:

*Shrug*

"Like I said, I don't have anything against the shops making money on the day. It is no problem that they charge more for their core sets and supply, sell drinks and food and/or charge a small amount of money for playing there to provide people with a place they can play at and frequent tournaments. I simply don't think that overcharging for tournaments is the way to go, especially if 5 out of 12 people don't get anything valuable in return."

I think that the launch party at Board in the City is organised pretty intelligently. Vauchers are the perfect way to get revenue, but also give the customer something of similar value.

1 hour ago, Matrim said:

i think its funny how sad cases want to put a downer on stores supporting a game.

if people don't want to pay an entrance fee then they don't have to and can go to all the thousands of stores doing so for free.

those that don't mind will pay and what no one in the hobby needs is some fool who doesn't even live close to the store in question doing his best to bugger it up regardless as to whether people who can go are willing to pay or not.

The personaly attack is uncalled for.

It is common practice to criticize business practices that you think could be better. When FFG wanted too much money for some Runewars and Mansions of Madness miniatures, people criticised it and it became cheaper. My intentions are not to destory the event (which isn't in my power regardless), but to maybe get a situation that is better for the customers.

Edited by Ignithas

I think your perception of how Launch Events should be handled is flawed, but I do absolutely believe you're genuinely trying to help.

I think the manner you've chosen however is poor - you could have raised the subject for discussion in it's own thread, rather than posting in a specific store's thread, as that can't fail to be interpreted as an attack on that particular store.

The personaly attack is uncalled for.

I agree the personal attack on the store and its business practices which you dont understand is uncalled for

It is common practice to criticize business practices that you think could be better. When FFG wanted too much money for some Runewars and Mansions of Madness miniatures, people criticised it and it became cheaper. My intentions are not to destory the event (which isn't in my power regardless), but to maybe get a situation that is better for the customers.

Lucky customers having a brave knight like yourself willing to come in and potentially destroy a playing venue in your pursuit of decency and free play for all. Why not attack the policies of stores near yourself then if those stores decide to stop supporting the game then you will be the one directly affected...

Stuff like this really winds me up it reminds me of the old days with AEG when people would mass buy product from potomac and not buy from local stores as they could save a few quid a pack and then moaned that stores were not running the game any more and where were the new players

Edited by Matrim
potomac addition

On 9/30/2017 at 7:25 PM, Hinomura said:

I think your perception of how Launch Events should be handled is flawed.

I'd be thankful if you could elaborate that.

On 9/30/2017 at 7:25 PM, Hinomura said:

I think the manner you've chosen however is poor - you could have raised the subject for discussion in it's own thread, rather than posting in a specific store's thread, as that can't fail to be interpreted as an attack on that particular store.

Maybe there would have been better ways to raise the subject. I have to say that I haven't pondered about it that much. I read the price and felt the urge to comment about it. I honestly haven't thought that this would be seen as an attack and offend people, because at least in groups I normally write, that wouldn't be the case. Different cultures I guess.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:31 AM, Matrim said:

I agree the personal attack on the store and its business practices which you dont understand is uncalled for.

It wasn't meant as an attack, I simply wrote that I find it funny and when people called me out on it I alaborated.

Lucky customers having a brave knight like yourself willing to come in and potentially destroy a playing venue in your pursuit of decency and free play for all. Why not attack the policies of stores near yourself then if those stores decide to stop supporting the game then you will be the one directly affected...

Somehow I feel like beeing in the Twilight Zone. Neither do I have the power, nor the desire to destroy Eclectic Games. I criticised things from stores nearby in the past, some things were changed, some things not. I had some fruitful discussions with store owners and I never endangered a store or the supporting of one game. I think that our stores are very customer friendly.

I don't understand the need for derogatory words and phrases that clearly are only meant to hurt people. I have seen it at the discussion about the role cards, the Shut up and sit down review and now here. This makes discussions between different people almost impossible.

Stuff like this really winds me up it reminds me of the old days with AEG when people would mass buy product from potomac and not buy from local stores as they could save a few quid a pack and then moaned that stores were not running the game any more and where were the new players

I can tell you that I fulfill my gaming needs at local stores and I always give the advice, that supporting the community by buying locally is the way to go.

Edited by Ignithas