KrisSherriff

Battle Report Thread - Lets collate some Battle Reports Here.

13 posts in this topic

I thought a thread for people to post battle reports or links to battler reports could be useful.

Video Battle Reports

DiceHate

RuneCast

RuneCasters

Trinity Squad Gaming

Writen Reports

Edited by KrisSherriff

I knew I had reserved this one for a reason!

As the thread grows I will do a featured report here and also use it for any other info that may be relevant.

Can I ask that if you share a report that you include the relevant info for forces, set up, objective etc just to make it a little easier to collate :D

Cheers
Kris

Edited by KrisSherriff

Thanks for the reports! Excited about these. Me and @Curlycross are putting together some video and content for battle reports and whatnot so we will add them to this when they're done!

Hey Kris,

Do you want us to post battle reports right in this thread if they’re not posted anywhere else?

6 hours ago, kac said:

Hey Kris,

Do you want us to post battle reports right in this thread if they’re not posted anywhere else?

Seems like the easiest way to do it and I will keep updating the first post a couple of times a week

It will also help keep the thread near the top so that it is easy to find if you want to check a battle report for a specific army/deployment or objective.

Kris

Daqan Mirror Match-200 pts.

Objective-Bounty

I know it says mirror, but our armies were different. My opponent, whom I met at the store for the first time (really nice guy), had taken an elven unit, the Deepwood Archers along with Kari. I used Kari, but with no elf friends, and I also had Lord Hawthorne (Jerry).

I was the first player, and picked the Objective “Bounty” which of course lets each of us designate one of our own units. If that unit died, the opponent got 75 VP. I picked my Rune Golems, figuring they're pretty well armored, and if I didn’t act crazy aggressively with them, they stood a good chance of surviving. He picked his elven archers figuring they had no need to get close to any of my guys, and could run away if necessary anyway.

Going along with his theory was the terrain. There were three fairly big pieces of terrain, two of which were essentially separating me from him on my left side of the table, and the other was pretty far right. When we set up, he figured the terrain would keep me from getting into him too much, and so he hid his archers over on his far right.The rest of his troops were pretty spread out, with his cavalry unit being on my far right.

I set up with a completely different viewpoint. I was going to get into and burst through the terrain to get at his relatively week right flank. The terrain would shield me for a bit from ranged fire, until essentially I was right on top of him.

Jerry was my on my extreme right flank, although really he was in the center third of my set-up area, as I was loading up the center and left.

On the first round, Jerry was inspiring his troops, and thus gave inspiration to the spearmen (3x3) right next to him as well as to Kari, who was to the spearmen’s immediate left. But further left was the interesting part. 

I wanted to set my cav up all four stands across, but when I saw the approximately two tile gap between the two large pieces of terrain on the left, I changed my mind. I set them up 2x2 and with the cav’s 4+2 move, I shot the gap between the terrain and ended the first round essentially exactly between them and halfway across the board. My unit of two Rune Golems, next to the right of the cav, lumbered up and got near to a fortified area that could hold two trays-perfect for them when they got there!

My spearmen in the center of the board moved up a bit, with Kari on their immediate left flank, heading essentially for a large block of enemy spearmen. Headed towards the center of the board and my spearmen were a unit of cav of his and behind them, two Rune Golems in a unit. Jerry stepped up to protect the right flank of my spearmen from getting crushed by this wave, and thus got hit at a 45 degree angle by the group of four cavalry trays (fortunately it wasn’t a flank). My only question was how long Jerry could hold out until they crushed him. At their first contact, they did two wounds to him and two panic. Yikes! However, that’s when they learned about my nice combo, Might of Daqan and Shield of Margath, which together put five hits on the cav (causing two losses on their turn! I couldn’t send any help to him, the spearmen on his flank were about to be tied up with a huge enemy unit themselves. He was on his own.

On my far left, having cleared the terrain, my cavalry made a huge, high-speed right sweeping charge. Unfortunately, by the time they got there, the Elvish archers had shown their elusiveness by shifting a good amount back towards the center of the table. I took my panic, saw that another fast turn would put me off the table, so we regrouped, rotated to the right to aim directly at the archers, and got ready for another charge. Unfortunately while carrying out this parade ground maneuver, the archers shot and knocked several men from their mounts.

Although the slippery elves were wily with their backpedaling to the middle of the table, there was a downside. My spearmen had frontally engaged his spearmen, pinning them in place (and doing good work on them with the extra die assistance of the Citadel Weapons Master). Kari then did a little mini-charge while curving to her right, which brought her onto the flank of the enemy spearmen. While doing some reasonable damage in close combat with them, she sent her famous throwing daggers off into the elvish archers, which had quite kindly backed into her range. She cut down six figures from the archers on the first round! That's a good way to start getting hits on my target unit.

My Rune Golems saw that no one was going to attack them in their fortified position, and wanted to get into the action themselves. They came out of the fortification, and aimed directly towards the archers (which you’ll recall was the bounty unit for the enemy, as the golems were for my army. So it was a bit of a race to see if the cav could get into the archers first or the golems, but the golems beat them to it, tearing into the archers, who really aren’t made to fight it out in hand to hand combat, and with Kari having weakened them previously, they were no match for the two big monsters working together.

Back on my right flank, the question was whether Jerry could hold out long enough to keep from having that flank turned. Short version: yeah, he could. Longer version: He was just a wrecking crew doing a good amount of hits in his own turn, and using his upgrade combo to really beat the cav unit up in their own turn too. Remember the two wounds he took at first contact? He never took another.

My spearmen and Kari had combined to finish off his spear block, and my guys thus had time to face to the right and not get taken in the flank by the enemy golems.

We called the game with him having completely lost his spearmen, his cavalry, and the archers. I had lost one tray of cav out of four, two trays of spearmen, and that's about it. That, combined with the bounty, made for a nice resolution.

My opponent was far from a bad player, but it was one of those momentum situations  where things started rolling against him, and it just never turned around.

Looking forward to my next game.

Edited by kac
Added info
Click5 likes this

Ok! Trying something new here, bear with me. I've taken some liberties with these images, so don't be surprised if some movements seem a bit shady! Daqan vs. Waiqar, Break Their Defenses on Battle Lines. Terrain ended up too small to enter so I've forgotten it! We deployed like so:

59cd734102a37_2017sep23DaqanvWaiqarsetup.thumb.JPG.c0b56e79f58c37b53381f1b8802d5f35.JPG

First turn! Cav move far forward, 2x1 Lancers bump into them. Spearmen make a bad turn, bumping the terrain. Rune Golem gets into position to charge Reanimates next turn, while Hawthorne inspires his troops. One solo Lancer bumps the Reanimates (I kind of lose track of this Lancer, it doesn't get to do much until later) while the other starts its way around the flank. The archers shift into a better position.

59cd7354977fd_2017sep23DaqanvWaiqarturn1.thumb.JPG.09b08b53ed8cd7728f0e947bfc7807a1.JPG

Zero Unstable Runes! The golem stands dumb while the Reanimate horde crushes it to dust. We exchange some missile fire, the Oathsworn inflict 5 wounds on the 2x1 Lancers with the help of the Dispatch Runner. 

59cd73574542e_2017sep23DaqanvWaiqarturn2.thumb.JPG.c8b2e0d467bbf3700615b2beca085860.JPG

The Reanimates collide with the Crossbowmen, killing 7. Hawthorne, too late, prepares to engage them. The Spearmen use Dispatch Runner to let the Cav kill the last worm before their activation, and they then proceed to advance and wind rune towards the archers!

59cd739f07dba_2017sep23DaqanvWaiqarturn3.thumb.JPG.b0b6511faf28930895fbdc9d5e1cc9a3.JPG

And apparently that's the upload limit! Find the rest here: https://imgur.com/a/lFiuE

Turn 4 Hawthorne charges the Reanimates on the flank, adding a blue die which comes up Accuracy! He kills the Saboteur, and suddenly the matchup is looking better. When the Reanimates finish off the Crossbowmen they get to reform - Triumphant Cry did serious work for this unit this game. I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what happened with the Oathsworn for the next few turns, but they chased the archers, dealing some damage.

Turn 5 was the beginning of the grind between Hawthorne and the Reanimates. They did one wound per turn and suffered huge losses in return. This turn I believe the Oathsworn attacked early and the Archers disengaged and Wind Runed away, leaving the cav 4 distance away with a Stun token from the Dispatch Runner.

Turn 6, the cav don't have much option but to rally, which means they probably had some blight or something. The Spearmen fight one of the Carrion Lancers with pretty good results, and the other with not so good. Reanimates continue to die in droves.

Turn 7 the cav manage to engage the Archers without charging, while the Spearmen disengage towards the enemy's deployment zone in a desperate bid to score an objective token. Hawthorne has only one wound remaining.

Turn 8 sees the last of the Archers destroyed and the Spearmen charged before they had a chance to move (Waiqar had initiative). The Reanimates finally deal the killing blow (4 hits for 16 damage no less) and use Triumphant Cry to reform a corner into my deployment zone! The game ends with 40 points remaining on the Waiqar side to 50 on Daqan, and with one objective token each it's a very slim victory for the humans.

Observations:

• one Rune Golem is not going to stop a 4x3 of Reanimates, but a couple of Unstable Runes should have at least made it last a turn or two. The lesson is, don't rely on being able to move before initiative 8.
  • Wind Rune was quite powerful on both sides, though there were a LOT of 2-3 Natural Rune turns. Even just getting a reform modifier on Oathsworn is really useful.
  • Dispatch Runner is indeed very good. The stun token ended up putting the Oathsworn in a very bad spot when they had to Rally, but let them chew through those Carrion Lancers much quicker than without.
  • Hawthorne with Might of Daqan and Shield of Margath is nuts. It has counters, including the Saboteur that I fluked off the table, but in its element it is very strong. I've been meaning to try a Sweeping Strikes build, but just haven't gotten to it.
  • Triumphant Cry prevents Deathstars from losing much momentum as they Pacman through small units. Very useful.
  • Forged in Battle is pretty good, even on a unit that got into combat on literally turn 1. Something I've always liked about Rank Discipline is that you keep the reroll down to your very last tray, and this does the same thing - as the Oathsworn suffered casualties, Forged in Battle kept their damage up. I'll be using it more.
Edited by Bhelliom
Click5 and kac like this

1 hour ago, kac said:

*SNIP*

I wanted to set my cav up all four stands across, but when I saw the approximately two tile gap between the two large pieces of terrain on the left, I changed my mind. I set them up 2x2 and with the cav’s 4+2 move, I shot the gap between the terrain and ended the first round essentially exactly between them and halfway across the board. My unit of two Rune Golems, next to the right of the cav, lumbered up and got near to a fortified area that could hold two trays-perfect for them when they got there!

Hey awesome report!  I'm really loving this thread

One point that is kind of interesting, and I think overlooked quite often, but Hawthorne's army wide ability happens before any other part of the setup phase, even army building (however that works), so you'd have to choose your units formations before any of the the deployments or terrain setup.  

Otherwise good stuff, keep em coming

kac likes this

2 hours ago, Click5 said:

Hey awesome report!  I'm really loving this thread

One point that is kind of interesting, and I think overlooked quite often, but Hawthorne's army wide ability happens before any other part of the setup phase, even army building (however that works), so you'd have to choose your units formations before any of the the deployments or terrain setup.  

Otherwise good stuff, keep em coming

I’m very much at the rules learning stage and appreciate the rules tip. Thanks.

Now I’m glad I didn’t use Hawthorne’s special ability—I always feel bad after a win if I did something wrong, even if inadvertent!