Sign in to follow this  
NeverBetTheFett

Luke and Robot Luke

I know it's been beaten to death, but just a further commentary and maybe a fresh discussion from the community? The question is, do you think IG-88 and Luke would be less "overpowered" if their command card was not so powerful? For those that play test, design, etc....is there a way to fix/errata this?

The reason I ask is because after playing with Han and Chewy, I felt that it really brought them in line with those two other monsters of IA. However, the difference was Luke and IG-88's command cards giving them another activation before the round ends is definitely a heart breaker for most opponents. Yes, Han's cards is not far off as he'd start the next round, but it still made me think that Luke and IG-88 are mostly badas$ because of their ability to deal so much damage in such a short time.

I personally think they're powerful, but not OP.  You have to sink a lot of points to field them, and if things go wrong you can lose them in a hurry.  They create swingier games based on whether they get their attacks in and whether they get their card off, but still I like them.  They are both high risk/reward figures (Luke I'd say more than Iggy, since with melee you have to be in the fray), but I like them in the game. 

But yeah, SoS is probably super annoying to play against.  I like Iggy's card because of the inherent cost of 3 damage it feels more like a fair trade.

-ryanjamal

6 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I know it's been beaten to death, but just a further commentary and maybe a fresh discussion from the community? The question is, do you think IG-88 and Luke would be less "overpowered" if their command card was not so powerful? For those that play test, design, etc....is there a way to fix/errata this?

The reason I ask is because after playing with Han and Chewy, I felt that it really brought them in line with those two other monsters of IA. However, the difference was Luke and IG-88's command cards giving them another activation before the round ends is definitely a heart breaker for most opponents. Yes, Han's cards is not far off as he'd start the next round, but it still made me think that Luke and IG-88 are mostly badas$ because of their ability to deal so much damage in such a short time.

The real fun with IG is making your two attacks, then going full Bon Jovi for another activation, realizing that 3 damage at the end of the round is going to kill you anyways, then noticing you have Terminal Protocol in your hand, then on your next activation, having Jabba "Order Hit" with Iggy Pop for one last attack, then moving into some poor sucker and detonating.

Now that's some face melting Raiders of the Lost Ark playing right there.

If someone did that to me, I'd have to hand it to them for being so diabolical.

2 hours ago, cleardave said:

The real fun with IG is making your two attacks, then going full Bon Jovi for another activation, realizing that 3 damage at the end of the round is going to kill you anyways, then noticing you have Terminal Protocol in your hand, then on your next activation, having Jabba "Order Hit" with Iggy Pop for one last attack, then moving into some poor sucker and detonating.

This string of devilry is too amazing to behold. I would have to applaud my opponent before slinking off to join the nameless ranks of the other peons where I'd belong. Kudos, sir!

-ryanjamal 

6 hours ago, cleardave said:

Make sure you used Overdrive at the start of round too for an additional action during Iggy's go

20 hours ago, ryanjamal said:

I personally think they're powerful, but not OP.

I couldn't agree more. Obviously "Meat-bag IG-88" is awesome with SOS and the potential to do some heavy damage, but I think he is balanced out by the BLUE-GREEN-YELLOW attack pool which can whiff heartbreakingly bad. IG-88 is a (non-meat-bag) beast with insane flexibility and if you let him get in close, you are going to pay the RED-RED-GREEN price that makes even Rancors cry. The end of round 3-damage penalty for his command card is a nice balance for an extra activation.

Paying 12 points for a single figure is a high price but we know that if they didn't have that much power/value they wouldn't get played at all so why would we want to fix/errata this?

11 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I believe the "rise of the spies" will tone these down.

with new spies coming out,  I would expect to see comm disruption and negation in several lists

I think that'll hurt Iggy more than Luke. Right now, it's still hard to field 3 spies. I'll definitely run a list with Ahsoka, Jarrod, and a set of eSabs, but I will probably drop one of those after a while. It's even harder for Imperials (well, maybe not with cross training) and Scum. We'll see though. Either way, I'm excited about the influx of spies!

-ryanjamal 

As the guy who started fielding the Luke/Iggy list, I can tell you from experience that the fact that you're spending 25 points on 2 figures really adds up. You have to be very careful on positioning, and you can almost completely discount trying to gain a huge amount of objective points as your actions need to be spent attacking. Your best counter move is to focus one of them off the board as fast as possible, as doing so eliminates a solid 35-40% of the list's effectiveness.

Edited by ThatJakeGuy
Spelling

I would still argue that eISBs are one of the strongest spy deployments in the game... if you can put a beneficial condition on them.  If you think i'm not going to temp in an elite clawdite shifter for the senator form, then we have a problem boy-o.  That gives me an extra spy,  a great support unit, and eISBS have 3 wonderful surge abilities.

On 9/27/2017 at 6:27 AM, leacher said:

I couldn't agree more. Obviously "Meat-bag IG-88" is awesome with SOS and the potential to do some heavy damage, but I think he is balanced out by the BLUE-GREEN-YELLOW attack pool which can whiff heartbreakingly bad. IG-88 is a (non-meat-bag) beast with insane flexibility and if you let him get in close, you are going to pay the RED-RED-GREEN price that makes even Rancors cry. The end of round 3-damage penalty for his command card is a nice balance for an extra activation.

Paying 12 points for a single figure is a high price but we know that if they didn't have that much power/value they wouldn't get played at all so why would we want to fix/errata this?

With the +1 damage it's really more like a red/green/yellow though.

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

With the +1 damage it's really more like a red/green/yellow though.

Except his surge only gives him +1 dmg, whereas most other hard hitting characters surge for +2

Edited by Xepui

On ‎26‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 4:49 PM, NeverBetTheFett said:

The reason I ask is because after playing with Han and Chewy, I felt that it really brought them in line with those two other monsters of IA. However, the difference was Luke and IG-88's command cards giving them another activation before the round ends is definitely a heart breaker for most opponents. Yes, Han's cards is not far off as he'd start the next round,

Han's card is on par with those two, after the fix is out. Han can go last, shoot standing wide open, shoot again at the end of the round, use his card, shoot again and move back to safety. As his card is more expensive than Take Initiative, it will more likely not be blocked by some Spy card or Negation.

And you can do this a second time at the end of that round with Take Initiative: move Han out with Gideon, shoot at the end of the round, Take Initiative, shoot again and move back to safety.

You just won't get Han's third attack, because no one will be able to shoot him. But that's OK in my book, because no one will be able to shoot him!

Edited by DerBaer

I cannot decide about buying IG-88. I like the compact neatness of having "all the fringe models from the core game" that adds up to a perfect skirmish size force at 39 points of models. But I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on picking up his mini for some reason. I am in the same boat with Boba Fett, Kanye Samosa, and the Bantha Rider. Something is just keeping me from picking them up. Maybe I'm presciently saving space in my battlefoam for some really nice future Hoth figures. I've only got space for 3 more infantry models and 2 more big creatures.

Edited by TauntaunScout

22 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I cannot decide about buying IG-88. I like the compact neatness of having "all the fringe models from the core game" that adds up to a perfect skirmish size force at 39 points of models. But I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on picking up his mini for some reason. I am in the same boat with Boba Fett, Kanye Samosa, and the Bantha Rider. Something is just keeping me from picking them up. Maybe I'm presciently saving space in my battlefoam for some really nice future Hoth figures. I've only got space for 3 more infantry models and 2 more big creatures.

"Do it!" 

Yoda, 1980

Maybe what's holding me back is the shoebox full of pre-painted Hasbro minis. If I just want something cooler than the cardboard token for campaign, I can use my Hasbro Fett and IG-88 and a Hasbro Sandtrooper as Cain Sampson. 

I guess I'll see what happens painting-wise with my Scum figures. 

Like the bantha, I am torn about getting a 2nd dewback. There's only so much storage space!

Fine. I bought IG-88. From a FLGS. Are ya happy now, ya sons of Bacchus? 

Turned out I have (had) room for 4 more infantry models in my battlefoam, not 2. Still with room for 2 beasties. So that took the pressure off. Also sealing the deal is the fact that this guy isn't posed with dual blasters like every other IG-88 mini I ever saw.

I think Kayn Somos, 2x Elite Heavy Stormtroopers, a Dewback rider, and Capt' Terro, make an even 40 points. Or real close like 38 points. So I guess, much as everyone says he sucks, I'll get him and a 2nd dewback as well. I love a good themed list, you see.