roguefrog

Wardrobe Mistake in Magnificent Kimono(LOL) and Spies at Court

1 hour ago, roguefrog said:

So what is the secret of the ooze that is me being an big jerk? Quoting my posts reveals nothing unless you point out specific parts.

I'll just guess randomly to try to help out. Was it really the sorry not sorry bit? Simply a casual catch phase. Lighten up a bit you guys. 

Your tone and approach to the topic is what makes you sound like a jerk.  You could have phrased it:

"I noticed that the kimonos are backwards compared to Japanese style, they should be left over right, not right over left in these cards.  The other is used to dress a corpse.  I hope this is a mistake that the art director can pay attention to in the future."

Would have gotten your same point across and possibly even made us sympathetic with your cause.

8 hours ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

- At least they're wearing them, as opposed to letting them hang half off (looking at you, Serene Warrior). 

I have no problem with Kachiko letting her kimono hang half off........well maybe one problem in that it's not all the way off.

Hear me Air Kami I beseech thee.....blow that kimono into the peach tree.

While there’s definitely an issue with representing the kimono this way and it’s information I would hope FFG’s art team would pass on to any artists, that you think you can simply mirror the image and fix it is kind of ridiculous.

Many professional artists mirror their art to see errors in it and correct them – spending time staring at an image for hours can make it very difficult to see some pretty glaring mistakes, and mirroring it puts it in a new light.

The problem with doing that with finished art is that there’s no guarantee an artist flipped their work to look for any weird lighting/shading/whatever inconsistencies. Then there’s the issue of tracking action or eyeline and how that gets damaged or ruined by mirroring it (see: manga up until about 15-20 years ago).

It’s almost like running a paragraph through google translate and back again, expecting it to be the same: it won’t be. Given that Rokugan is not Japan, it would not be hard for them to establish these as issues of station or honor/dishonor (especially given what the particular cards do), or that they simply represent handedness or something else entirely.

Did you know that AEG used “samurai” instead of “bushi” for describing the warriors, even though shugenja and courtiers were also of the samurai caste? The naming convention for oni flipped about a decade into the game’s existence, and then there’s the Utaku family mess. It’ll be okay, really.

All I can say is - how do you know its a mistake?  The Phoenix are known to be a bunch of oni summoning, blood magic using, undead crazy cultists ALL while putting on airs of their devotion to harmony and balance.

This could just be one of their tells...  Why do you think you're dishonored if you're caught?  See, in new5r Corruption takes a different turn.

2 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

From the forums that brought you 6 pages of discussion about katana being curved/straight..........what else would you expect.  Lol

Is the game out yet? Jigoku will allow me to "gold fish"....so that is something!

5 hours ago, shosuko said:

All I can say is - how do you know its a mistake?  The Phoenix are known to be a bunch of oni summoning, blood magic using, undead crazy cultists ALL while putting on airs of their devotion to harmony and balance.

Well you are free to make up excuses for it, but this is not something done intentionally without pointing it out somehow with the art, which both cards fail to do. Also the card names are fairly generic a la Magnificent Kimono, which can be equipped by a character which chances are high will be among the living. Plus all the other cards in the core box that feature kimono in the art are worn correctly. 

1 hour ago, roguefrog said:

Plus all the other cards in the core box that feature kimono in the art are worn correctly. 

*correctly*

*Implying that the there IS a correct way in a culture that has the crane changing fashion every five minutes to keep ahead of the curve*

It doesn't matter which way you wear a kimono in rokugan, all have been fashionable in their time when the crane are around. 

I was amused by roguefrog's initial post and assumed the directive was sarcasm.  Oh well, the internets...

We have nothing to worry about with Spies at Court.  It is obvious that the woman is a mirror reflection of a person standing to the rear left of the fourth wall.

Now, let's get back to this issue with the Shadowlands corrupted cloak.