roguefrog

Wardrobe Mistake in Magnificent Kimono(LOL) and Spies at Court

Living people should not wear a kimono(or yukata) with the cross section RIGHT over LEFT...it should always be LEFT over RIGHT. There are two cards in the core set that violate this.

Dear L5R Art Director,
Don't let this happen again! 

Exhibit A:
L9F0X01.jpg
Exhibit B:
YT8LSjV.png

Edited by roguefrog

While I appreciate your attention to detail, and agree that it can be helpful to point these things out:

- The tone of your post seems rather demanding.

- At least they're wearing them, as opposed to letting them hang half off (looking at you, Serene Warrior). 

- There's always the ol' tried-and-true (if overused) "Rokugan has a lot of strong similarities to Japan, but it isn't Japan."

Sorry(not sorry) about the tone. Just wanted to point it out, to avoid a future incident. Also I would think they would know better to make such a rookie mistake. If they mirrored the artwork, why? It just makes it look wrong.

Also I am doubtful both are undead. They look very much alive. Also consider the hilarious irony that a card called Magnificent Kimono shows wearing the kimono incorrectly. Ponder that for a while.

P.S. If they are truly old artwork, I would have mirrored them to be correct! (incompetent art director! These DETAILS matter!)

P.P.S. Rough photo edit job that took me five seconds. No excuses.
nqA60ZA.jpg

Edited by roguefrog

39 minutes ago, roguefrog said:

Sorry(not sorry) about the tone. 

Oh, this should be good.

40 minutes ago, roguefrog said:

Also I am doubtful both are undead. They look very much alive. 

Pretty sure that was a joke.

40 minutes ago, roguefrog said:

P.S. If they are truly old artwork, I would have mirrored them to be correct! (incompetent art director! These DETAILS matter!)

P.P.S. Rough photo edit job that took me five seconds. No excuses.
nqA60ZA.jpg

Even if your point is valid, and it probably is, being a jerk about it isn't going to do anything to help your cause.  

There are tons of little (and not so little) art mistakes throughout the old game and the new.  Many of them far more blatant than this.  Politely pointing them out, if done in the right channels (which the ffg forum is not), may allow them to improve the product in the future.  Shouting about how everyone owes you, personally, some sort of explanation while proclaiming everyone in charge as incompetent probably won't get you very far.

Politeness matters.  Don't be a jerk.

Also, just because the Magnificent Kimono is being worn improperly doesn't make the kimono itself any less magnificent.

*rotates bowl twice* *sips tea*

How am I being a Jerk about it? Just because I called out the Art Director? I would think it would benefit the group that Japanese old fashion wear is always depicted accurately.

Those who produce L5R as you should know analyze every card, from art, to text, to mechanics in relation to the greater card pool. (design space)...it is unconscionable that they would make this mistake...intentionally, unless A) They don't care, which they definitely should. Hello! B) Are incompetent

That is all.

If you want to continue to discuss how I am some how a big jerk. Yeah, not really interested. (But I appreciate the sentiment)

Edited by roguefrog

I think the bigger picture is no one cares. Similarly, if we were playing a game set in Victorian England and there was artwork of a man in a suit with the front of the suit being on his left (or whichever it is or is not), no one would care, even though in the day it would be a fashion faux pas. Because the particulars and eccentricities of fashion don't have anything to do with the fantastical or romantic nature of the setting, and probably detract from it if I'm being entirely honest.

Edited by player2636234

PlayerHUGEnumber;

A thoughtful reply. I agree in so far that the bigger picture excludes me, because this is one of those things that I have a difficult time un-seeing. As long as kimonos are being worn incorrectly in the art, it will detract from the setting.

Consider that most of the cards are correct, but the few that are not stick out like a sore thumb.  (consistency)

Edited by roguefrog

39 minutes ago, roguefrog said:

A) They don't care, which they definitely should. Hello! B) Are incompetent

Or they made a simple mistake because they're busy people with busy lives and mistakes happen. Screwing up isn't always a sign of lack of care or incompetence. So stop being a jerk.

P.S. Of course they're undead. How could anyone think they're alive.

15 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Or they made a simple mistake because they're busy people with busy lives and mistakes happen. Screwing up isn't always a sign of lack of care or incompetence. So stop being a jerk.

This seems to imply that busy people don't have time to nitpick about small things like this. But I wonder if busy people have time to argue with nitpicking people and tell them not to be jerks. Otherwise, what's that saying in English... "pot calling the kettle black"? ;)

12 minutes ago, mplain said:

This seems to imply that busy people don't have time to nitpick about small things like this. But I wonder if busy people have time to argue with nitpicking people and tell them not to be jerks. Otherwise, what's that saying in English... "pot calling the kettle black"? ;)

I have a distinct feeling you completely misinterpreted my statement into a way to make an insult towards me. I have neither called the person doing the nitpicking, nor myself, a busy person. So you're comment doesn't really work here, after all, I am not talking about the kettle, I'm talking about the saucepan.

Edited by RandomJC

Is doing a kimono like the way featured in the art actually a mistake in-game? Kachiko was supposedly wearing one wrong in the entire old game but I don't recall anything in the rpg, fiction, or flavor really calling it out. There are decades of rpg, fiction, and flavor though.

Rude boor LOL, how so?

I disagree. I didn't call anyone any names. I stated my case clearly and concise based on facts, a la observation of the art. I did call out the art director but that is about it. What more could you want? 

Edited by roguefrog

6 hours ago, roguefrog said:

Living people should not wear a kimono(or yukata) with the cross section RIGHT over LEFT...it should always be LEFT over RIGHT. There are two cards in the core set that violate this.

oops?

Exhibit A:
L9F0X01.jpg
Exhibit B:
YT8LSjV.png

2 hours ago, roguefrog said:

Sorry about the tone. Just wanted to point it out, to avoid a future incident. Also I would think they would know better to make such a rookie mistake. If they mirrored the artwork, why? It just makes it look wrong.

Also I am doubtful both are undead. They look very much alive. Also consider the hilarious irony that a card called Magnificent Kimono shows wearing the kimono incorrectly. Ponder that for a while.

P.S. If they are truly old artwork, I would have mirrored them to be correct! 

P.P.S. Rough photo edit job that took me five seconds.
nqA60ZA.jpg

Slight edits to tweak tone as to not come off as an ***.

Also, has been stated elsewhere, FFG staff generally doesn't read their forums.  So trying to raise issues with them here is a dead end.

So what is the secret of the ooze that is me being an big jerk? Quoting my posts reveals nothing unless you point out specific parts.

I'll just guess randomly to try to help out. Was it really the sorry not sorry bit? Simply a casual catch phase. Lighten up a bit you guys.