AldousSnow

Ord Mantell Board Log

13 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

Thank you so much. She knows im working on something, but has no idea the scale of it. I cant wait to see her face when she sees the battlefield she gets to whoop my *** on. Im just crazy happy that i have someone who not only tolerates this crazy hobby we all have, but is also a fan herself. 

I'm working on my wife. She's coming around slowly, but she IS coming around.

She plays X-Wing, but she'll only do Legion if I paint the figures for her.

Day 16: I've learned a powerful lesson in the past week. If you don't love it, don't be afraid to change it. My original mental image for the base/buildings was worn in, war torn, and overrun. The more I looked at the few building structures I had started, the more I disliked them. After a few days of stressing about it, I took my hobby knife and cut out the bits that weren't acceptable. This... was hard. I redesigned the front staircase, keeping the Legion specific mini base size in mind. And I think it looks so much better. Also the rear staircase will be replaced with a ramp in time. 

Some other obvious changes are the priming and gritting process on some of the areas. I've heard other builders state that staring at the pink foam can be a bit much over time, and I couldn't agree more. I had to put the first base layer of paint down for my own sanity. 

8hI7hrp.jpg

Day 19: I began blocking out foam for board (A). This board completes the front side of the gaming area along the beach. I also began setting up the 3 rear 1x2 feet boards that will run along behind. Those can't be seen here, but there's not much to see at the moment. Also, in this photo you can see the October Terrain challenge piece I'm doing on these forums. For more info on the Anti-Aircraft mega gun, check that thread out. Lastly, you can see the "broken bridge" that juts out from the complex. It extends right to the edges of the board. This is my unique way (depending on the deployment zone chosen) of allowing the player to place units on the beach, on the bridge, or both. 

Y5nnWtG.jpg

Day 20: The progress so far. Boards (A), (B), and (C). For me, its good to bounce back and forth between different terrain. I carved rocks for a week. It was time to do some more structural items. And now that I've done a fair share of measuring and cutting straight lines... man, I'm excited to do the rocks along the beach (under the bridge and turret). And always, if there's any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them. 

xrmR0lc.jpg

37 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

This looks great! When the game comes out, you'll have to invite me over. :D

Oh ****, you're in LA! Theres a chance I'll get it into a game store for some demos. Ill keep you updated. What game stores do you shop at (if any)?

I just realized I tagged you in that Troop Rally thread. Awesome. Ive lived all around. Mostly Detroit, but I spent some time in Orange/Anaheim 10 years ago, and I'm currently near Venice Beach. 

Edited by AldousSnow

Day 33: It's been 2 weeks since my last update. Been working a lot, both my real jobs and on the board. I've done the grit on my 3 beach boards. It was a slow process to bring my black sand beach to the color I wanted without making it look "painted". So it was layer after layer of a black paint wash. I've also started on the water effects on 1 of the 3 boards.  Some flock has also hit the table, but is nowhere near complete. Foliage will hit the board after paint.

There's been some more rock carving and overall blocking out of the basic shapes around the boards. Everything has been primed as well, so hopefully I'll get around to actually painting the entire board within the next 4 weeks. The back 3 boards have been under extensive re-planning. I've been reading through every "environment" card, "mission" card, and "deployment" card that comes with the box set, and really spending some time thinking of every possible scenario that could happen. I'm trying to create an asymmetrical play area that still remains balanced. Not easy lol.  The front 3 beach boards will provide a more varied, intricate terrain to play on, and the rear boards will remain more "open".  I want to make sure everything is fun and interesting while using the various missions with fair deployment zones.

The goal is to build up the rear 3 boards next. The rear right board will have a storage building with a back and front door, only accessible by troopers, that will create an entry point from the rock plateaus. The rear middle board Will be mostly cluttered with shipping containers and equipment. And the rear left board will one day enjoy seeing a nice Z-95 Headhunter parked and ready to fly.

Until then, here's the progress in pictures.

ok1EamP.jpg

Y0F4CSG.jpg

eFll4iu.jpg

Day 73: Happy Holidays everyone! Two of my three jobs has kept me busy the past month. It's that time of the year, I suppose. But I wanted to throw an update up to show the progress made over the past month... though it's really not that much.

I've been building the rear 3 boards, as planned. I've been setting up the basic frames of the buildings, and planning out how all of the terrain choices will play into the game setup, as we know it. I've been studying the "setup cards" at great length to make sure I've got an asymmetrical, yet balanced play area. My new timeline is to get all the building done by the end of December. Then in the new year, I can start painting the board and adding flock and foliage.  

The rear [secret] entrance is almost done. Just needs some more foam rock cutting and a coat of primer.

HMBXmQo.jpg

This look down the back alley shows the 2 buildings and the very inconvenient roof access that will be an amazing sniper spot... unless Luke jumps up and cuts your arm off. 

fh30urZ.jpg

The last shot shows the scale of this board for the first time. I'm really happy with how it's shaping out so far.  The rear corner (flat pink foam) is still a big question mark in my mind. Haven't decided what to do with the area. Ideas that I've floated around are parking two T-47 Airspeeder models there as terrain. Possibly a radar dish. Another building in the corner. An endless sea of shipping crates? I don't know.

JkCP4En.jpg

17 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Overachiever!

I try lol. Dont get me wrong, I'll be rocking some modular terrain too. But a board like this will utilize every last movement and terrain rule that ffg puts in tge manual.  A lot of folks want the rules before building. I'm guessing to keep heights and spacing within acceptable distances. I'm excited to get them after. What chaos will come? I have no clue. And i love it. 

19 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

I try lol. Dont get me wrong, I'll be rocking some modular terrain too. But a board like this will utilize every last movement and terrain rule that ffg puts in tge manual.  A lot of folks want the rules before building. I'm guessing to keep heights and spacing within acceptable distances. I'm excited to get them after. What chaos will come? I have no clue. And i love it. 

Yes waiting on more rules to surface before committing to my Death Star build, I have everything printed and ready to go I just don't want to build useless areas and  or create a table that isn't playable. I really want to get this table built!!!

Star Wars Battlefront 2 has given me a new perspective on the Death Star interior, showing areas we never saw in the films.