LugWrench

Creating Inquisitors

13 posts in this topic

I'm going to be making a few Nemesis-class NPC's for various games, and I had a question about creating Inquisitors.  The creation guidelines state that the GM selects the values for each attribute from a list of numbers.  Thats all well and good, but are those attributes then modified for the Inquisitors race?  If I wanted to make, say, a Twi'Lek or Wookiee (theres a hilarious thought) Inquisitor, would I then adjust the attributes?  AND, would the Inquisitor also have the racial abilities?  That would also be interesting....a 'saber-wielding, enraged Wookiee inquisitor....

Traditionally, the Characteristic adjustments only apply to player characters, but they can totally be a good reference for you when crafting your Inquisitor.  

I like to refer to that little dark box on page 419 of the Force & Destiny core rulebook.

Just gonna partial quote the most relevant bit out of it.

...the GM should not feel bound by it if he has another idea in mind. Instead he should feel free to design his terrifying NPC as he sees fit...

I have a group of 4-6 PCs and is very combat heavy. As a result the Inquisitor stats in the book would probably be quickly defeated. As a result I just used the base numerical stats, gave him a couple ranks and talents as needed to be a challenge for the group. I then looked in the book and gave him a full career tree (Sentinel Shadow in this case), two saber trees (Shien and Niman), and three force trees (heal/harm, sense, supress). A little OP but he's made as something my group will grow to defeat.

I did create a second Inquisitor just purely using the guidelines in the book to act as a right-hand man.

I'm kind of in the same boat you are, HistoryGuy.  The quick-generation inquisitors seem okay for low level groups, but strike me as little more than minions and flunkys.  A high level group, or one that is as trigger happy as my group, would wade through them without breaking stride.  I've been considering other options for making inquisitors (and other NPC's) something that my group will fear and really have to work to manage a draw, at best.

IMO there's just a couple important things to remember with Inquisitors.

They're the bogeyman, right?

There in the universe to devour all the naughty Force sensitives who don't do their meditation. It's important to show through them what power in the Force can do.

But they're even more important to be there to create drama.

Use the Fear mechanics (including Talents like Fearsome and Terrify), make them powerful in Protect but don't have them just fry the PCs with Unleash (at least not all the time >;D), make them strong in the Discipline skill to resist Powers but don't have them just toss a PC straight up to Long Range and let them drop (that shows power sure but it's not dramatic it's cheap) or smash them with a Sil 4 object unless your PCs have the Talents/Power to mitigate that action(?), give them all of the Enhance Jump line so that they can come in, mess stuff up, banter, be dramatic, and terrifying, and then escape (hopefully) before being killed.

Don't forget the banter!

And don't have them come alone. Keep them "real" (don't just say "well, they have a 50 Wound and Strain Threshold), let them die if the PCs earn their victory. But don't bring a solo BBEG to the party, you're gonna lose. Give 'em Minions and minor Adversaries to absorb some PC actions.

But also if worse comes to worse, bare in mind you can flip a Destiny chip - always keep one in your "pocket" - so that you can introduce some deus ex machine to keep them alive, if it's not "time" yet.

Reccurring villains are fun, but struggling against something you cannot beat is not, try to strike a balance.

Edited by emsquared
Don't forget the banter!
Daeglan likes this

Im not trying to build a god toy, Emsquared.  As I stated previously, my group tends to be very trigger happy and stacks the combat skills like you wouldn't believe.  Their Plan B is, quite literally, "Twice as many explosives as Plan A."  The quick generation rules for Inquisitors would make fine low-level flunkys for my group to beat and feel like they have accomplished something.  But I want to build an Inqusitorus Invictus that the group may have to run from a few times before they finally have the skills, or better yet, the planning, to take him down.

5 hours ago, LugWrench said:

I'm kind of in the same boat you are, HistoryGuy.  The quick-generation inquisitors seem okay for low level groups, but strike me as little more than minions and flunkys.  A high level group, or one that is as trigger happy as my group, would wade through them without breaking stride.  I've been considering other options for making inquisitors (and other NPC's) something that my group will fear and really have to work to manage a draw, at best.

The quick creation inquisitors are good for a gm starting out. By the time you need more you should know how to build better villains for them. They are like training wheels.

awayputurwpn likes this

Here's generally what I do. Build them like the Inquisitor creation rules suggest, then give them a few more skill ranks, entire powers rather than specific upgrades to powers (so like all of move, sense, enhance and maybe one other like bind for funzies), give them 3-4 ranks in the Adversary talent, give them defense of 1-2 either through armor or talents and give them 4 ranks of parry and reflect. If you want them to be tougher, up the wounds, up the strain, throw in improved parry and improved reflect. Don't run them on their own, give them some trooper cannon fodder and maybe a "captain of the guard" or two.

As a reference, here's an inquisitor that was weaker at first and grew in power as the party did, especially after losing the first fight due to an NPC ally helping out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn1g7yz07txx2gz/Inquisitor Jakartis - Gungan.PNG?dl=0

Edited by GroggyGolem
Stan Fresh likes this

My take for the main nemesis of the campaign arc went like this:

Double the starting xp for species, use all of it to buy up their starting characteristics. Then take the total xp the group is likely to have when the character is introduced, double it, and spend it as a PC. Once that's done, go through and trim things that are unnecessary and consolidate. Dodge and other talents like it become ranks in Adversary. Also consolidate and replace talents that can become special abilities like Imperial Valor, or something new and unique to the NPC.

For my current campaign, that made for a human with 220xp in characteristics. He was introduced at about the 100xp point for the PCs, and there are four of them, so the Nemesis has 800xp to spend on talent trees and skills. 

As the main villain for my game has broad responsibilities (Imperial Governor), this ended with an imposing figure but not a godlike adversary that my PCs cannot challenge. It also forced me to take more time crafting a backstory and making choices to flesh out the main villain, which was nice. 

Stan Fresh and TheShard like this

On 9/26/2017 at 0:20 PM, HistoryGuy said:

I have a group of 4-6 PCs and is very combat heavy. As a result the Inquisitor stats in the book would probably be quickly defeated. As a result I just used the base numerical stats, gave him a couple ranks and talents as needed to be a challenge for the group. I then looked in the book and gave him a full career tree (Sentinel Shadow in this case), two saber trees (Shien and Niman), and three force trees (heal/harm, sense, supress). A little OP but he's made as something my group will grow to defeat.

I did create a second Inquisitor just purely using the guidelines in the book to act as a right-hand man.

Another route is to create a nemesis team of mercenary bounty hunters or elite storm commandos who work for the inquisitor. 

HistoryGuy and JRRP like this