saturnflight

As a Casual, I Can't Read the Forums Anymore

24 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

@Celestial Lizards and @Thormind are doing some good work making quality topics - focus on that... 
Respectively: 

Personally, I'd love to have more of the "What would you do..?" threads, with graphs and Vassal screen-shots. If I had more time or played Vassal, the forums would be flooded with them.. 

Tks, i'm about to do another one but with no graph... for now :-)

1 hour ago, Stevey86 said:

Yup. So much so that it's taken me this long to come on here and realise I was tagged in something. :P

Though tbh that's got as much to do with having completely fallen out of love with the game recently and having no money to buy newer stuffs to keep up with everyone else. Roll on Gunboat day so I can just fly 4 of them with no care about getting tabled because I'll finally have Gunboats! :D

Seems to be happening with a chunk of the local player base, although I guess you're not local anymore. :P Is it the power creep that's killed things for you? I went to an OT tourney with Neil and I really noticed how much emphasis was on positioning than at current tourneys. I mean, I can bump with a tipple stressed Dengar and still have TL and focus now but it doesn't feel that ridiculous compared to what I'm facing in the current meta but... it does feel a world apart from ye ole days.

I'll get your prizes sent soon btw mate. Just been super busy recently and keep forgetting to bring it all with me to work...

Edited by Smutpedler

2 hours ago, Timathius said:

I think so too, we just need to realize that competitive and casual play can co-exist. We are all just humans who want to play with plastic space ships in the end. 

Just like in The Truce at Bakura, Rebel and Imperial can set aside their differences when Scum threaten all!

...or rather, competitive and casual can team up against...enteched trolls?  And the competitive folks will eventually betray the casuals, except for the ones who defect...?

Ok, forget the whole thing.  This situation is actually nothing like Bakura.

Edited by JJ48

2 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

Seems to be happening with a chunk of the local player base, although I guess you're not local anymore. :P Is it the power creep that's killed things for you? I went to an OT tourney with Neil and I really noticed how much emphasis was on positioning than at current tourneys. I mean, I can bump with a tipple stressed Dengar and still have TL and focus now but it doesn't feel that ridiculous compared to what I'm facing in the current meta but... it does feel a world apart from ye ole days.

I'll get your prizes sent soon btw mate. Just been super busy recently and keep forgetting to bring it all with me to work...

Yeah kinda. I have my favourite things to fly and with every release they just get pushed further away from being viable options. Bombs and alphas have ruined everything. :P

Finally got a full set of acrylics now though. Need to paint them up and then maybe that'll inspire me to get back into it.

22 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Sunny?  It's been downright hot.   It's been 92F / 33.3C here!   When is the hot going to stop?  I'd be happy with some rain.

September heat wave just broke up here in Toronto. 41C with humidity down to 12C in 24 hours. With rain today... sun, rain, and back to sun.

On 9/26/2017 at 11:35 PM, FlyingAnchors said:

Forces of destiny thread? :P:wacko:

God no.

On 9/27/2017 at 4:06 AM, Admiral Deathrain said:

Gosh can you imagine the salt when the next series is set in the sequel era, considering the fit people had over Rebels in the beginning? 

I can already hear the screeching. My ears bleed.

On 9/26/2017 at 11:32 PM, FlyingAnchors said:

Give it 3 more weeks and the rebels thread will rise from the ashes.

"rush not into fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you gain wisdom."- yoda 

Certainly, but two things.

1: Yoda's kind of a Blowhard.

2: After this season of Rebels, I can't begin to imagine what's next, and given how... Difficult the teething of Rebels was for this forum (for two seasons, loathed by almost half of it- now, now it's well accepted.) I can't imagine that whatever comes next will be well received here.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

16 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Sunny?  It's been downright hot.   It's been 92F / 33.3C here!   When is the hot going to stop?  I'd be happy with some rain.

Come over here! I'll switch with you any day! Like 7C if we are lucky.. :D

I know too much heat is horrible, I lived in Mexico for couple of years and I missed cool weather.

4 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

2: After this season of Rebels, I can't begin to imagine what's next, and given how... Difficult the teething of Rebels was for this forum (for two seasons, loathed by almost half of it- now, now it's well accepted.) I can't imagine that whatever comes next will be well received here.

I am constantly flummoxed by the Star Wars hate on the forums.  Sheesh, I would think that people are here because they are fans.  Sure, some things are better than others (Vong, yuk) but even those elements are liked by some.

I eagerly await any Star Wars stuff, and if it was bad, there's enough other stuff I can just forget about it.

10 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I am constantly flummoxed by the Star Wars hate on the forums.  Sheesh, I would think that people are here because they are fans.  Sure, some things are better than others (Vong, yuk) but even those elements are liked by some.

I eagerly await any Star Wars stuff, and if it was bad, there's enough other stuff I can just forget about it.

Because no one hates Star Wars as much as Star Wars fans.

On 30/09/2017 at 0:23 PM, Captain Lackwit said:

I think it depends on the topic and the tone. Early Rebels felt a lot like a kids show  and it took a bit to develop deep enough stories to feel like it's adding value to the universe.

As a casual, I can read the forums.

If everyone loved X-Wing and thought every expansions was super awesome mega fantastique. If every post was how this game gets better and better, and that the T-65 X-Wing and Tie Fighter is just as effective as the day it was first released.....

.....I'd be worried. 

Complaints help to keep me grounded in my expectations as someone who is just starting out, and responses to said complaints help to build an informed picture and weigh up the pros and cons.

Both light and dark are needed to bring balance to the Force.

I believe that X-Wing players are smart, thoughtful, and patient people who understand what running a successful company takes, and understand the complexities of game design.

But they use this forum to cosplay whiney fourteen-year-old tantrum-throwing yet competitive players who seek to win no matter what.

When I see a typical thread like "Is _______________ too powerful?" or "Is ______________________ broken?" I always say "Oh ho! That's good!!! Good cosplay!"

10 hours ago, LordBlades said:

I think it depends on the topic and the tone. Early Rebels felt a lot like a kids show  and it took a bit to develop deep enough stories to feel like it's adding value to the universe.

I didn't really feel like it was a super-kiddy show. Believe me, I know kid's shows, my little sister watches absolute dreck, it's insane.

But since Rebels was headed by the guys who worked on the much beloved Clone Wars (which was at first DESPISED), I knew it was only going to get better. Even though there are a couple of truly crap episodes.

Like the one where Hera kills a ship across the Galaxy by using her Droid to wirelessly transmit power/data back to a large vessel literally made of servers. WHAT THE ****.

8 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I didn't really feel like it was a super-kiddy show. Believe me, I know kid's shows, my little sister watches absolute dreck, it's insane.

But since Rebels was headed by the guys who worked on the much beloved Clone Wars (which was at first DESPISED), I knew it was only going to get better. Even though there are a couple of truly crap episodes.

Like the one where Hera kills a ship across the Galaxy by using her Droid to wirelessly transmit power/data back to a large vessel literally made of servers. WHAT THE ****.

Obviously the empire in a great need to conserve resources for the death star  modified the servers coolant system to use the same liquid as the ships fuel. Basically it's like liquid cooling your house with gasoline. It's great until the power company overloads your breaker box and  catches on fire and burns a hole in the piping.

but why they didn't have failsafes is beyond me. I guess returning antagonists is to much of an inquisition.;) 

Edited by FlyingAnchors