Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Celestial Lizards

TIE Interceptor Pilots Ranked

41 posts in this topic

I wanted to try to rate the named TIE-IN pilots and see if you agree. I plan to also do this for the TIE Defender, Bomber, Advanced, Fighter, and FO, which will be released throughout the week. 

1. Soontir Fel

2. Turr Phennir

3. Carnor Jax

4. Kir Kanos

5. Fel's Wrath

6. Lt. Lorrir

7. Tetran Cowall

GILLIES291, Odanan and LagJanson like this

16 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

I LOVE Turr. If you have VI, you can attack, then barrel roll or boost out of the defender's arc so they cant shoot you back. 

too bad turrets mean "arcs" aren't really a thing you can "dodge" anymore. :( Either way, you 100% got him and Carnor backwards. Carnor' ability is one of the best in the game.

But ya, interceptors need amazing pilot abilities, high ps, an elite talent, AND luck to perform well in today's game. 

Wrath and Lorrir need to be the bottom 2 for sure.

Edited by Kdubb

Competitively speaking...

1. Soontir Fel

1. Carnor Jax

2. Turr Phennir

3. Tetran Cowall

4. Kir Kanos

5. Lt. Lorrir

6. Fel's Wrath

No, that's not a typo. Fel and Jax are very meta dependent. Not a whole lot of weaponized stress flying around or not much PS war going on? Fel is your pilot. Lots of defensive tokens stacking up or PS wars raging? Jax is your man. Both pilots routinely swap 1st place depending on what else is flying out there. Interceptors have always been my favorite Star Wars ship and I still fly them from time to time even in tournaments.

Edited by spartan1128

38 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

1. Soontir Fel

2.  Carnor Jax

That's it

And that's the attitude that creates a crappy meta.

The other pilots exist, and even if they are not #1 and #2, they can have a role in the game.

Varyag, Parakitor and Giledhil like this

5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

And that's the attitude that creates a crappy meta.

The other pilots exist, and even if they are not #1 and #2, they can have a role in the game.

I would say it's more the design of the other pilots that is more attributable to a crappy meta. Soontir and Carnor are the only 2 interceptor pilots that have proven to hold their value in such a way that they are feasible options in a competitive aspect of the game. 

You can (and should) try the other pilots, but there is a very, very high chance you will come to the conclusion that many others have- that they do not provide sufficient value for their cost, and you are better off looking to other options.

Edited by Kdubb

Power tier list:

1. Carnor Jax (VI) but GOD do you have to be a way better pilot than me

2. Soontir Fel (PTL)

3. Carnor Jax (PTL)

4. Saber Squadron Pilot

5. Royal Guard Pilot

6. Alpha Squadron Pilot (I think PS1 Strikers with or without LWF are better blockers)

7. Turr Phennir (VI) - although I REALLY want to try him with Snap Shot at some point

8. Lt. Lorrir

9. Tetran Cowell (best I've used him was just Wired, no Autothrusters)

10. Kir Kanos (even with Stridan passing him TL + Focus, he's so much weaker than Inquisitor for a similar cost)

11. Avenger Squadron Pilot

12. Fel's Wrath

Ranked by how much fun you'll have:

1. Lt. Lorrir

2-11: Lt. Lorrir

Nyxen, Kieransi, Gersun and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, FirstOrderProblems said:

Power tier list:

1. Carnor Jax (VI) but GOD do you have to be a way better pilot than me

2. Soontir Fel (PTL)

3. Carnor Jax (PTL)

4. Saber Squadron Pilot

5. Royal Guard Pilot

6. Alpha Squadron Pilot (I think PS1 Strikers with or without LWF are better blockers)

7. Turr Phennir (VI) - although I REALLY want to try him with Snap Shot at some point

8. Lt. Lorrir

9. Tetran Cowell (best I've used him was just Wired, no Autothrusters)

10. Kir Kanos (even with Stridan passing him TL + Focus, he's so much weaker than Inquisitor for a similar cost)

11. Avenger Squadron Pilot

12. Fel's Wrath

1. Lt. Lorrir

I agree. Carnor is the best. 

And Lorrir is SO FUN!!! Whenever I fly him, I always mess myself up by doing that funky barrel roll at the wrong time just because it looks cool...

29 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

I would say it's more the design of the other pilots that is more attributable to a crappy meta. Soontir and Carnor are the only 2 interceptor pilots that have proven to hold their value in such a way that they are feasible options in a competitive aspect of the game

You can (and should) try the other pilots, but there is a very, very high chance you will come to the conclusion that many others have- that they do not provide sufficient value for their cost, and you are better off looking to other options.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @Celestial Lizards is more of a casual player looking to have a little fun.  Hence, certain pilots may have a higher subjective value than their actual MathWinger combat value.  The game does not always have to be about straight up "am I gonna win?" competition, and 1 odd-ball pilot choice might not hurt your game.

26 minutes ago, FirstOrderProblems said:

1. Lt. Lorrir

That's the spirit!!

LagJanson likes this

50 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

5.  Tetran Cowall

I know he's basically baby's first Ryad, but anything capable of a) a 1-K-Turn and b) choosing to change speeds after revealing the maneuvre has a special place in my heart. 

FTS Gecko likes this

1 minute ago, DampfGecko said:

I know he's basically baby's first Ryad, but anything capable of a) a 1-K-Turn and b) choosing to change speeds after revealing the maneuvre has a special place in my heart. 

Good PS to help make use of that ability as well.  The big downsides though are that his ability doesn't synergise with Interceptor's Best Friend (Push the Limit), and he loses his action full stop if he uses it.

If we lived in a world of fixed firing arcs, he'd be really good.

DampfGecko likes this

6 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Good PS to help make use of that ability as well.  The big downsides though are that his ability doesn't synergise with Interceptor's Best Friend (Push the Limit), and he loses his action full stop if he uses it.

If we lived in a world of fixed firing arcs, he'd be really good.

Flying him with Predator ain't too shabby!

FirstOrderProblems likes this

@FTS Gecko @DampfGecko Do you guys have any fun builds for Tetran? Or teammate suggestions?

I've tried him with VI before, but he didn't really accomplish much. I've also tried him with Yorr but a) I didn't fly too well, and b) I thought having the shuttle nearby put too much pressure on an interceptor to actually shoot stuff. The most fun I've had was just with Wired to keep him as cheap as possible and give him some mods on the K-turn...turns. I don't remember if I tried him with Predator or not, but he starts getting pretty expensive pretty fast

7 minutes ago, FirstOrderProblems said:

@FTS Gecko @DampfGecko Do you guys have any fun builds for Tetran? Or teammate suggestions?

I've tried him with VI before, but he didn't really accomplish much. I've also tried him with Yorr but a) I didn't fly too well, and b) I thought having the shuttle nearby put too much pressure on an interceptor to actually shoot stuff. The most fun I've had was just with Wired to keep him as cheap as possible and give him some mods on the K-turn...turns. I don't remember if I tried him with Predator or not, but he starts getting pretty expensive pretty fast

This makes me think- I guess VI isn't that great on him because he isn't exactly built around shooting first, but so completely focused to get out of arc? 

Most of the times I took him I actually flew him close to naked. I like him as a pawn of sorts, because he doesn't cost that much base and gets very annoying if you leave him be. Autothrusters is of course always worth considering, and I really like Wired actually. 

Dunno, just work your upgrades around his weaknesses (lack of Target Lock, 3 Hull, often stressed)- his flexibility is built in.

But as I said, I had the most fun playing him when I just took him and ran.

Edited by DampfGecko

He struggles a bit because his ability - while situationally useful - deprives him of actions.  And if a TIE Interceptor isn't stacking Focus and Evade, it's just a 3 health, 3 agility ship that'll fold under fire.

Tetran makes it up to 5th on my list mainly due to good PS and the ability to take an Elite Talent - his ability is just a bonus if you find yourself needing to quickly reposition, or if you can get a range one shot on a fixed-arc ship using it.

As for specific builds... you still can't really look past Autothrusters and Push the Limit, really.  They're pretty much stapled to Interceptors.  Wired may be a useful alternative if you want to try and exploit his ability.

FirstOrderProblems likes this

49 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

Agreed.  Turr and Tetran are favs because I like any ship with movement hijinks.

Carnor needs to be 1 or 2, Fel the other, Turr 3rd. After that, they're all basically irrelevant. Well, more irrelevant.

Edited by mdl0114

Most people will come up with Fel and Jax with Turr being known to those who have played for some time.  Wonder how many people couldn't even name the rest without looking them up much less use them.

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

I agree. Carnor is the best. 

And Lorrir is SO FUN!!! Whenever I fly him, I always mess myself up by doing that funky barrel roll at the wrong time just because it looks cool...

Agreed so much fun just,  bu even with autothruster it only takes 1or 2 shots to make him dead with any turret 

Edited by doji