Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyu Kage

Balancing A Five Player Campaign

3 posts in this topic

Greetings Fellow Empire Players (And Interested Rebels).

I am currently working on modifying the existing missions, and creating some of my own, to allow for a fifth hero to be played regularly through a campaign.

So far, the Hoth campaign has scaled the best by increasing later missions threat and adding an extra Open group to missions after the Interlude.

A couple of older threads are here describe peoples experience with 6 or 7 players, but they often revolve around splitting into groups or having one or more players take charge of an Ally rather than a hero. Plus, they're 12 months or more old, and there have been some great expansions since then.

One of the missions I designed is a straight up fight. Many of the the Rebel missions revolve around specific timed tasks or objectives. This one has the Heros invade a small outpost to disrupt communications with some Sabatouers. After round three, two AT-ST's appear outside and the Heros need to take them out before they can escape.

Looking forward to seeing what people have done or experienced. 

Edited by Kyu Kage
Spelling mistake in title...
angelman2 likes this

I have a (slow) ongoing 5 hero campaign.

It uses these rules:

-2 HP on all heroes

Threat level increased by 1

Starting threat increased by threat level (and optional deployment if there isnt one)

Open Groups +1

+1 Influence set, draw +1 card.

6 xp/influence spread out through campaign. For the JR campaign, I am doing +1 xp after intro and interlude. +1 Influence after all story missions. (Based on 4 rebel xp=1 imperial xp & 400 credits=1 influence)

I have also done a full solo campaign using most of these rules.

Edited by Deadwolf
Kyu Kage likes this

Those are good ideas and it sounds like you've adjusted appropriately.

We've had a couple of missions throughout our campaigns where we've have more than 5 people show up. In some cases we've had 2 Imperial players, which works well so they can plot and scheme together much like the Rebels do.

The easiest option we've come up with for 5 rebel players is to have one of them control an allied deployment. As long as you can agree on a properly costed character (e.g. Jedi Luke) to play as, there shouldn't be any problems. If the ally gets defeated, you can allow a redeployment and give the Imp the threat plus an optional deployment.