UnsungHiro

TIE Punished? A Q3 Tournament report.

7 posts in this topic

My LGS had their monthly tournament over the weekend and I was looking for a unique squad to fly. I was inspired by a thread on the main forums about the lack of Imperial bombing options. Bomblet Generator is a pretty powerful option for Scum and Rebels if you have the chassis to carry it. The Imperials have just a single option for this upgrade though: the much maligned TIE Punisher. So I set out to build a squad around a TIE Punisher, fully expecting to be punished for using such a poorly designed ship.

My squad:
Deathrain: Collision Detector, Unguided Rockets, Bomblet Generator, Lightweight Frame (33);
Darth Vader: VI, Cruise Missiles, TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Comp, Guidance Chips (34);
Quickdraw: Adaptability, FCS, Spec Ops, Lightweight Frame (33)

Deathrain is really the only option if I was going to use bombs, but I also added Unguided Rockets to give him an offensive boost after burping up his bomblets. Quickdraw was also an easy inclusion since he seems to be one of the few Imperial aces still viable (plus there's the potential for shenanigans if Quickdraw is hit by one of Deathrain's bombs). To round out the squad, I added an alpha strike Vader at PS 11. With so many high PS aces in the meta right now, I liked the potent offense Vader provides over something like a Cruise Missile equipped Inquisitor. I brought debris with me as my obstacles so that Deathrain could take advantage of his Collision Detector and his ability.

Game 1: Win - 100 - 67
RAC: VI, Palpatine, Kylo Ren, Engine Upgrade;
Omega Leader: Comm, Juke;
Academy Pilot

Without any practice beforehand, I went into this game (and tourney) looking to take advantage of Quickdraw's potential synergy with Deathrain's bombs. I set up Deathrain on the left, and Quickdraw and Vader towards the middle. My opponent had his two TIE Fighters directly across from Vader and RAC on my right towards the edge of the board. The Academy Pilot puts himself in a great blocking position forcing me to second guess a potential alpha strike on Omega. I decide to bank with Vader towards RAC. Deathrain burps up a bomb that deals 2 damage to the Academy Pilot, and a single damage to both Omega Leader and Quickdraw. Quickdraw uses his ability to take a shot at Omega but doesn't deal any damage. Vader takes two shields off RAC and Quickdraw deals a hit to Omega Leader with his standard attack. RAC and Omega combine to deal Quickdraw two damage and my shields are gone and Deathrain finishes off the Academy Pilot with his rockets. The next round, Deathrain drops another bomblet that deals two damage to RAC, dropping his shields and Vader deals two crits to the suddenly vulnerable Decimator. Quickdraw blows up Omega Leader but quickly dies himself after a volley of fire from RAC. The next turn, my opponent uses Kylo Ren to give Vader a damaged cockpit crit swinging the momentum towards him. He’d end up using Kylo to hand out both blinded pilots later on, once to Vader and once to Deathrain. At pilot score 0, Vader has a hard time maintaining range and position on RAC and is soon destroyed. RAC is hanging around with 5 points of hull left and Deathrain has one or two damage on him. I manage to use the bomblets and Deathrain’s barrel rolls to keep a healthy distance away from RAC as I chase him around the board. We’re both plinking a few damage off each other each round. Eventually we’re both down to a single point of health and we’ve maneuvered into a corner. There’s an asteroid between us and I’m hoping the extra defense die helps me survive to get my shot off. Then I remember that Vader dealt a Stunned Pilot crit to RAC way back when. I can use my barrel roll to get around the rock and try and block RAC with a boost. I’m betting that my opponent doesn't want to get too far away from me so that he can still use his ability. I set myself up for the block and my opponent reveals a 2-bank, directly into me. Game over. This was one of the best games of X-Wing I’ve played, it had huge swings back and forth and ended on a longshot maneuver that paid off.

Game 2: Win - 100 - 33
Wedge: Adaptability, BB-8, Plasma Torps, Guidance Chips;
Airen Cracken: VI, Cruise Missiles, Guidance Chips;
Corran: VI, R2-D2, FCS

Rebel alpha strike lists are neat but they’re punchless after they get their missiles off. I setup Deathrain and Quickdraw on the left and Vader in the right. He has Wedge and Cracken across from my pair of ships and Corran on my right. For the second game in a row, I second guess my own alpha strike with Vader and move him into a flanking position near Corran. Quickdraw takes the brunt of the opposing alpha strike (both the cruise missiles and the plasma torpedo) but manages to survive with one hull remaining. Between his two return shots, he removes Wedge’s shields. The next round, Vader fires his four-dice cruise missile into Wedge blowing him out of the sky. Quickdraw has Cracken lined up ahead of him and Corran behind him. I decide to shoot them both, dealing a damage to both. Somehow he manages to survive both return shots and only a double tap from Corran is able to finally kill him. Deathrain uses his rockets to erase Cracken and it’s now two on one with Vader behind Corran. After a few rounds, my two ships made quick work of the final ship.

Game 3: Win - 100 - 67
Blue Sq: Collision Detector, Tractor;
Blue Sq: Collision Detector;
Gold Sq: TLT, R3-A2, BTL-A4;
Bandit: Tracers, Guidance Chips;
Bandit: Concussion Missiles, Guidance Chips

I didn’t like seeing a Rebel swarm across from me. That’s a lot hit points to burn through and a lot of attack dice coming my way. At least my bombs will have more targets to hit. I set up Deathrain and Quickdraw in the middle with Vader on the left across from his Y-Wing. I was hoping to get off an alpha strike against it and then swoop past his swarm. I got my missile off, dealing four damage to the stresshog, but a 5-straight on the following turn wasn’t far enough to escape his ships. Vader was tracered and then ate a concussion missile and far too many red dice. All five of his ships were bunched up around an asteroid and a debris and Deathrain was in perfect position to take advantage of this. The next few turns saw a ton of damage dealt by my bomblets—to all of his ships and both of mine. The Stresshog went down quickly but not before double stressing Quickdraw. One of his Bandits and the non-Tractor Blues went down next. With fewer ships to jam up the board, his remaining two ships broke off, finally taking down Deathrain after he had dealt at least four damage to himself. Both of his ships had taken massive damage in the brawl and Quickdraw easily hunted them down for the win.

Game 4: Win - 100 - 67
Chewbacca (Original): VI, Gunner, Nien Nunb, MF (Original);
Corran: PTL, Adv Sensors, R2-D2, Stealth Device, Flechette Torps

I was feeling pretty good heading into this last game. Deathrain had proven himself over and over again during the day and I felt like the matchup I was facing was in my favor. Unfortunately, a silly mistake on my part led to both Quickdraw and Vader bumping into Deathrain during the first round of combat. It took a Corran double-tap but a token-less Vader was easy prey for my opponent. Because of our position on the board, I focused all my fire on Chewbacca, hoping to remove him from the table pretty quickly. It took a few turns but I was able to take him out but lost Deathrain in return. Quickdraw was mostly untouched and had position behind Corran. I began whittling away at him a shield or two at a time. He had more points than I did so I knew I had to go for the kill leading to some aggressive maneuvers. I was a little too aggressive a few turns in a row allowing him to regenerate shields without receiving return fire. He finally k-turned and I set up a range one exchange. Between my two shots, I ended up doing exactly four damage, killing Corran before he could double-tap me himself.

This was a really fun squad to fly and Deathrain with unlimited munitions was a surprisingly strong support ship.

Wow! That first game sounds amaaazing! Congrats on the wins!

Would you ever run Deathrain without Bomblet, or is it just too good to pass up?

I used Deathrain's barrel roll ability with the Bomblet so often. The point cost and the benefits of using it on turns where you just need a barrel roll means I won't be flying him without it. If only he had a EPT so you could stick Intensity on him too...

11 hours ago, UnsungHiro said:

I was feeling pretty good heading into this last game. Deathrain had proven himself over and over again during the day and I felt like the matchup I was facing was in my favor. Unfortunately, a silly mistake on my part led to both Quickdraw and Vader bumping into Deathrain during the first round of combat. It took a Corran double-tap but a token-less Vader was easy prey for my opponent. Because of our position on the board, I focused all my fire on Chewbacca, hoping to remove him from the table pretty quickly. It took a few turns but I was able to take him out but lost Deathrain in return. Quickdraw was mostly untouched and had position behind Corran. I began whittling away at him a shield or two at a time. He had more points than I did so I knew I had to go for the kill leading to some aggressive maneuvers. I was a little too aggressive a few turns in a row allowing him to regenerate shields without receiving return fire. He finally k-turned and I set up a range one exchange. Between my two shots, I ended up doing exactly four damage, killing Corran before he could double-tap me himself.

That game would have been amazing if  QD had killed Corran by double tapping from the double tap that corran killed him with.  A full 100-100 score!

In the last missions evening we had, we had an 'expanding fireflower' after one quickdraw shot another quickdraw, whose revenge shot hit the first quickdraw, in each case setting off a double-tap attack before the second quickdraw's 'normal' double-tap. It's not an uncommon matchup to see and can result in truly ridiculous numbers of shots flying around..

That looks like a fun list in a fun, non-meta tournament!

On 9/22/2017 at 5:30 PM, UnsungHiro said:

Rebel alpha strike lists are neat but they’re punchless after they get their missiles off.

They're not as common as Imperial or Scum alpha, but don't write them off!  Sub in a cheaper, better Nym for that Corran and that list is miles better.