Jump to content
cyberknightsteve

Will we see PDF's?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ApocalypseZero said:

As someone with not-so-great eyes, I sure hope so. I can't read any of the charts due to the small font. (Sucks being the GM right now.)

My only complaint of the book is the smaller font to reduce page count. I'd rather have pages I can read and pay $60. I already did it for Star Wars.... :D

Wild, this book is actually easier on my eyes than the SW lines.  I just looked and while the sizes look about the same, Genesys has a darker impression - not quite bold, but more.. well, firm. I'm sure there's an actual name for that sort of thing if one were to ask a font engineer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Wars charts could get rough at times to read, I feel like Genesys might be 1-2 pts smaller in Font, and that enough has made it a problem for me. It could be a different background color, but I'm not sure. All I know is I can read the Star Wars with a little fight.

Edited by ApocalypseZero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silverfox13 said:

All of the previous opinions aside, I believe it would be smart of FFG to both produce a pdf and announce it soon, for their own sake.
It won't take long for someone else to do it anyways.

Yepp, there are already big junks of pics/pdfs circulating. But I'd prefer to purchase an official pdf if they finaly decide to publish one. I love to have both, dead tree and digital so in my case it would be a win win for FFG and I assume many others would prefer a legal one as well. But surely there will be those who seek it for free and they would be a missed opportunity for FFG.

Edited by DarthDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Natural Reader is a good android app ... I think there was a small cost. Looks like it's also available for pc but I haven't tried it. 

There's a Chrome extension called Read Aloud that seems to work pretty well.

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (and maybe Acrobat Reader?) does it too, but ironically not as well lol ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who lives in Canada, the shipping just to get the book here is 40$ so I would paying about 90$ USD for the book to get here. That is a pretty steep cost for me. 

I would love the option to purchase an official PDF as I greatly support and like FFG's products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Striderman said:

As someone who lives in Canada, the shipping just to get the book here is 40$ so I would paying about 90$ USD for the book to get here. That is a pretty steep cost for me. 

I would love the option to purchase an official PDF as I greatly support and like FFG's products.

You must live in the boonies I can’t imagine there’s no game distributors in Canada, are you ordering direct from FFG? 

I remember the mail system being awful around Christmas time though, if the post office isn’t on strike.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Striderman said:

As someone who lives in Canada, the shipping just to get the book here is 40$ so I would paying about 90$ USD for the book to get here. That is a pretty steep cost for me. 

I would love the option to purchase an official PDF as I greatly support and like FFG's products.

I stumbled across STARLIT CITADEL in Vancouver, BC. They have online ordering and list Genesys as preorder for CA$46.99. Shipping may be slightly more reasonable then from the  States

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Eoen said:

You must live in the boonies I can’t imagine there’s no game distributors in Canada, are you ordering direct from FFG? 

I remember the mail system being awful around Christmas time though, if the post office isn’t on strike.

Yeah that's from a direct order from the FFG store. I called the game stores around where I live that I know about at least and none had genesys or were out of stock.

13 hours ago, lyinggod said:

I stumbled across STARLIT CITADEL in Vancouver, BC. They have online ordering and list Genesys as preorder for CA$46.99. Shipping may be slightly more reasonable then from the  States

Ah alright I'll look at that, thank you very much.

Edited by Striderman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 0:00 AM, eggpro said:

I just don’t like reading and storing books anymore. So if they don’t  make the pdf available I guess I won’t be playing this system.

I would very much like being able to say the same, but, alas, I've been weak. 

Edited by Grimmerling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 3:00 PM, eggpro said:

I just don’t like reading and storing books anymore. So if they don’t  make the pdf available I guess I won’t be playing this system.

I agree as far as novels are concerned. However when it comes to easy (and quick) reference, whether concerning RPG rulebooks, text books, or technical manuals, even the most highly cross-referenced pdf's fall well sort of the ease of reference that a physical copy allows for. This is especially true when the document exceeds a few dozen pages. Granted being able to do a word find in a PDF is nice, especially if the index is grossly inferior this doesn't outweigh the overall benefits of a physical copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, themensch said:

I was once of that mind, but technology let me down and now I do both.  

I do both for core books (if I am actually playing the game) but tend to stick with pdf for supplements these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, themensch said:

I was once of that mind, but technology let me down and now I do both.  

I bought the hardcover two times, one of those as a christmas present for my players. And I will additionally buy the pdf for the lunch break at work :D 

I can't help, I love the dead tree version of RPGs, the smell, the touch *sigh* 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sproy923 said:

Based on the interview I saw with Sam Steward last night, I got the strong impression that there will be a PDF release.

I truly hope so, but it's now been 1 day shy of 2 weeks and there's not been a definitive word one way or the other.  I'm still cautiously optimistic, because they were pretty bad about releasing preview articles and the actual book was still pretty **** marvellous.

34 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

I can't help, I love the dead tree version of RPGs, the smell, the touch *sigh* 

Pretty electrons by choice.  Dead trees purely out of necessity.  My book will be at the table.  My PDF will be on my GMing laptop, my iPad, my phone, my workstation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lyinggod said:

I agree as far as novels are concerned. However when it comes to easy (and quick) reference, whether concerning RPG rulebooks, text books, or technical manuals, even the most highly cross-referenced pdf's fall well sort of the ease of reference that a physical copy allows for. This is especially true when the document exceeds a few dozen pages. Granted being able to do a word find in a PDF is nice, especially if the index is grossly inferior this doesn't outweigh the overall benefits of a physical copy.

Seriously? I've found indexed pdf's far easier to look up than physical rulebooks. This is one of the reasons I favor pdfs even when both are available (admittedly this is very rare for me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×