cyberknightsteve

Will we see PDF's?

Being a meta guide, much less interested in a .pdf this time since there's little to no parts of the book to be screen-cap'ed and pasted into my OneNote folders.  Unlike SW, where it's great to cut-and-paste adversaries right into my notes (*cough* in theory, anyway...*cough).

30 minutes ago, Lorne said:

Being a meta guide, much less interested in a .pdf this time since there's little to no parts of the book to be screen-cap'ed and pasted into my OneNote folders.  Unlike SW, where it's great to cut-and-paste adversaries right into my notes (*cough* in theory, anyway...*cough).

As far as I know it's perfectly legal to buy a book and then have it ripped apart and digitalised by a third party; well, at least I do hope it is. I just cannot have half of my baggage allowance used up by the books.

Edited by Grimmerling

1 hour ago, DarthGM said:

I'm betting they will. They've made PDFs of every other RPG they've done, and presumably the only reason there are no PDFs allowed for Star Wars is due to Lucasfilm/Disney restrictions.

This this should settle the debate.  

If Genesys gets pdf releases then the licensing issue everyone talks about is a thing.

If it does not, then it would seem pretty obvious that the licensing issue is not the barrier to pfds that people believe it is.

4 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

This this should settle the debate.  

If Genesys gets pdf releases then the licensing issue everyone talks about is a thing.

If it does not, then it would seem pretty obvious that the licensing issue is not the barrier to pfds that people believe it is.

Well, probably, but AFAIK all their PDFs on Drive-Thru are pre-Asmodee, so if none come out for Genesys and L5R (beyond the free beta, obviously), it could be the case that Asmodee just so happens to agree with Lucasfilm's wrongheaded "conventional wisdom" licensing constraints. And if any of them actually aren't, then we already have confirmation of the obvious.

42 minutes ago, twincast said:

Well, probably, but AFAIK all their PDFs on Drive-Thru are pre-Asmodee, so if none come out for Genesys and L5R (beyond the free beta, obviously), it could be the case that Asmodee just so happens to agree with Lucasfilm's wrongheaded "conventional wisdom" licensing constraints. And if any of them actually aren't, then we already have confirmation of the obvious.

I think you're on to something with the pre-Asmodee.

I wasn't hanging around back in those days so I don't know when pdfs became available or if any new pdfs or non legacy systems received pdf releases after the takeover.  Really it's an occam's razor thing for me.  The best way to safeguard against digital piracy of physical items is to not make or restrict digital versions as much as possible.  Personally I think they should give out free pdfs and books of the system and then make sure they never make pfd versions of the content expansions.  

If you want people to use your os you make it as easy as possible to get that os...then they pay for the programs

****, maybe the Star Wars licensing deal is that Lucas/Disney gets X dollars of every unit sold and that amount is higher than customers will pay for PDFs.  

If you look at the character sheet in a good PDF viewer, the pages are numbered as if they're from the back of the book (i.e. 200-something). I don't remember the exact numbers, but I compared it to the physical page numbers in the book, and they match. So, while all that definitively means is that FFG probably pulled the character sheet from the end of their production file for the whole book in Acrobat rather than developing the sheet in a separate file, it makes my speculation lean toward "there will be a PDF available at some point."

8 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

Are the End of the world games available on pdfs?

Yes.

I’m pretty sure someone at WotC commented that the licensing deal from Lucas Film was poorly worded and it wasn’t possible to differentiate between a computer game and an electronic book. EA has the license for Star Wars computer games. 

I look at it this way if FFG wants to release PDFs great.  If they don't, great.  It's their decision, and I wish them best of luck in their efforts and hope their decision is a profitable one either way because I like their products.

Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't take that as much sign of anything; FFG probably produce PDF files internally regardless of whether or not they intend to release one, it's a pretty convenient format for sharing digital copies around the office with fellow designers.

7 hours ago, 2P51 said:

I look at it this way if FFG wants to release PDFs great.  If they don't, great.  

u4sluch.jpg

I presume  

1) you've already got a copy, 

2) you have no need of taking your rpg stuff with you on a plane regularly. 

Nevertheless, be assured there are people who NEED electronic versions of the books. 

8 hours ago, Grimmerling said:

u4sluch.jpg

I presume  

1) you've already got a copy, 

2) you have no need of taking your rpg stuff with you on a plane regularly. 

Nevertheless, be assured there are people who NEED electronic versions of the books. 

People don't need it.  They're whining for it, but they don't need it.  

15 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

If there were pdfs of the star wars books I would have bought most of the range, there aren't and I haven't seen physical copies in any LGS and shipping is usually exorbitant (like as much again as the book) to to city where I live. I expect the same to hold with Genysys and L5R. Need is accurate in so far as can't reasonably buy without.

1 hour ago, 2P51 said:

Do you say the same thing about RPGs that get released in PDF format only?

I'm not engaging in silly banter over the definition of the word 'need'.  Bottom line is FFG is a very successful company, and I'm sure they've done their marketing homework, so I'm equally sure whatever path they choose is, in their far better positioned view to make the judgment, going to be most profitable to them.  So again, good stuff either way in my eyes, get a PDF good for me, they don't do a PDF because they feel it's better financially for them, also good for me as company that produces high quality good stuff is more successful and continues to be.  Win/win in my eyes.

1 minute ago, 2P51 said:

I would never deny anyone their right to whine.

You do seem quite agitated on this topic for someone so expressively not caring about it one way or the other. Why don't you just leave this debate to those who do, when your sole contribution to the discussion is the debasement of other people's desires, regardless the circumstances. 

23 minutes ago, Grimmerling said:

I would highly appreciate your letting me decide  what I need and what I don't. Thank you so very much, indeed! 

I think what he’s getting at is that none of us NEEDS a pdf (or physical copy, for that matter) of a game. It is not essential to our continued survival, even if it would be quite enjoyable and convenient.

7 minutes ago, Grimmerling said:

You do seem quite agitated on this topic for someone so expressively not caring about it one way or the other. Why don't you just leave this debate to those who do, when your sole contribution to the discussion is the debasement of other people's desires, regardless the circumstances. 

Who's agitated? This really feels like a back and forth with my grandson when it's nap time....

7 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

I think what he’s getting at is that none of us NEEDS a pdf (or physical copy, for that matter) of a game. It is not essential to our continued survival, even if it would be quite enjoyable and convenient.

You are in fact correct, but again, I wasn't going to play word pong over it.