cyberknightsteve

Will we see PDF's?

Bumping this topic just in the hopes that FFG makes some sort of statement regarding Genesys PDF's.  I already ordered the book from my FLGS and frankly would be willing to pay half that cost again for a PDF if need be so I have a more portable/searchable version, although being able to get it for free if I can demonstrate purchase would be even nicer...

5 minutes ago, Dragonshadow said:

Bumping this topic just in the hopes that FFG makes some sort of statement regarding Genesys PDF's.  I already ordered the book from my FLGS and frankly would be willing to pay half that cost again for a PDF if need be so I have a more portable/searchable version, although being able to get it for free if I can demonstrate purchase would be even nicer...

I couldn't agree more!

I have ordered the book, along with 4 dice packs to start.... but also would pay a bit more for a PDF as well!

10 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

Myself, I'd gladly pay double, if I were able to download on Thursday in order to ease the anticipation, waiting for the delivery to arrive.

I'm betting they won't.

The magical license issue is something SW players hold on to to explain why they can't have pdfs of their games (funny how the IA app is coming out and tanking that whole argument).

I think FFG likes their money right where it is and they know that if they release a pdf of this one then there will be vastly fewer books sold and most people will have the free pdf. 

Edited by Zrob314

I guess it would be no harm to the booksales, most fans of our hobby appreciate the dead-book-version in addition to their pdf. And what SW showed us is that scanned versions appeared nearly instantly in the internet. So why not monetize on an official pdf from FFG? I would be more than willing to purchase a propper legal pdf version in addition to the book, dice and now the dice app which I instantly purchased as well! :D 

11 minutes ago, PadreBoniface said:

Gameslore is sending Genesys out next week.

Thanks for the info; I fear a shipment from the Isles sent next week won't reach me before I'm off for the holidays, same problem with the German stores prognosticating the 15th. 

Help me, PDF, you're my only hope!

5 hours ago, DarthDude said:

I guess it would be no harm to the booksales, most fans of our hobby appreciate the dead-book-version in addition to their pdf. And what SW showed us is that scanned versions appeared nearly instantly in the internet. So why not monetize on an official pdf from FFG? I would be more than willing to purchase a propper legal pdf version in addition to the book, dice and now the dice app which I instantly purchased as well! :D 

I couldn't agree more, especially as a watermarked pdf is less likely to be redistributed than a book scan. 

I daresay the margin with a pdf is such, that even a copy used jointly by a whole play group is still profitable. 

7 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

I'm betting they won't.

The magical license issue is something SW players hold on to to explain why they can't have pdfs of their games (funny how the IA app is coming out and tanking that whole argument).

I think FFG likes their money right where it is and they know that if they release a pdf of this one then there will be vastly fewer books sold and most people will have the free pdf. 

A freemium app is a completely different beast from (watermarked but otherwise) DRM-free PDFs?

11 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

I'm betting they won't.

I disagree. If they like money, PDFs would be better source for it, as they have smaller production expenses (no printing, no freight, no storage). Piracy wouldn't be much larger issue as it now, because most SW books can be found online as scanned versions, so it wouldn't be that much easier.

Personally I would buy both physical copy, and PDF, if PDFs are sold. Partially because I live in periferia, and freight to here takes a lot of time. And partially because I play a lot online (roll20), and PDFs are fairly practical in those kind of games.

10 minutes ago, kkuja said:

Piracy wouldn't be much larger issue as it now, because most SW books can be found online as scanned versions, so it wouldn't be that much easier.

I'm sure FFG realize this. I'm equally sure that Disney don't and entirely uncertain whether Asmodee do.