Blackbird888

Unlimited Power -- Sourcebook for Mystics

9 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

So absol... I was underwhelmed by the new mystic specs, how did you **LIKE** them (asking for an emotional reaction not an analysis although you are free to add that too), I imagine you went gaga over the signature abilities though 

I would agree that I was somewhat underwhelmed as well, unfortunately :/ .  I'm not unhappy, per se, but I was hoping for more.

But yes, those SIGNATURE ABILITIES!!!!  I love them!  I'm also in love with Alter.  She's so amazing!!!!

Prophet looks amazing to me as a great social character with good buffing support in combat, and Alchemist looks quite interesting as a healer and support character as well.

But I agree, my favorite thing out of the book is Alter. I have this concept of a wilderness healer, maybe Pathfinder or Hermit with Alchemist who uses Alter for evasion, stealth, communing with animals to get information, and to boost allies Force power checks. Alchemist is more there for thematoc flavor of a wild shaman-like character crafting crazy medicines imbued with the Force.

For Prophet, I can't wait to try Peacekeeper/Prophet for the ultimate social character with great combat buffing ability, or Aggressor/Prophet to capitalize on Improved Overwhelming Aura and make enemies cower in fear!

21 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

I would agree that I was somewhat underwhelmed as well, unfortunately ? .  I'm not unhappy, per se, but I was hoping for more.

But yes, those SIGNATURE ABILITIES!!!!  I love them!  I'm also in love with Alter.  She's so amazing!!!!

I am ambivalent (have strong mixed feelings) about the protective amulet, 300 credits an easy difficulty to alchemically craft.

The con is it totally hoses my plan to kill the BBEG of the kotor era campaign I'm playing in (voluntarily surrendering myself to the bbeg who has expressed an interest in turning me to the dark side and using a high explosive disguised as a belt buckle to destroy a viewport and suck everyone out into space, but thanks to vacuum seals and the amphibious modifications my character could survive for 5 hours which is hopefully enough time to get rescued).

The plus is a ring that let's you survive in vacuum/under water etc. that my character could craft in his sleep for 300 credits and affix it to my repulsor first to have it blend in... dude I'm totally getting that instead of the amphibious armor attachment.

Me being the honest schmuck that I am, realized that the BBEG would totally have this, so I informed my gm of it and my previously secret plan to kill the bbeg,  because it was narratively appropriate given the newly added rules.

Edited by EliasWindrider
Stupid auto mis-correct

4 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

I am ambivalent (have strong mixed feelings) about the protective amulet, 300 credits an easy difficulty to alchemically craft.

The con is it totally hoses my plan to kill the BBEG of the kotor era campaign I'm playing in (voluntarily surrendering myself to the bbeg who has expressed an interest in turning me to the dark side and using a high explosive disguised as a belt buckle to destroy a viewport and duck everyone out into space, but thanks to vacuum seals and the amphibious modifications my character could survive for 5 hours which is hopefully enough time to get rescued). 

The plus is a ring that let's you survive in vacuum/under water etc. that my character could craft in his sleep for 300 credits and affix it to my repulse first to have it blend in... dude I'm totally getting that instead of the amphibious armor attachment. 

Me being the honest schmuck that I am, realized that the BBEG would totally have this, so I informed my gm of it and my previously secret plan to kill the bbeg,  because it was narratively appropriate given the newly added rules. 

I agree, when I read that description, I expected it to be a Daunting or Formidable difficulty, and quite expensive.  But oh, well.  Come up with a version you think is more balanced and add it to the Grimoire :) !

Edited by Absol197

5 hours ago, Absol197 said:

No new hilts, but some attachments and two new crystals.  Give me a bit to get home from the gym and I'll give you the details. 

... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Any droid, absol? Stats foir dookus ship?

19 hours ago, Eoen said:

Fang Fighter in Dawn of Rebellion

Silhouette: 3
Speed: 6
Handling: +3
Defense: f 1 | a 1
Armor: 2
Hull Trauma: 6
System Strain: 8

Fang Fighter in No Disentegrations

Defense: f 0 | a 0
Hull Trauma: 12
System Strain: 10

So Fang Fighter in Unlimited Power?

Defense: f 1 | a 1
Hull Trauma: 10
System Strain: 10

In moments like this I always wonder why we are even paying them. ^_^

Edited by SEApocalypse

Here is my overall impression of UP:

Specializations

Magus:

Overall I like this specialization. There is alot of utility to be had here, especially when you look beyond the Mystic career.  For instance, a Consular/Healer,Magus would be able to generate massive amounts of FP through Channel agony, and gain back a good portion of the health spent via healing trance. Toss in some Heal/Harm and you have a Darth Nihilus in the making. 

Alchemist

Again, a lot of utility, and sets you up to be a good at crafting alchemy.  Does seem to synergize with Magus really well. Again, I think this class shines best when paired with specializations from other careers that the alchemist rounds out, although it can stand alone as the "healer" of the group, especially when paired with potion crafting.

Prophet

Probably the quintessential face specialization for force users. Overwhelming Aura is a great buff/debuff for use in just about any situation.  It also has both Scathing Tirade and Inspiring Rhetoric to manipulate strain of foes/allies. The real gem of the class is the "Font of Power" ability.  This makes the Prophet a force witch's best friend as it adds additional force points to all force checks.

Signature Abilities

Prophecy

I have mixed feelings about this power.  One one hand, the power gives the PC a great way to help out with forging the story, or introducing potential twists.  On the other hand, I can see the ability quickly being used to derail the plot, as the "event" foretold by the player can be triggered at random during the course of the session.  I'd have to think long and hard before allowing a player to take this one, or house rule that when triggered, the event happens at the nearest possible time

Unmatched Destiny

This ability is a force witch's bread and butter ability.  Trading destiny points to re-roll force dice of their choice can lead to interesting results. I expect to see most combat oriented force weilders to gun for this ability.

Force Powers

Conjure

I am a fan of this power, if only because those that take it are never really disarmed, and the utility of the "simple tool" option can be used in so many different ways.  Although in the core setting people conjuring weapons out of thin air will undoubtedly draw attention from the inquisitors eventually, in other eras it might be more common place and useful. 

This power has more control options than I think any other ability @_@. I am still trying to digest it all, but the power seems to have a lot of utility... if you are planet side, or in an area with the materials the power is allowed to manipulate.  This power will not be able to do much in starships, or areas that are mostly city without a lot of natural environment around them (think upper layers of Coruscant). However, some control upgrades do give different uses that my be used in certain scenarios (looking at the animal senses one and the survival one mostly, along with the corrosive atmosphere one.  The Mastery part of this ability is really good, allowing you to make miniature force wellsprings, so long as you can use the parts of the Alter power that have an AoE.

Edited by TrystramK

Gear

Nothing really stood out to me in general.  Notable exception is the introduction of the Lasat Bo-Rifle (hopefully an indicator of intent to bring Lasat's into the game as a species... ).  I like the transformability of the bo-rifle, and can definitely be a truly utilitarian weapon.  Another item is the Ashla staff, which is interesting not for its combat attributes, but for the strain to Lightside force point conversion. The other weapons seemed more geared towards games run in underdeveloped planets where technologies aren't quite on the same level with the rest of the galaxy. 

Armor was pretty lackluster, a couple "primitive" options that didn't really add much to the fold, other than they seemed to err on the less rare.  Interestingly enough the Sith Pain harness has the most interesting effect that can help out with fear checks and other things that require discipline checks.

Ancient Lore and Consumables had some nifty items that can add flavor to games, and also get away from the Sith/Jedi holocron dependancy.

Lightsaber attachments and crystals were okay.  Don't want to go too deep into the particulars, although.  Overall I think the benefits from the items were either negligible, or potentially outweighed by the negative aspects of the items. They definitely give some variety to already existing options.

Starships/Vehicles - Some nice flavor ships and vehicles. I liked the addition of the "Waterspeeder" for underwater travel.  Nothing seemed too outlandish or nerfed as far as stats go (although I'll be the first to admit I don't deal with space combat often).

Edited by TrystramK

Alchemy

I like this section for the most part.  I think the inclusion of using the force with the craft roll to buy additional effects is nice. I wonder why there isn't a imbue weapon/armor section.  The potions gives some much needed ways for players to make their own healing and buff items.  The only  issue I have has already been mentioned in the low cost of the "environmental effects don't matter" amulet.  To be fair I'd be more prone to either require a bit of research on a type of item, or require them to learn how from another source in order to use the "template" for all talismans.  Can probably make for a decent quest for players too.

Over all I think mechanically, the book was quite satisfying and well designed.  I would have liked to see the Dark Side Player Character section expanded on with perhaps a darkside campaign discussion, but maybe we'll get that in an Era book, or something like that.  

3 hours ago, TrystramK said:

All Alchemy craft rolls seem to be users choice of either Discipline or Knowledge (Lore).

Something else that Knowledge Lore can do is good to see. Getting the option to choose Discipline instead is a bummer though, as it continues to make Knowledge Lore an under-utilized skill that covers almost nothing unique to itself besides "vague knowledge of ancient stuff".

It seems like this is another job for Houserules!

10 hours ago, Nheko said:

Will it be possible to know the difficulty of creating the talismans and potions? Do you do a Knowledge (Lore) roll for them?

Knowledge lore or discipline

Potions

Acid 2 purple, 600 credits

Draught of fire 3 purple  400 credits

Elixir of vigor 3 purple 600 credits

Healing potion 2 purple 1000 credits

Poison 1 purple 500 credits

Potion of Wills 4 purple 1000 credits

Stimulant 2 purple 400 credits

Water of life 5 purple 1000 credits

Weakening potion 3 purple 1000 credits

Talismans

Amulet of power 3 purple 500 credits

Fetish of fear 2 purple 300 credits

Healing accelerant 4 purple 600 credits

Neural charm 4 purple 1200 credits

Protective amulet 1 purple 300 credits

Shield amulet 4 purple 1000 credits

Talisman of fate 3 purple 4000 credits

Token of Resistance 5 purple 1800 credits

8 hours ago, TrystramK said:

Gear

Hide contents

Nothing really stood out to me in general.  Notable exception is the introduction of the Lasat Bo-Rifle (hopefully an indicator of intent to bring Lasat's into the game as a species... ).  I like the transformability of the bo-rifle, and can definitely be a truly utilitarian weapon.  Another item is the Ashla staff, which is interesting not for its combat attributes, but for the strain to Lightside force point conversion. The other weapons seemed more geared towards games run in underdeveloped planets where technologies aren't quite on the same level with the rest of the galaxy. 

Armor was pretty lackluster, a couple "primitive" options that didn't really add much to the fold, other than they seemed to err on the less rare.  Interestingly enough the Sith Pain harness has the most interesting effect that can help out with fear checks and other things that require discipline checks.

Ancient Lore and Consumables had some nifty items that can add flavor to games, and also get away from the Sith/Jedi holocron dependancy.

Lightsaber attachments and crystals were okay.  Don't want to go too deep into the particulars, although.  Overall I think the benefits from the items were either negligible, or potentially outweighed by the negative aspects of the items. They definitely give some variety to already existing options.

Starships/Vehicles - Some nice flavor ships and vehicles. I liked the addition of the "Waterspeeder" for underwater travel.  Nothing seemed too outlandish or nerfed as far as stats go (although I'll be the first to admit I don't deal with space combat often).

The jedi sojourner is awesome, the only thing bad about it was the 20 enc, but thanks to fully operational you can strip of the hull and add a high capacity one to solve that problem.

19 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

So what are the specs/special rules on the sojourner’s meditation rooms and training rooms?

No special rules, it’s likely an empty room free of distraction.

Edited by Eoen

Will it be too much to ask for a brief description of what these do?

Elixir of vigor (athletics, brawl or agility boost?)

Healing potion (wounds I assume?)

Potion of Wills (boost strain? Boost willpower?)

Water of life (?)