Jump to content
Blackbird888

Unlimited Power -- Sourcebook for Mystics

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Simple. Based upon the established pattern, every F&D career is intended to end up with two lightsaber specs. 

What are the two in the Seeker career?  Ataru Striker and...? I get 10,000 bonus points if you say Executioner!

Edited by Absol197

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheShard said:

@Absol197

I'd be perfectly happy with no lightsaber specs... I just really don't want the alchemist to have it.  I want that to be fully committed to bizarre force abominations and other weird shenanigans!

I know.  To Tramp's point, I know there's a high chance that we'll get another lightsaber spec, but I'm being so snippy about it because we have evidence that it's at least possible that we won't.

While all of the "classic Jedi" careers DO have two lightsaber specs (Guardian, Consular, and Sentinel), the only example we currently have for a "non-Jedi" career in fact doesn't.  So, since the Mystic is the second non-Jedi career, I'm really hoping that we'll get a repeat.

But, since the two of us seem to be at odds...I dunno.  I'll hope for the Alchemist, you can hope for the Prophet, and we can both hope that both of us are wrong :D !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

I know.  To Tramp's point, I know there's a high chance that we'll get another lightsaber spec, but I'm being so snippy about it because we have evidence that it's at least possible that we won't.

While all of the "classic Jedi" careers DO have two lightsaber specs (Guardian, Consular, and Sentinel), the only example we currently have for a "non-Jedi" career in fact doesn't.  So, since the Mystic is the second non-Jedi career, I'm really hoping that we'll get a repeat.

But, since the two of us seem to be at odds...I dunno.  I'll hope for the Alchemist, you can hope for the Prophet, and we can both hope that both of us are wrong :D !

I hope that since the pattern is broken by seeker it doesn't set the opposite pattern of no Lightsaber specs in the non classic careers (Warrior, Seeker, Mystic). I would not be happy with no lightsabers, I need the Warrior to feel like the best offensive combatant. I mean War is in his/her name!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shlambate said:

I hope that since the pattern is broken by seeker it doesn't set the opposite pattern of no Lightsaber specs in the non classic careers (Warrior, Seeker, Mystic). I would not be happy with no lightsabers, I need the Warrior to feel like the best offensive combatant. I mean War is in his/her name!

I don't think it will.  I think that we'll have a dearth of lightsabers in the Seeker and Mystic, and a bounty of them (even if that "bounty" is one more full lightsaber spec) in the Warrior. 

But I guess we'll see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

I don't think it will.  I think that we'll have a dearth of lightsabers in the Seeker and Mystic, and a bounty of them (even if that "bounty" is one more full lightsaber spec) in the Warrior. 

But I guess we'll see...

If they ever get those other books off that boat.

Edited by Shlambate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the warrior it is easy to see more lightsaber oriented stuff... However, I do somewhat expect a semblance of the martial artist (maybe Teräs Käsi or something like that).

As for the mystic... not to have an additional lightsaber spec in there would make sense aswell, I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shlambate said:

Of course! Give Warrior all the Lightsabers, please and thank you. 

In other words, Cynthiana is quite doable {all those double bladed sabers, the most she has used in one battle is 3 {six total blades}}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Executioner is a minor departure from the pattern.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not here.  Assuming you're not, though, I'd like to remind you that I agree with you on the whole.  No matter how much I B-and-M about it, it is likely that at least one of the specs will have Lightsaber as a career skill.  However, even though the Executioner might be only a minor departure from the trend, it is a departure, which means additional departures are at least possible, which is what I'm hoping for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Absol197 said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not here.  Assuming you're not, though, I'd like to remind you that I agree with you on the whole.  No matter how much I B-and-M about it, it is likely that at least one of the specs will have Lightsaber as a career skill.  However, even though the Executioner might be only a minor departure from the trend, it is a departure, which means additional departures are at least possible, which is what I'm hoping for!

Not being sarcastic.  Also not trying to get your goat.  I think that alchemist is the spec most likely to have lightsaber stuff.  I also think it is reasonable thematically for mystic to not have a second "Lightsaber spec".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think magus sounds like more of a fighting spec, albeit most likely fighting with the force... but it could have say brawl, melee and / or lightsaber... And +1 force rating...? As in start with fr2 instead of fr1? Now that would be interesting!

That said I'd say alchemist is a little more likey like the armourer in that they are most likely to "play with" or alter / craft lightsabers and the like...

So if there is one it's maybe a toss up over magus and alchemist... I'm leaning a little more to magus but time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jayc007 said:

I would think magus sounds like more of a fighting spec, albeit most likely fighting with the force... but it could have say brawl, melee and / or lightsaber... And +1 force rating...? As in start with fr2 instead of fr1? Now that would be interesting!

That said I'd say alchemist is a little more likey like the armourer in that they are most likely to "play with" or alter / craft lightsabers and the like...

So if there is one it's maybe a toss up over magus and alchemist... I'm leaning a little more to magus but time will tell.

Interesting.  See, to me, the Magus seems like they are 100% Force focused, and even if they are a more combat-y spec, it's combat using space magic and not any form of physical weapon.  Magus seems like the least likely to have Lightsaber, to me.

And while it would be interesting, there's no real way for a specialization to give you a +1 Force rating to start.  Unless it requires it be your starting specialization to get the boost, but that would make that bonus useless to anyone who takes it after CharGen, which incentivizes EVERYONE to start as a Magus, and if you don't you have very little reason to take it later.

My guess is that it'll have 2 ranks of the Force Rating talent.  It's possible one of them might be real early in the tree, too.

 

EDIT:  You see, FFG?  This is what happens when you leave us hanging for 125 days with no information :P !  We bicker about tiny minutiae!  Give us an article!  Nothing major; just let us know the career skills of the three specs, and either the names of the tow Signature Abilities, or the names of the two Force powers, and we'll be good!  Promise!

Edited by Absol197

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

EDIT:  You see, FFG?  This is what happens when you leave us hanging for 125 days with no information :P !  We bicker about tiny minutiae!  Give us an article!  Nothing major; just let us know the career skills of the three specs, and either the names of the tow Signature Abilities, or the names of the two Force powers, and we'll be good!  Promise!

Meanwhile at FFG headquarters: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, rather unrelated to Mysticism, but I just had a flash of...insight?  Maybe?  Or madness; us prophets can never truly tell which is which until they come to pass :P !

But I've been trying to think of possible specializations for the Warrior book.  I feel there's a high chance we'll get a Juyo spec, but what else?  Well, I realized that a lot of what we have (Aggressor especially, and doubly so if we get Juyo) is sort of...Dark-side leaning for the Warrior.  We need a spec that leans strongly towards the light.  We need...the Hero.

I have no idea if this is actually the name of one of the specializations of course, but I was thinking of someone who uses the Force for exceptional bravery, and power (possible repeat of Seize the Initiative?), and likely fights either with low-tech weapons or with their bare hands.  No idea where the idea came from, I just thought it sounded...plausible.

Edited by Absol197

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

I have no idea if this is actually the name of one of the specializations of course, but I was thinking of someone who uses the Force for exceptional bravery, and power (possible repeat of Seize the Initiative?), and likely fights either with low-tech weapons or with their bare hands.  No idea where the idea came from, I just thought it sounded...plausible.

I'm sure people would be ecstatic to see a spec that mixed some of Martial Artist's fun stuff with Force-related goodies. Maybe the "monk"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SavageBob said:

I'm sure people would be ecstatic to see a spec that mixed some of Martial Artist's fun stuff with Force-related goodies. Maybe the "monk"?

That was another thought I had.  I just didn't get as strong a "ping," if you will, with Monk as I did with Hero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Absol197 said:

Interesting.  See, to me, the Magus seems like they are 100% Force focused, and even if they are a more combat-y spec, it's combat using space magic and not any form of physical weapon.  Magus seems like the least likely to have Lightsaber, to me.

And while it would be interesting, there's no real way for a specialization to give you a +1 Force rating to start.  Unless it requires it be your starting specialization to get the boost, but that would make that bonus useless to anyone who takes it after CharGen, which incentivizes EVERYONE to start as a Magus, and if you don't you have very little reason to take it later.

My guess is that it'll have 2 ranks of the Force Rating talent.  It's possible one of them might be real early in the tree, too.

Oh I'm not saying I think it's likey to get a +1 boost... Just that it'd be interesting. As to LS... well... I do think melee(staff) or brawl(iron fist) would be more likely but I'm not sure LS should be discounted entirely from that spec.

I think a few talents that let you roll FR with combat skills copied over and maybe a new one especially for brawl and melee since I don' recall seeing one like that... the closest I can think of is essential kill from executioner which lets you add advantage or triumph to any non gunnery combat check...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jayc007 said:

Oh I'm not saying I think it's likey to get a +1 boost... Just that it'd be interesting. As to LS... well... I do think melee(staff) or brawl(iron fist) would be more likely but I'm not sure LS should be discounted entirely from that spec.

I think a few talents that let you roll FR with combat skills copied over and maybe a new one especially for brawl and melee since I don' recall seeing one like that... the closest I can think of is essential kill from executioner which lets you add advantage or triumph to any non gunnery combat check...

Try the enhance force power

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Absol197 said:

So, rather unrelated to Mysticism, but I just had a flash of...insight?  Maybe?  Or madness; us prophets can never truly tell which is which until they come to pass :P !

But I've been trying to think of possible specializations for the Warrior book.  I feel there's a high chance we'll get a Juyo spec, but what else?  Well, I realized that a lot of what we have (Aggressor especially, and doubly so if we get Juyo) is sort of...Dark-side leaning for the Warrior.  We need a spec that leans strongly towards the light.  We need...the Hero.

I have no idea if this is actually the name of one of the specializations of course, but I was thinking of someone who uses the Force for exceptional bravery, and power (possible repeat of Seize the Initiative?), and likely fights either with low-tech weapons or with their bare hands.  No idea where the idea came from, I just thought it sounded...plausible.

So, the problem I currently have with the Warrior being dark-side leaning is that while Aggressor does lean that way, it doesn't do so in any particularly useful way. I want to love that spec, and I've been tempted to take it several times because it makes sense for my character, but it's just not that good (unless I'm missing something, in which case please do tell, because I genuinely want to use it). The other two specs are decidedly bland (Shii-cho is fine, but it has the least personality of any of the lightsaber specs), or super specialised (Starfighter Ace isn't all that great, even as a pilot spec compared to other options, and is all but useless when it's boots-on-ground instead of rudder pedals).

Now, Aggressor definitely leans dark-side, but the other two are open. I wouldn't be opposed to a little dark-side bent in the new Mystic classes, but I'd similarly love to see something akin to the Aggressor pop up as a new Warrior lightsaber spec. I feel like the Warrior spec should always be a little less light-side compared to, say, the Guardian. Not dark-side per se, but firmly hovering in the grey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...