TheUnsullied

New preview thoughts

36 posts in this topic

I'm curious to see if Balancing/Chaotic/Corrupting Force become staples in their respective affiliations. They look like they could be game-changing at the right moment! 

I think they've made a great effort here to give melee figures the boosts they need to compete, in addition to all the power token stuff that should help everyone.

9 minutes ago, Smashotron said:

I'm curious to see if Balancing/Chaotic/Corrupting Force become staples in their respective affiliations. They look like they could be game-changing at the right moment! 

I think they've made a great effort here to give melee figures the boosts they need to compete, in addition to all the power token stuff that should help everyone.

Yeah they'll be interesting for sure. The Merc one seems expensive for what it gives you unless you are trying to go all in on strain. Actually all of them seem a little on the expensive side especially because they all come down to a dice roll. 

I think that the empires is the strongest, which makes me happy.  I've found that recovering health hasn't even been game changing, but putting damage on enemy figures, especially low figures that could die from it, can be pretty game changing.  

I'm loving the brawler cards and can see several good uses for them, although deathblow is going to be another card to greatly help the junk droid :(

I like the force user cards, especially Dark Energy. Junk Droid falls easily to Ahsoka as there will be no place for it to hide, and she can still possibly get back to safety.

5 minutes ago, RogueLieutenant said:

I can't wait to run Davith and Ahsoka on the same team. Force Spies :D

throw in jarrod and newbacca and you have quite a strike force, for if they take down one of your frontliners or even jax, newbacca goes again!

Edited by MadFuhrer
RogueLieutenant and ryanjamal like this

I am presuming that when Balancing/Chaotic/Corrupting Force says "each player chooses up to 3 figures", the player IS NOT limited to his or her own figures. That makes the most sense based on how each card effect would be applied.

The Balancing/Chaotic/Corrupting Force cards will be super fun to play in a 4-player game!

I really enjoyed the article's explanation of Corrupting Force: "LOOK WHAT YOU CAN DO TO THE REBEL CARE PACKAGE!!!" 

I still think Force Users & melee figures made pre-Jabba's Realm need a more consistent mobility upgrade and/or situational increased defense. Skirmish Upgrade(s) would be nice, but you'll need to limit it from buffing JK Luke and these new figures too much. Limiting the Skirmish Upgrade to Force Users and/or Brawlers/Guardians with a figure cost of 7 or less would help everybody except Bossk, who still just needs thismuch help to be viable again.

I'm honestly surprised by Fool Me Once. We don't see a lot of re-draw in the current meta: Running JK Luke w/ Leia is a fairly expensive list that limits deployment groups. New Han or Newbacca (damnit @MadFuhrer that's catchy) w/ Leia have similar problems w/ costs. Targeting Network & Shared Experience are more less the focus of a Droid list but are bonuses that could be handy if you draw them early. I wonder if we're going to see some sort of Skirmish Upgrade or rule change that uses the discard pile as a resource.

Finally: Jabba's been on a diet lately!

8 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

I'm honestly surprised by Fool Me Once. We don't see a lot of re-draw in the current meta: Running JK Luke w/ Leia is a fairly expensive list that limits deployment groups.

It looks like the type of thing that might just be a pre-emptive measure. Giving players a card that counters strategies that try to abuse re-draw effects is a good way to open up design space for re-draw abilities and command cards in the future.

nickv2002 and Masterchiefspiff like this

22 minutes ago, Stompburger said:

It looks like the type of thing that might just be a pre-emptive measure. Giving players a card that counters strategies that try to abuse re-draw effects is a good way to open up design space for re-draw abilities and command cards in the future.

I can see that with a Leia & Chewie combo, redrawing Debts Repaid early and often could be fun.

ManateeX likes this

I actually really like Ahsoka's card.  I also like the brawler upgrades and the chaos of the three cards affecting both teams.  One advantage the Rebel card has over the Imperial is that you can control when to play it so that it won't help your opponent as much.  I like it.  I also really like all the cards that allow for pushing figures.  That goes a long way to messing with people's plans and space counting, which should create some surprising moments.

Also, lol, when I read Newbacca I thought you meant Drokkata.  I guess I was thinking of my "Han's Got a New Wookiee" list :-)

-ryanjamal

Now this could be fun! 

Character specific command cards- I think Ahsoka's is definitely an auto-include as it's so easy to pull off, and the Emperor's is probably worth is as well especially for maps like Jabba's Palace and Nal Hutta with spread out objectives. Maul's I find underwhelming (it's sort of like Boba Fett's but Boba's is better), especially because he could already be focused so easy with the Rebel Care Package or Jabba. 

Looking for a Fight (already revealed) is definitely an auto include if you're running multiple Brawlers, it's too powerful combined with parting blow (and w/ 2 in your deck there's a good chance you'll get one). Face to face helpers Brawlers (most have Speed 4) get to the fight and guarantee that attack. Sure Gaarkan's attack is weak, but his ability to move 4 and attack in one special action was really powerful.

Deathblow is an auto include if you're running multiple brawlers, basically it's positioning advantage but even better in some cases.use that with a power token and that could be 3 free damage before even rolling.

Chaotic Force I would say only include if you're running Under Duress, since it costs 2 points. But w/ Under Duress, that could be brutal since it could knock out activations or a good portion of an entire command deck before anyone's done anything.  Mercs already have so much stuff to mess w/ command deck drawing, so combine that with the other command cards and the Spy stuff (via the Clawdite, and maybe temp ally in Ahsoka, etc.), they could easily be brutal on killing command decks (and thus strongly limiting Hunter Potential, in particular).

I literally laughed out loud when they suggested you could get an attack out of your EWeb from the Emperor. Yeah I know that would be good for campaign, but for Skirmish...oh its so broken!! Watch out for those 2 speeders and 3 speed Emperor slogging your way...

Prepared for battle is great if you are running Elite leaders (JK Luke, Vader, Han, Ahsoka ,etc). But if you don't have elite leaders (like if Gideon or an Imp Officer is your main leader) I wouldn't bother with it for 2 points.

Dark Energy- if you are running 2 force users, I would include this. I'm thinking Channel the Force is getting more tasty with these new cards...

Corrupting Force- this one seemed the riskiest of the 3 faction specific CCs about rolling dice at the beginning of rounds. Blue dice is unreliable for this, but if you are running the Emperor/Vader with auto damage, you could easily take out Weequays, etc. without even having to actually attack them.  Not sure it it's worth it yet though.

Force Push- you should be running a few Jedi w/ Rebels, and Maul can easily temp ally in one or two. So in that case, I say why not- totally worth it for main circumstances.

Force Jump- definitely best w/ Obi Wan. Especially if you are on that top blue deployment zone on Nal hutta, you could theoretically get to that one objective that is by the impassible terrain. But that's only one scenario. However, the terrain in the middle of Jabba's and Nal Hutta in general  could make this card worth it for now.

Balancing Force- w/ MHD and Heart of Freedom the rebels have many ways to recover health. Against Maul lists this could be great (also, on a side note, Provoke is an old command card that will be fantastic against Maul lists and should see some play). But the chance to let Jedi Luke and Ahsoka and Obi get back precious health is really nice. Not sure on this one though, it's very situational in terms of risk/reward.

Fool Me Once- an auto include for any spy list. good counter to the junk droid redraw sheninagans, and if Leia gets an upgrade then she could become deadly again too, so for 0 cost this could become necessary in many lists.

Just my ramblings!

All cards are interesting, the cards that push figures are really good for helping melee characters and disrupting the opponent, till now is being a really good wave on theory.
Ahsoka's card I think it goes beyond the damage but making the opponent thinking about you have it on your hand or not, it could make a great difference. Palpatine's card doesn't need explanation (BEST NAME)

And gotta love Maul

ryanjamal likes this

6 hours ago, a1bert said:

Dark Energy can be used to move one of your own small figures too.

Yeah at the cost of 1 damage. With this and "tempt" i'm starting to think that palpatine does not love much his guys

1 hour ago, Masterchiefspiff said:

And I'm pretty sure the actual expansion box has 10 cc's and we've only seen 5 - though 2 of the remaining 5 are Drokatta's and Jarrod's. But still potential for some more fun cards!

Yeahh it seems like we will have a nice 3 point brawler card... or force user perhaps. Well, my thoughts are in brawler 3.

ryanjamal likes this

Actually, I don't understand the hype for Balancing/Chaotic/Corrupting Force. They each cost TWO points for giving you as much of a bonus as to your opponent.

The Corrupting Force's blue die might even give you 0 damage for those 2 points.

Chaotic Force could be interesting, IF you are playing a strain list including Under Duress anyways. That way, you hurt your opponent more than yourself. But I actually haven't seen Under Duress that often lately. And again, the Chaotic Force's green die might even give you 0 strain for those 2 points.

Balancing Force could be interesting, if you have more damaged figures than your opponent, but that's quite situational. And if I had to choose to spend 2 points for either a very situational Balancing Force or e.g. Comm Disruption, I know it wouldn't be Balancing Force.

"Meanwhile, if Emperor Palpatine is heading an army with a limited number of powerful figures, Corrupting Force  can help even the odds against lists that hope to swarm you with a horde of weaker figures. A point or two of damage won't break a character like Darth Vader, ..."

Really? Especially for a character, that has such a high defense as Vader, I'm thankful for every single point of damage I can deal to him. And who says, that the opponent chooses Vader and not an Officer to take the Damage ...

Edited by DerBaer
nickv2002 and TheUnsullied like this

All other cards are just great. There is nothing like Assassinate, but they are on par with the Jabba's Realm cards...

Edited by DerBaer

6 hours ago, DerBaer said:

Actually, I don't understand the hype for Balancing/Chaotic/Corrupting Force. They each cost TWO points for giving you as much of a bonus as to your opponent.

The Corrupting Force's blue die might even give you 0 damage for those 2 points.

Chaotic Force could be interesting, IF you are playing a strain list including Under Duress anyways. That way, you hurt your opponent more than yourself. But I actually haven't seen Under Duress that often lately. And again, the Chaotic Force's blue die might even give you 0 strain for those 2 points.

Balancing Force could be interesting, if you have more damaged figures than your opponent, but that's quite situational. And if I had to choose to spend 2 points for either a very situational Balancing Force or e.g. Comm Disruption, I know it wouldn't be Balancing Force.

"Meanwhile, if Emperor Palpatine is heading an army with a limited number of powerful figures, Corrupting Force  can help even the odds against lists that hope to swarm you with a horde of weaker figures. A point or two of damage won't break a character like Darth Vader, ..."

Really? Especially for a character, that has such a high defense as Vader, I'm thankful for every single point of damage I can deal to him. And who says, that the opponent chooses Vader and not an Officer to take the Damage ...

Agreed. Those cards will see little to no play imo. 

So you pick which of your figures take the damge or which of the opponents figures take damage with this trio of cards (Balancing/Corrupting/Chaotic Force)?

Can the emperor use his Emperor ability on figures in the opponents' list, or is this like Jabba's Ordered Hit where you don't control the other figure?