Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Memorare

I am Loyal

39 posts in this topic

I'd like to see the Shadowlands as playable... just no as another faction in the regular game.

I don't know if somebody here played the WoW TCG (before Hearhtstone), but there was this thing called "Raid Decks". In those, a group of 4-5 players teamed up against another player playing as the different bosses from a dungeon. Every boss had different playing mechanics (some have a lot of minions, some have a time count, some you need to damage them in specific ways...) and you need to work in group to defeat them. Granted, WoW was very fitting for that gameplay style because there are specific roles for each player (DPS, tank, healer...), but I'd like to see something similar in L5R.

An "Invasion Deck" where a player controls a HUGE army from the Shadowlands and maybe 4 players from different clans trying to stop it. The Shadowlands attacks will be divided in waves, each one with different mechanics/victory conditions. First one will be infiltration, second one raiding for resources, etc... And every wave will affect the next one depending on who wins, giving advantages/perks to the winning side (and maybe individual rewards for players, to incentivate a little bit the competivity amongst the samurai players). Until you end in the Big Final Decisive Battle. Either the Shadowlands win, or the Clans win, and some of them win influence/resources within the Empire depending on their role in the war.

Something like that. Heck, if they don't do it, I'll do it homebrew.

Edited by Tabris2k
Grammar
LordBlunt and Malraza like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tabris2k said:

I'd like to see the Shadowlands as playable... just no as another faction in the regular game.

I don't know if somebody here played the WoW TCG (before Hearhtstone), but there was this thing called "Raid Decks". In those, a group of 4-5 players teamed up against another player playing as the different bosses from a dungeon. Every boss had different playing mechanics (some have a lot of minions, some have a time count, some you need to damage them in specific ways...) and you need to work in group to defeat them. Granted, WoW was very fitting for that gameplay style because there are specific roles for each player (DPS, tank, healer...), but I'd like to see something similar in L5R.

An "Invasion Deck" where a player controls a HUGE army from the Shadowlands and maybe 4 players from different clans trying to stop it. The Shadowlands attacks will be divided in waves, each one with different mechanics/victory conditions. First one will be infiltration, second one raiding for resources, etc... And every wave will affect the next one depending on who wins, giving advantages/perks to the winning side (and maybe individual rewards for players, to incentivate a little bit the competivity amongst the samurai players). Until you end in the Big Final Decisive Battle. Either the Shadowlands win, or the Clans win, and some of them win influence/resources within the Empire depending on their role in the war.

Something like that. Heck, if they don't do it, I'll do it homebrew.

Seige heart of darkness and seige clan war served this purpose in o5r

Yogo Gohei and kempy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't... In fact I'm out if that occur. Is a great game and lore with many histories between the clans, Shadowslands must be the common enemy, nothing more. Plus, the honor mecanism don't have sense with Shadowlands, this was a problem in the old L5R, when all the dishonored decks become useless (aka Scorpion).

Edited by Arcendo A
Dreilide, Toxium and feydruatha like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

...

Something like that. Heck, if they don't do it, I'll do it homebrew.

You can certainly home-brew it. Sure.

Infact, I would happily play with/against you if some form of rules were committed to paper.

 

What you are describing with your Invasion Deck sorta thing sounds too complicated though. I don't see how that would be doable from what we have access to now. (meaning the 7 Clans, the mechanics of Honor loss/gain, etc) Having said this, heck, give it a shot! I for one would give it a fair shake!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Memorare said:

To Fu Leng. 
Victory to the Dark Kami!

Please, oh please, let there be a Shadowlands deck in our future. 

Someone else on this forum mentioned this....

Fu Leng takes control of the Imperial Family.
His goal is to weaken Imperial authority and increase conflict among the clans.
This gets the support of the Perfect Land sect, which the "Spider" draws its recruits.
Rokugan is weakened and in chaos - Shadowlands march in.

 

In other words - playing imperials is playing spider.

LordBlunt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mechanics don't have to change. Fu Leng can't let on he has control of the imperial family. The family has to destroy the fabric of Rokugan behind the scenes while they continue to act as nothing is going on.

To make matters more convoluted, the Spider actually do help peasants. Where the spider help the downtrodden, but are allied with the shadow lands, the Great Clans will trample on the peasants while being uncorrupted by taint. Who is right? Does Fu Leng want to turn everyone into mindless zombies, or just use the Shadownlands to enforce his will over the land? A forced peace and equality for all!

Edited by Shu2jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Shadowlands comes back, and really... only a fool would think otherwise, I'm sure they will be implemented in a really interesting way. With a new game they can radically change up the faction to make it far more enjoyable, like they have done with other aspects of the game already.

If they can turn Crane into an political mirror of lion aggression, turn Phoenix into a complete glory based control deck, turn dragon into a voltron economy deck, and scorpion into the card advantage deck... all of these drastically different to their original and traditional themes and concepts, then I have 0 doubt that whenever they decide to make shadow lands relevant they will make them have a unique and interesting mechanic.

Anyone trying to say "this wont work with ____ mechanic" or "the flavor wont fit in the game" are simply underestimating the sheer amount of design space this game has, and are poo-pooing  the talents of the design team after they completely redesigned and balanced a new game in 2 years... and we have only seen ONE SET, as if they can make any judgment on the nature of the game with so little to go off of.:lol:

 

7 minutes ago, Shu2jack said:

In other words - playing imperials is playing spider.

It always was this way. ^_^

#HailTheHanteiAndDaigotsuWhoWasTheirHeir

 

Edited by TheItsyBitsySpider
LordBlunt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tokhuah said:

I look forward to exploring the Shadowlands from a Phoenix perspective.

That's how it always starts......and then 20 years later you look up from that Black Scroll you were "studying" only to find that Rokugan is being ruled by some roided out Kylo Ren wannabe that likes to "snap people like twigs" and the Shadowlands has won.......

So yeah I'm cool with that.  Would you like a guide to help with this "exploration?"

:P 

Edited by Ishi Tonu
LordBlunt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as I can bring my good friend Isawa Tsuke along. He is such a gentle soul, someone who would never turn against his own...

Yep, I can see what's coming but still can't help it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be really interesting to see corrupted roles, or something similar. Like say your clan is keeper of Earth. You can pick either the normal version, or the corrupt version that lets you take shadowlands cards (or maybe anyone can take them, but a corrupt role ignores penalties). A playable faction could be interesting, and I'd be very curious how it worked. That sounds more appealing to me than bringing the Spider back. I just hope they keep the number of factions in check. More than 9 (7 + 2 rumored new ones) would mean there's only room for 1 new card for each faction in the dynasty packs (or that the packs are uneven for the factions).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22.09.2017 at 2:41 PM, Arcendo A said:

Please don't... In fact I'm out if that occur. Is a great game and lore with many histories between the clans, Shadowslands must be the common enemy, nothing more. Plus, the honor mecanism don't have sense with Shadowlands, this was a problem in the old L5R, when all the dishonored decks become useless (aka Scorpion).

Yes, that wasn't smart idea. Thankfully last Stronghold immune to dishonor was printed in 2007 as Unaligned one without perspective to be competetive. 

Edited by kempy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love for them to put out an expansion, around an incursion from Shadowlands. I would invision this as a cooperative/competitive style like pandemic or arkham horror, where we either all lose or one of us wins. Could be a larger box like terminal directive for netrunner. Would be awesome if it scaled in difficulty based on nbe of players.

cheapmate likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 5:41 AM, Arcendo A said:

 Plus, the honor mecanism don't have sense with Shadowlands

That is only true when they are full military barbarian horde they were in oL5R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically the immunity to dishonor originated with the first Scorpion Clan Stronghold.

As with most things that go wrong in Rokugan..........the Scorpion seem to be involved.  I kind of get the feeling that they are up to something.....

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just a brainstorm, perhaps only a light squall, but the Shadowlands could be designed to  not lose from honor but have it instead tied to their fate somehow.  Then "dishonor" would play out like withering away due to lack of resources (foothold).  They could still be destroyed using the Crab method of course.

LordBlunt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tokhuah said:

This is just a brainstorm, perhaps only a light squall, but the Shadowlands could be designed to  not lose from honor but have it instead tied to their fate somehow.  Then "dishonor" would play out like withering away due to lack of resources (foothold).  They could still be destroyed using the Crab method of course.

Interesting. So maybe something along the lines of, for each negative point of honor Shadowlands would accumulate, they would instead have fate generation reduced by 1? So for example with current stronghold values, they would have 0 fate each round once they reach "-7 honor". For balance though, I think that would require a starting honor around 3-4. And their opponent would of course still have the option to win by honor. Maybe even have the opponent gain 2 honor for each honor they would steal from the Shadowlands player, when the Shadowlands player has no honor tokens left... or just +1 honor to account for things like draw bid and dueling bid. 

LordBlunt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

 

As with most things that go wrong in Rokugan..........the Scorpion seem to be involved.  I kind of get the feeling that they are up to something.....

Aren't we all involved with an issue when things go wrong? We can hardly blame the Scorpion for trying to fix an issue before it becomes a larger problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 10:10 AM, Shu2jack said:

To make matters more convoluted, the Spider actually do help peasants. Where the spider help the downtrodden, but are allied with the shadow lands, the Great Clans will trample on the peasants while being uncorrupted by taint. Who is right? Does Fu Leng want to turn everyone into mindless zombies, or just use the Shadownlands to enforce his will over the land? A forced peace and equality for all!

And while all this unfolds, the Unicorn Clan, who make it their core philosophy to not trample on the peasants, emerge as the only faction to whom the other clans can turn in seeking aid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

And while all this unfolds, the Unicorn Clan, who make it their core philosophy to not trample on the peasants, emerge as the only faction to whom the other clans can turn in seeking aid!

Which lead the other clans to  believing the Unicorn are in cohorts with spider. Both are dealt with.

Mantis finally joins L5R as a great clan in replacement. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shu2jack said:

Captive audience always looked a bit dark side to me.....

Well, they say the courts are every bit as deadly as the battlefield. So if that's the case, it's only common sense that the bushi will bring their strongest talents to court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0