Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShadowFox1138

At last...He is coming...the Legend...the Chiss....THRAWN!

74 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ironlord said:

And, similarly, in the newcanon, Hobbie has a different final fate, as well - On The Front Lines makes it clear that he died at Hoth.

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame :( He was a decent character.

Formynder4, Aldaros and geek19 like this

6 hours ago, Ironlord said:

And, similarly, in the newcanon, Hobbie has a different final fate, as well - On The Front Lines makes it clear that he died at Hoth.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

13 hours ago, geek19 said:

Hobbie was on Hoth, and according to the old canon (pushes up Harry Potter style glasses) he survived for years after.  If you want to get into it (pushes up glasses again), Wedge never was in the Imperial academy.  Biggs was, and he got his entire class to defect with him, but Wedge was flying for the Rebellion early, after his parents died (adjusts pocket protector).  In fact, Hobbie, Janson, Tycho, and Corran all joined up post-Yavin (Corran post Endor, but Tycho can be seen in Jedi as the A-wing pilot who doesn't die/escapes the Death Star).  The only other pilot who was at the first Death Star (sucks on inhaler) was Keyan Farlander in that lone remaining Y-wing.  I mean, technically Dutch was there too, but you know.... "lost Tyree, lost Dutch......"

This has been "Information you didn't care to know but I wanted to tell it anyway!"

Actually, Hobbie was with Biggs at the Academy, they were both trained at some point by Soontir Fel (likewise Tycho, I believe). Biggs and Hobbie, to some extent, defected together and were both part of Red Squadron at the time of Yavin, Hobbie was out of commission with an illness though. Janson was also part of the Rebellion at that point, but he was flying with the Tierfon Yellow Aces and only later on joined the big cell (as seen in ESB, where he's Wedge's tail-gunner on Hoth). Tycho joins the Rebellion briefly after Yavin, or rather after the destruction of Alderaan. As an Alderaanian himself, you could see how the destruction of his home planet wouldn't have sat well with him (particularly because he was on a call with his family at the time and thought the sudden drop of connection was just a technical issue . . . ).

And why would they kill Hobbie . . . why ?!? 

23 minutes ago, DadiBG said:

And why would they kill Hobbie . . . why ?!? 

It has to do with, I think, a desire to recanonize deleted scenes wherever possible. There was a deleted scene of Hobbie crashing his ship into an AT-AT - so Hobbie is now dead.

Legends resolved the same deleted scene by having Hobbie eject seconds before impact.

A similar principle applies to a deleted scene of Anakin stabbing Shaak Ti in the Jedi Temple - Legends ignored that scene and pushed her death all the way up to shortly before ANH, in The Force Unleashed. Newcanon stuck with the deleted scene - so she's dead in Newcanon.

Edited by Ironlord

1 hour ago, Ironlord said:

It has to do with, I think, a desire to recanonize deleted scenes wherever possible. There was a deleted scene of Hobbie crashing his ship into an AT-AT - so Hobbie is now dead.

Legends resolved the same deleted scene by having Hobbie eject seconds before impact.

A similar principle applies to a deleted scene of Anakin stabbing Shaak Ti in the Jedi Temple - Legends ignored that scene and pushed her death all the way up to shortly before ANH, in The Force Unleashed. Newcanon stuck with the deleted scene - so she's dead in Newcanon.

But another deleted scene has Grievous kill her - so did she die twice?

I guess they just take the latest chronological scene?

So is there a second Commander coming with Thrawn in this pack? There seems to be the back of a Commander card next to Thrawn in the card fan.

34 minutes ago, redxavier said:

So is there a second Commander coming with Thrawn in this pack? There seems to be the back of a Commander card next to Thrawn in the card fan.

Those who know, shan't tell, and those who don't, can but speculate. I do however, think that it may be a mistake, as 2 commanders would 1) be unprecedented 2) give the Imps 1 more than the Rebs (unless the '75 also came with two admirals, which wasn't in the spread we saw from the Spanish article).

On 22/09/2017 at 4:31 AM, JJs Juggernaut said:

He is the most amazing, well designed admiral to ever exist in Armada. He is in fact Perfect in every facet. Whoever designed that card is the savior of Armada!

@Undeadguy, Did you read this the same way as me?

On 9/22/2017 at 7:54 PM, geek19 said:

Hobbie was on Hoth, and according to the old canon (pushes up Harry Potter style glasses) he survived for years after.  If you want to get into it (pushes up glasses again), Wedge never was in the Imperial academy.  Biggs was, and he got his entire class to defect with him, but Wedge was flying for the Rebellion early, after his parents died (adjusts pocket protector).  In fact, Hobbie, Janson, Tycho, and Corran all joined up post-Yavin (Corran post Endor, but Tycho can be seen in Jedi as the A-wing pilot who doesn't die/escapes the Death Star).  The only other pilot who was at the first Death Star (sucks on inhaler) was Keyan Farlander in that lone remaining Y-wing.  I mean, technically Dutch was there too, but you know.... "lost Tyree, lost Dutch......"

This has been "Information you didn't care to know but I wanted to tell it anyway!"

Well done sir, that was very informative. Subconsciously i think i knew his name was "Hobbie". I like star wars but (Gasp) I'm more of a Trekkie, but i enjoy both and LOVE armada. 

Having said all that I'm picking up SW audio books to listen to once i finish the expanse(on the latest book now). I've read the Heir to the Empire series, Thrawn, and it looks like the aftermath series will be next. I hope it's not as bad as people have warned me though. 

1 hour ago, dominosfleet said:

Well done sir, that was very informative. Subconsciously i think i knew his name was "Hobbie". I like star wars but (Gasp) I'm more of a Trekkie, but i enjoy both and LOVE armada. 

Having said all that I'm picking up SW audio books to listen to once i finish the expanse(on the latest book now). I've read the Heir to the Empire series, Thrawn, and it looks like the aftermath series will be next. I hope it's not as bad as people have warned me though. 

Of course, as stated, its been Retconned now a little in the New canon.

Wedge and Hobbie are taken off the Skystrike Academy by Phoenix Squadron, and fly with them for a period of time, Pre-Yavin, of course.

"Gold Leader" also features in a Y-Wing, but I'd have to rewatch the episode to see if he's named at all.

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

Of course, as stated, its been Retconned now a little in the New canon.

Wedge and Hobbie are taken off the Skystrike Academy by Phoenix Squadron, and fly with them for a period of time, Pre-Yavin, of course.

"Gold Leader" also features in a Y-Wing, but I'd have to rewatch the episode to see if he's named at all.

It's Dutch, I just watched it last week.

2 minutes ago, geek19 said:

It's Dutch, I just watched it last week.

I thought he was, but I couldn't trust my sleep-deprived brain.

My Kiddo started rewatching the whole lot last weekend...  We're up to the close of Season 2 right now (Twilight of the Apprentice Pt I) so we won't see that episode until tomorrow or wednesday with the rate he goes through them daily.

Edited by Drasnighta
GiledPallaeon likes this

8 hours ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Those who know, shan't tell, and those who don't, can but speculate. I do however, think that it may be a mistake, as 2 commanders would 1) be unprecedented 2) give the Imps 1 more than the Rebs (unless the '75 also came with two admirals, which wasn't in the spread we saw from the Spanish article).

There's also 1 too many cards in the spread vs the number stated in the article so for any of the cards that could be the mistake that would be the one that would make the most sense. 

25 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I thought he was, but I couldn't trust my sleep-deprived brain.

My Kiddo started rewatching the whole lot last weekend...  We're up to the close of Season 2 right now (Twilight of the Apprentice Pt I) so we won't see that episode until tomorrow or wednesday with the rate he goes through them daily.

im only watching them on DVD.  I was very pleasantly surprised at how "adult" season 3 was.  Like, season 1 Ezra has a slingshot that he hits stormtroopers with.  Season 3 he forces a walker droid to walk off a cliff to his death. Yow.

1 hour ago, geek19 said:

im only watching them on DVD.  I was very pleasantly surprised at how "adult" season 3 was.  Like, season 1 Ezra has a slingshot that he hits stormtroopers with.  Season 3 he forces a walker droid to walk off a cliff to his death. Yow.

I'll admit, season 1's tone really turned me off, but the bits and pieces of S2 and S3 I've seen have led me to believe I should get around to viewing it (at some point). It does have one of my favorite music cues going for it.

Edited by GiledPallaeon
Added link

12 hours ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Maybe it's a new version of Tarkin with a lower cost?  I originally thought a variant of Garm Bel Iblis, but that doesn't make sense in an Imperial set, and he's Legends, too.  Although Thrawn and Garm would have gone together nicely in Legends.

6 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

For what it's worth, Hobbie also died in the old Empire Strikes Back radio drama; the AT-AT he rams is actually that of General Veers.

4 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

There's also 1 too many cards in the spread vs the number stated in the article so for any of the cards that could be the mistake that would be the one that would make the most sense. 

No there isn't. There are 18 cards in the spread, and it says aside from Thrawn, there are 17 other upgrade cards.

10 minutes ago, Aldaros said:

Maybe it's a new version of Tarkin with a lower cost?  I originally thought a variant of Garm Bel Iblis, but that doesn't make sense in an Imperial set, and he's Legends, too.  Although Thrawn and Garm would have gone together nicely in Legends.

Yeah I really doubt it's any Rebel character. It could be a repackaged Tarkin, and that would be nice, but I also think it unlikely, as they haven't even errata'd him yet.

7 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

I'll admit, season 1's tone really turned me off, but the bits and pieces of S2 and S3 I've seen have led me to believe I should get around to viewing it (at some point). It does have one of my favorite music cues going for it.

The first season is definitely a slog but after that it becomes well worth watching. It's not as good as the Clone Wars but it's still pretty good.

GiledPallaeon likes this