Fuzzywookie

Sad times for X-Wing

Depends on where you live - where I am, there’s still a few people playing X-Wing, and I feel like Destiny is the game that’s dying. 

I feel your pain though, Fuzzy. This was the main reason I got into this game - enough people play this game that I can go to a game night and play with somebody other than my brother (my brother’s awesome, but it’s nice to have more people to play against)... now Destiny has gone back to something I can only play with my brother and a few friends, and X-Wing is slowly shrinking - only four of us last week.

15 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I played with 280+ people only last weekend.  Lost more games than I won, so what?  Great times.

Hope you used protection.

this isn’t the first thread about players leaving.  Can’t blame them, Empire is getting FAQed pretty hard.  What’s SW without TIEs?  (Rebel TIEs don’t count)

Don't fret. It's been like that at my LGS most of the summer. The interest in SW ebbs and flows with the movie releases it seems. Also, it would help if there were actual X-wings in play--not your fault, it's my little dig at FFG.

Have you tried alternate game formats? (Mario Kart, Missions, Epic?) For us, having the  same 4 or so people show up to play, it made it a little easier to broach the subject. (Which for some reason or other seemed verboten in our circle, although it clearly wasn't due to the excitement shown when I brought out my X-wing/Mario Kart stuff.) 

And when a rando came into the shop, they'd come over to watch. Maybe it didn't translate into an immediate convert into an X-wing player, but at least it might be part of conversation down the line that influences someone to come check it out and play the game.

Edited by Force Majeure

Juding by what's lately been ending up in the discount section of my LGS it's prety much star wars arcross the board: X-wing, Armada and ImpAss. oh, and Runewars (that was straight up DOA at my store, hey, if everybody is already playing either warmahordes or GW stuff...) Destiny sadly also seems to be on the wane. I'm starting to wonder if people are getting burned out by Star Wars...

Edited by Robin Graves

@heychadwick

Is it the 7 year itch? Is the honeymoon over? Maybe this would make for a topic of conversation on the Shuttle Tydirium. I'm not moaning about the game, but rather, is this part of the life-cycle of tabletop games? Is there a point where they will lose their luster despite of, or in spite of expansions and other new shiny things being dangled in front of us every few weeks/months? Does X-wing have the legs to last?

Edited by Force Majeure

41 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

@heychadwick

Is it the 7 year itch? Is the honeymoon over? Maybe this would make for a topic of conversation on the Shuttle Tydirium. I'm not moaning about the game, but rather, is this part of the life-cycle of tabletop games? Is there a point where they will lose their luster despite of, or in spite of expansions and other new shiny things being dangled in front of us every few weeks/months? Does X-wing have the legs to last?

I don't know.  I guess something would have to change to make it more interesting.  I can't say that I'm really done with the game.  I'm too invested in it.

I don't really want to bring it up on the podcast as it might be too negative.   

20 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I don't know.  I guess something would have to change to make it more interesting.  I can't say that I'm really done with the game.  I'm too invested in it.

I don't really want to bring it up on the podcast as it might be too negative.   

Haven't see you out here since GenCon.  I was beginning to wonder if it was the final hurrah. . .

I think my interest in the game would stay much higher if I didn't spend so much time on these boards.  It makes me depressed and not in love with the game.  Then I get in a night of XWM with my bro, and I'm all juiced up again.  But. . .we don't play meta, we don't play 100/6, and always try to add a quirk to the game to see what happens.

I have to admit I'm jealous of guys like @Refugeanoth who seem to have some sorta of booming, roleplaying-style, ongoing campaign-type event with tons of creativity.  This is one place where XWM fails to meet games like MtG: there are not enough moving parts to support playing 100/6 ad nauseam, and no official support for a game that is bigger than the sum of its parts.

Sadly, it feels like a game for gamers, and not a game for Star Wars fans.  I'm both, but I got into this game because it was Star Wars.

...Yes, I am a player who has come back to the game for the Assault Gunboat.

Left because of scum and seeing the Imperial future of very lackluster designs. At last Gunboat and Silencer look like fighter craft I want to fly, so I'm back to playing casually and collecting again. Maybe someday I'll step up into compeititve once more.

At least, until the next Armada wave is announced.

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Haven't see you out here since GenCon.  I was beginning to wonder if it was the final hurrah. . .

Yeah, new job won't let me hit the forums, but the few times I can peak, I don't see much worth coming back for.  

I'm still into the game, but I'm just much less enthused by it.

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I think my interest in the game would stay much higher if I didn't spend so much time on these boards.  It makes me depressed and not in love with the game.  Then I get in a night of XWM with my bro, and I'm all juiced up again.  But. . .we don't play meta, we don't play 100/6, and always try to add a quirk to the game to see what happens.

I have to admit I'm jealous of guys like @Refugeanoth who seem to have some sorta of booming, roleplaying-style, ongoing campaign-type event with tons of creativity.  This is one place where XWM fails to meet games like MtG: there are not enough moving parts to support playing 100/6 ad nauseam, and no official support for a game that is bigger than the sum of its parts.

Sadly, it feels like a game for gamers, and not a game for Star Wars fans.  I'm both, but I got into this game because it was Star Wars.

Dude! All it takes is the willingness to sit down and innovate the game into what you want it to be! The system is excellent and it allows you to get your ships onto the table and fly them around against other people! Everything is within the realm of possibility if you reach out and take it for yourself and make it into something better. (sorry if I sound like a motivational poster) 

9 minutes ago, Refugeanoth said:

(sorry if I sound like a motivational poster) 

Nah, it's cool.  I guess the real part I lack is "booming."  It's just me and my brother.  And a lot of times he cancels on me cuz Life.

OTOH, he got a bunch of guys interested at GenCon.  They want to play a bunch of 100/6 to learn the game.  Then, hopefully, I can show them what real XWM is all about :lol: