Cubanboy

HAPPY SUPER FRIDAY of SUPER FRIDAYS

48 posts in this topic

Happy (almost) Friday!

I agree with @CaribbeanNinja. More objectives would probably be my 1st suggestion. The 2nd would probably be Wave 8. I guess I just am not excited for another ISD yet (although the cards do seem fun).

15 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Happy Friday!

Moar Objectives! :)

I can get behind this.

The one thing that really bothers me about the game engine--and I don't know the fix for it--is that dropping into a trailing position on your adversary is actually extremely hard to exploit well. Say I drop a raider into an MC80's rear arc at close range. Fantastic positioning, right?

Nope. If the raider goes first, yeah you get your shot, but then you either ram or end up in a side arc, and poorly positioned for trailing next turn to boot. If the 80 goes first, you don't get the shot at all.

It's not that big a deal, so I don't make a big stink about it, but I do feel like you should be rewarded rather than punished for outflanking your adversary that badly. But like I said, I don't know the solution to that, short of some inelegant edge-case rules, like front -> rear shots always being treated as -1 range or something.

ryanabt, Alzer and Villakarvarousku like this

More task force esqe titles, but not for specific types of ship just applicable to a faction (maybe som generics that both sides can use like a patroll fleet, or raiding party) it would be real neat to way to increase fleet synergy and add additional spice.

cynanbloodbane and TheToad like this

14 minutes ago, Stasy said:

Happy (almost) Friday!

I agree with @CaribbeanNinja. More objectives would probably be my 1st suggestion. The 2nd would probably be Wave 8. I guess I just am not excited for another ISD yet (although the cards do seem fun)

Doood! Profundity!

themightyhedgehog and Stasy like this

32 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

How about "Official" 3D Obstacle Models?

I would pay...handsomely for those.

Oh....I change my answer.  I should read everyone else's posts first

I thought that I would most like an annual campaign box that includes new objectives, new ship titles, semi-unique squads, or new ship cards (this is less likely with the Wave 7 ISD repackage). However, Ardaedhal's problem is a good point. It is annoying to get into position behind someone and then see them get away because they move before you shoot or because to shoot them first means you move into a position of death.

The game needs to abstract squadrons better so that squadrons do not have to function as miniature ships with fewer movement restrictions.  Squadrons have as many steps to activate as ships (excepting command dials), which means they can either be a few seconds on a low-impact turn (running towards the station to heal up on turn 6 or moving directly towards the enemy ship when they have no enemy squadrons to worry about) or take exceptional amounts of time on a game-critical turn (8 squadrons facing off against each other moving and shooting into a fight to the death with overlapping offensive and defensive abilities on both sides).

Squadrons are the number one means by which the game slows down and by which games don't complete on time.  I have never had a game without squadrons go to time, but I've had plenty of games where only one player had squadrons and the game went to time without any perceptible slow play.

Edited by thecactusman17
Xeletor likes this

Lol. You asked the question. The taboo question for whiners. =)

Okay, honestly, the game is pretty fun right now. 

However, if we were to take the current game and do small tweaks heres what I think would make it better: 
1. Increase possible interaction between squadrons and ships, AA flak for instance. More utility, less min-max damage efficiency. (Strategic -> good. Min maxing damage, AA, lack of interactivity between squadrons and ships, baaaaaaad.)
2. Edit the objectives to be more engaging/rewarding, more viable choices, and more story driven. (And easier to read). 
3. Reduce the impact of activations, namely reduce the need to push damage all in one huge package of a single activation. 
4. Give the Interdictor, AFmk2 and the Arkittens more viable variations. 
5. Make the darn distances and ranges more logical and less random and non-matching. (Like really, does dist 3 really have to be 1mm shorter than close-med? Really?)

bonus: make obstacles damage squadrons upon moving onto one (not from being replaced by overlap though). I think this would make squadron positioning a lot more engaging.

Unrealistic giant overhauls and future additions: 
 - Add the Republic Venators 1 2, CIS ships, SSD, the Finalizer - all movie ships
 - Totally remove the stupid chess-like turn-based game play of activations. 
 - Completely overhaul objectives to be more story based and more engaging. 
 - Somehow increase the feeling of list sizes to 500 ish, yet make the game shorter averaging 1 hour, with tourney round = 1.5 hrs. 
 - Add more campaign and alternate play.
 - Add zones of control, fighter missions and other criterion that serve to spread the game out, de-focus fire, de-focus map blobbing, increase decision making and map usage.  

Do these look like things you want? 

Edited by Blail Blerg

Happy Friday Cubanboy!

Not so much a change as an addition. I'd really like to see actual models and rules for the various space stations in Star Wars.

Perhaps make them duel faction and purchasable as part of a fleet. Alternatively make them neutral, with the scenario or mission determining who owns it or its effect on the game.

I really want model space stations.

GrandAdmiralCrunch and TheToad like this

Happy Friday!

I would like star wars:legion's activation mechanic. It has cards for each commander. And the advantage of first player is won in a mini-game of picking the card face down each turn.

Of course we need new objectives then. Legion has objectives too so it should be doable.

They could make a box like CC, I would buy it.

I'd like to see less ships and more upgrades and campaign boxes.  I don't feel like I'm missing anything at the moment so having some time to play campaigns with all my stuff would be nice.

Ghost Mouse likes this

2 hours ago, Ghost Mouse said:

Happy Friday Cubanboy!

Not so much a change as an addition. I'd really like to see actual models and rules for the various space stations in Star Wars.

Perhaps make them duel faction and purchasable as part of a fleet. Alternatively make them neutral, with the scenario or mission determining who owns it or its effect on the game.

I really want model space stations.

I too would love these, in addition to models for freighters, civilian ships, and various neutrals. I am making a pitch to my family to band together and buy me a huge pile of Mel Minis and have them painted via commission. I just take too long and never finish any of my own painting projects.

Happy Friday! I'm so glad it's Friday...

I only just ordered Corellian Conflict, but already I'm hoping for more campaigns. I like the idea of them, might develop my own. But the thematic play and persistent fleets/damage interests me 😁

Happy Friday!

I'd like to see a fully revamped Armada Version 2.0 rulebook that includes all the lessons learned thus far.

They could even release it in a new set of starter boxes (Imp/Reb).

Edited by Democratus
axe238 and CaribbeanNinja like this