Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jobu

Investigator types I want to see

2 posts in this topic

So I have been thinking of what I would like to see as far as investigators go for the next release.  Thematic concerns would be paramount, but outside of that.....

Guardian:  I would like to see one of two things that are kind of mutually exclusive.  First off, I would like to see a Guardian that downplays the "Kill them all" aspect and uplays the "Help them out" aspect.  I don't know who this should be, maybe Vincent Lee?  Not sure who else it would be.  The second would be a Guardian with a Mystic secondary class.  I think it would be interesting to see how they put that together.

Seekers:  I would like to see one that is more focused on the moving around/explorer section of Seekers.  Leo, Monterey or Ursula.

Rogues:  I have less of an itch on this one because of Sefina being a very different type of Rogue.   No great ideas.

Mystics:  Marie, I would like to get a Marie.  Alternately, I would like to see another mixed class here.

Survivor: I have been continually impressed with all three survivors as they all feel different and have different focuses.  I am not sure I have any good thoughts here, keep surprising me.  Maybe one that plays up the Ally portion of Survivor (Charlie K)?

What would you folks like to see?

Now if the theory that the next two big boxes will be based around Shubbie and Special-Cth, there are certain types of investigators that make sense.  Cthulhu tends to have a lot of sea worthy folks, artists, and cops.  It also tends to feature New Orleans and the Pacific Ocean.  Shub likes outdoorsey types and um people that are easily eaten, idk there isn't a ton written on Shub.

1 hour ago, Jobu said:

So I have been thinking of what I would like to see as far as investigators go for the next release.  Thematic concerns would be paramount, but outside of that.....

Guardian:  I would like to see one of two things that are kind of mutually exclusive.  First off, I would like to see a Guardian that downplays the "Kill them all" aspect and uplays the "Help them out" aspect.  I don't know who this should be, maybe Vincent Lee?  Not sure who else it would be.  The second would be a Guardian with a Mystic secondary class.  I think it would be interesting to see how they put that together.

Seekers:  I would like to see one that is more focused on the moving around/explorer section of Seekers.  Leo, Monterey or Ursula.

Rogues:  I have less of an itch on this one because of Sefina being a very different type of Rogue.   No great ideas.

Mystics:  Marie, I would like to get a Marie.  Alternately, I would like to see another mixed class here.

Survivor: I have been continually impressed with all three survivors as they all feel different and have different focuses.  I am not sure I have any good thoughts here, keep surprising me.  Maybe one that plays up the Ally portion of Survivor (Charlie K)?

What would you folks like to see?

Now if the theory that the next two big boxes will be based around Shubbie and Special-Cth, there are certain types of investigators that make sense.  Cthulhu tends to have a lot of sea worthy folks, artists, and cops.  It also tends to feature New Orleans and the Pacific Ocean.  Shub likes outdoorsey types and um people that are easily eaten, idk there isn't a ton written on Shub.

My Thematic Investigators address some of these.. quite specifically really. And they feature some unique deck-building requirements as well.

My Guardian (Hosea Mayhew) is meant to engage and take pressure off of allies by taking damage (not horror) for them. Additionally, he has an extra ally slot to help soak even more damage.

My seeker (Anton Pavel) is all about mobility, having the ability to move to a connecting location after succeeding at a test while investigating. He's sort of the Jenny Barnes of seekers.

My rogue (Astrid Lee)  is a bit geared toward manipulating shroud values on locations at the expense of added doom. She also has her hand in a bit of clue gathering abilities having access to any Insight traited cards, but only 0-3 Rouge cards.

My mystic (Obi Leveau) focuses on doom mitigation at the expense of high cost relic and/or charm and health loss payments that he has a tough time recovering from (might make healing a more worthwhile tactic than usual).

My Survivors (Anna Anderson & Sadie Godfrey) play up the combat and self-sustaining nature of survivors. While the former focuses on dabbling in mystic arts and gets slightly rounder stat as she gets closer to death and insanity, the latter tries to push through tests by relying on her high combat value alongside lucky elder sign pulls that can convert any test into a combat test.

I am not going to pretend that they are perfectly written and don't conflict with any rules at all, but I do think they are interesting and fun to build around. There are some issues that could be cleaned up (for instance, Sadie has the "Hunter" trait although I'm not sure it should appear since she does not move like a hunter monster or anything and is just for flavor, and Anna's weakness was an interesting idea that essentially functions like a 'hidden' card that nobody knows you've pulled because it was from your own deck before 'hidden' was a thing--hidden is probably a better way to trait the card than it is now).

I would love for more people to try them and let me know their thoughts, or even do play logs featuring their use of my characters just to see how other people like them.

Anyway, I'm leaving all this info here because, to answer your question, these are what I wanted to see (so I made them). There are eight total, and probably need revised, but I haven't had time to clean them up. The link below will lead you to the download page.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/142036/8-thematic-investigators

If I had to pick characters introduce for Cthulhu and Shug, I would probably go with Silas, Patrice, Goria, Lilly, Norman/Harvey, Diana. Probably missing some good picks, but those are who I hope to see soon.

Edited by Soakman
Grammar