Sign in to follow this  
Rinzler in a Tie

Can we REALLY talk about the Kimogila?

I don't have time to get into too much detail, but I want to get some serious discussion going on the following: 

The Ace: Torani Kulda. 
PS 10, native barrel roll. Dial unknown. what happens when you're in his bulls-eye arc? 
- You can't spend focus or evade tokens
- After he hits you, you take a stress or a damage or lose all of your tokens.
- After you shoot him back, you get a stress. 

swx70_spread_legal.png

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

6 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

I don't have time to get into too much detail, but I want to get some serious discussion going on the following: 

The Ace: Torani Kulda. 
PS 10, native barrel roll. Dial unknown. what happens when you're in his bulls-eye arc? 
- You can't spend focus or evade tokens
- After he hits you, you take a stress or a damage
- After you shoot him back, you get a stress. 

Think about it this way, Dengar would take 3 stress.

The dial is probably gonna be the decider here. A delicate balance must be made. If it's too crappy, it won't see use. If it is too good, he could be another PS 10 monster.

Now, there is the the width of the barrel roll which can hold him back, like @Rakaydos has pointed out. Also It has 1 agi and the same health as a Y-Wing, so there is that.

1 minute ago, SabineKey said:

If it is a Expertise Dengar, yes.

Okay.

Y'see, I don't play X-Wing.  But I know the rules, and the impression I got from hanging around and reading is that Stress-Control is still kind of an out-thing.

...  Control by Ionisation or GTFO, basically...  

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Then...  does Dengar really care?

These days he does. Thankfully the days days of Dengaroo with Zuckuss and Overclocked are long gone. Overclocked + Inaldra Mindlink still kind of works, but a 14pt Light Scyk is INFINITELY easier to deal with than the Manaroo of old.

Just now, Drasnighta said:

Okay.

Y'see, I don't play X-Wing.  But I know the rules, and the impression I got from hanging around and reading is that Stress-Control is still kind of an out-thing.

...  Control by Ionisation or GTFO, basically...  

Actually, no. Stress control hurts a lot of things. The denial of actions is still worrisome, shuts down some upgrades like Expertise and x7, and limits the opponents flight options by removing red maneuvers and making green ones more valuable. You still see stress controls out and about, but right now, autodamage is just killing things, so control doesn't come up much at all.

for cripes sake, it's a jouster honest-to-god arc-locked (Doubly so with bullseye) with no guaranteed damage (oh noes, feedback array!)

christ, what's next? Deadeye torpscouts are coming back, the deadeye torpscouts are coming backening?

edit: double-checked to make sure that the deadeye --> r4 synergy is still gone; it is. You can spend focus and then re-roll with a homing/harpoon/cruise, but idk the math on that

Edited by ficklegreendice

Ok. Ps10 with barrel roll is not what makes Nym good. 

PS10 with adsensors, BR, engine, turret and the ability to drop bombs is what makes Nym good. 

this thing will die FAST and at 27 base is more than likely 1/3 of your list.

It is going to be fine. 

Edited by Timathius

9 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Understood, only that when it was, it was more effective than stress control. 

Again - outsider impressions is all I'm relaying. :D

Maybe back in the time it was popular, as in pre wave 5. But now stress is vastly more important universally. Ion is only important against things it can hit consistently(such as low agility ships). And taking two ion shots for large ships has severely limited ions use up until recently.

6 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

for cripes sake, it's a jouster honest-to-god arc-locked (Doubly so with bullseye) with no guaranteed damage (oh noes, feedback array!)

christ, what's next? Deadeye torpscouts are coming back, the deadeye torpscouts are coming backening?

Agree on the ace, but 4 of them... bbbbz vets are gonna have a field day denying tokens. 

2 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Agree on the ace, but 4 of them... bbbbz vets are gonna have a field day denying tokens. 

Vets?

you're not getting four ept Kimmys and a pirate in the same list

the ps 3s getting an ept will ignite a ragestorm the likes of which we have never seen, but even so I'm not terribly upset at the prospect of a basic jouster actually doing any damage when it finally catches an ace in (it's super tiny, limited) arc

Uninformed reaction with imperfect information inbound, seriously this gut reaction based on no facts at all!

Why on earth did they make this thing PS8.....if the dial has even 1 non-red hard turn. This thing is going to be terrifying. 

And even still, its not like dodging the bullseye arc will save you from still taking a 4-5 dice PS10 cruise missile shot to the face.

Oh crap I messed up and didnt line up my bullseye....oh well i guess ill just have to use these crappy cruise or harpoon missiles on you instead....

Torani Kulda — M12-L Kimogila Fighter 27
Veteran Instincts 1
Extra Munitions 2
Cruise Missiles 3
Unhinged Astromech 1
Inertial Dampeners 1
Engine Upgrade 4
Enforcer 1
Ship Total: 40

Edited by Boom Owl

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

Vets?

you're not getting four ept Kimmys and a pirate in the same list

the ps 3s getting an ept will ignite a ragestorm the likes of which we have never seen, but even so I'm not terribly upset at the prospect of a basic jouster actually doing any damage when it finally catches an ace in (it's super tiny, limited) arc

Maybe not the pirate, but already being very familiar with a slower moving ship with barrel roll is going to pay off in some shape or form.

6 minutes ago, Timathius said:

Why?

Turrets and alpha will annihilate it. 

Fair point, but counter point is there any ship in the game besides Soontir and Potensity and Biggs/Low at this point that doesnt get auto murdered by those two things?

Edited by Boom Owl

7 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Uninformed reaction with imperfect information inbound:

Why on earth did they make this thing PS8......seriously....why....If the dial has even 1 non-red hard turn. This thing is going to be terrifying. 

And even still, its not like dodging the bullseye arc will save you from still taking a 4-5 dice PS10 cruise missile shot to the face.

Oh crap I messed up and didnt line up my bullseye....oh well i guess ill just have to use these crappy cruise or harpoon missiles on you instead....

Torani Kulda — M12-L Kimogila Fighter 27
Veteran Instincts 1
Extra Munitions 2
Cruise Missiles 3
Unhinged Astromech 1
Inertial Dampeners 1
Engine Upgrade 4
Enforcer 1
Ship Total: 40

Why are you giving him Extra Munitions? You have reload. If you need missile regen that doesn't lose you a turn of shooting go for Scavenger Crane instead. It will work at least once, and after that you can just go back to reloading.

3 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Fair point, but counter point is there any ship in the game besides Soontir and Potensity and Biggs/Low at this point that doesnt get auto murdered by those two things?

other turrets and alphas that out turret and alpha the competition

point is, the Kim isn't on the same playing field. I would be legitimately flabberghasted to see whats-his-face used over nym