Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WesA69

Multiple Carcosa

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

just wondering, are there benefits to having multiple Path to Carcosa sets?

Do you treat the deluxe expansions like the core, multiple copies for max deck building options?

Hi Wes,

Everything after the core set - every deluxe box, every mythos pack - comes with a full playset of the player cards included in that set. So in Path to Carcosa, you get two of every player card. There's no restriction on deckbuilding as there is with having only a single core set so definitely no need to have multiple sets. 

However, if you want to build two investigators who each have, say, 2 copies of True Grit in their deck, you'd need to buy 2 copies of Path to Carcosa. I know some people buy multiples just so that they have options, but honestly no need! 

The only reason you would want more than deluxe expansion box is if your collection was supporting all the players you play with and you refuse to proxy and are willing to pay 30+ extra dollars per person for the luxury of knowing every player could have every card they could ever want for their deck regardless of the overlap or if you wanted extra encounter sets to pre-build the encounters so you didn't have to build the deck everytime you set up a scenario. Both are incredible luxuries

I bought 2 Dunwich's because some of the player cards really excited me when it first came out and I am supporting the entire playgroup.  In hindsight, I regret doing so.

The number of time I needed more than 2 cards from that set in a four player game, I can count on zero fingers.

The big problem with the box sets and expansion decks is that they don't just come with player cards. You get all of these duplicate story and encounter cards that will really never be used (unless, of course, you want all the encounter decks ready to go). In Carcosa and Dunwich, there were only a few of each class of card, so in this game it is even more a waste to buy extra sets, and this is from someone who bought three Netrunner core sets. I am probably just going to scan and cut out any extra player cards we need. I hate to proxy, but I also hate that unusable cards (especially with this game) come with every purchase.

As card options increase, this issue will mean less and less. Some players can also think of this as just another deck-building restriction.

On 21 September 2017 at 2:13 PM, saint1012 said:

The big problem with the box sets and expansion decks is that they don't just come with player cards. You get all of these duplicate story and encounter cards that will really never be used (unless, of course, you want all the encounter decks ready to go). In Carcosa and Dunwich, there were only a few of each class of card, so in this game it is even more a waste to buy extra sets, and this is from someone who bought three Netrunner core sets. I am probably just going to scan and cut out any extra player cards we need. I hate to proxy, but I also hate that unusable cards (especially with this game) come with every purchase.

As card options increase, this issue will mean less and less. Some players can also think of this as just another deck-building restriction.

Yep, all my core set player cards (except neutrals) are 'limit 1 per deck' ;)

saint1012 likes this