Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blail Blerg

2 ISDs with Boarding Tropps

10 posts in this topic

This list I've been working on for a while.  I think its pretty good. What do you think it has weaknesses to? What would you improve? Sometimes I wish the ISDs hit just a little harder, cuz they rarely seem to make something actually pop, yet, I really like my AA defense and bid here.  Is the bid enough for 1st player in the current wave6 meta? 

Would this really be better off with a different ship than a 2nd ISD? 

IIZZ Moffy JJ - BTAvenger - s6AAStrat b12 - Go 1st

Faction: Galactic Empire 

Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault Objective: Most Wanted 

Defense Objective: Contested Outpost 

Navigation Objective: Salvage Run

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)

-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 

= 25 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)

= 23 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer (110 points)

-  Moff Jerjerrod  ( 23  points) 

-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points) 

-  Boarding Troopers  ( 3  points) 

-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 

= 141 total ship cost

Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer (110 points)

Avenger  ( 5  points) 

-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points) 

-  Boarding Troopers  ( 3  points) 

-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 

= 123 total ship cost

1 Valen Rudor ( 13 points) 

1 Mauler Mithel ( 15 points) 

2 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 16 points) 

1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points) 

1 Lambda-class Shuttle ( 15 points) 

Card view link

Fleet

This will be even more fun when the ISD-K becomes available. Leading shots will be usable out the sides too.

Mauler may be pinned early and perhaps never get any ramming attacks. Howlrunner maybe and get some more swarm in place of the Lamda. Your squadrons shouldn't get too far away from the ISDs anyway.

I think that damage dealing potential of this list is too low and double-boarding-troops trick is going to be wasted most of the time. Even with JJ getting close range fornt arc reliably would not be easy and outside of close range this list is much less scary.

I'm curious about the rationale behind Salvage Run. Are you planning on running your ISDs into the obstacle mush to pick up the tokens, or are you sending the Gozantis in?

I ask because I have a list where it might work well but I was put off using it due to the potential of losing tokens to a Strategic list and the damage from probably running my ISD into the obstacles around the station.

I will admit, the 2nd BT so far hasn't been that great. 

Yeah, maybe going to long range ISD would be better for the 2nd ship. Any suggestions here? 

@ManInTheBox, did you see my general discussion thread about strategic in low sq fleets?  Its so far been a huge charm.  Wonderfully fun, and tactically useful, sometimes forcing split focuses and things.  And it really reduces the number of bad objectives. For Salvage run, I was just gonna have the Lambda pull a few close and use the Gozanti's or the ISDs to pick them up.  Generally also, ISDs like to get close to something.  So it creates a magnet into the center.  Yeah, the extra obstacles is kind of bothersome... haha. 

2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yeah, maybe going to long range ISD would be better for the 2nd ship. Any suggestions here?

Well.. after some experiments with boarding troopers I dropped them off altogether and ended up using Avenger ISD2 + IO/OE ISD1 + Supressor formula. This way Avenger can have gunnery teams and my thinking is that if ISD1 ends up in the close range of something, then its shot + follow-up Avenger shot should be sufficient even without BT.

EDIT: I still may try BT/Avenger in the following combo - ISD2 Avenger + 2xQuasar1 BT/DC. But I didnt test this concept yet, so I don't know if it has legs.

Edited by PT106

@ManInTheBox, did you see my general discussion thread about strategic in low sq fleets?  Its so far been a huge charm.  Wonderfully fun, and tactically useful, sometimes forcing split focuses and things.  And it really reduces the number of bad objectives. For Salvage run, I was just gonna have the Lambda pull a few close and use the Gozanti's or the ISDs to pick them up.  Generally also, ISDs like to get close to something.  So it creates a magnet into the center.  Yeah, the extra obstacles is kind of bothersome... haha. 

Yep, I was really enjoying the insights in that thread. I usually try to run at least 1 strategic as Rebels just to give options (although I've been trialling without; you replied to that thread a while ago).

Would you run Salvage Run in that list without a Lambda?

I think the move to an ISD2 is a good one--I love the ISD1/ISD2 combo.  It also reduces your reliance on P1 (here, either eat BTVenger or run away into an ISD2 arc), so you can make some cuts to your bid.

20 minutes ago, PT106 said:

Well.. after some experiments with boarding troopers I dropped them off altogether and ended up using Avenger ISD2 + IO/OE ISD1 + Supressor formula.

Interesting.  Why not IO on Avenger instead to loosen up your activation order? 

That way you can either activate Avenger first with IO to punish him for bracing, or the ISD1 with the Avenger follow-up punishing it.

Just now, Ardaedhel said:

Interesting.  Why not IO on Avenger instead to loosen up your activation order? 

That way you can either activate Avenger first with IO to punish him for bracing, or the ISD1 with the Avenger follow-up punishing it.

In my case the slot was taken by Kallus.

Ardaedhel likes this

I quite like it. Personally I would prefer: Mithel, Saber, Jendon, Maarek as it can really disrupt enemy squadron synergy. But I dont see your load out as flawed, other than that maybe the two tie fighters are just going to die ineffectively.