Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MacchuWA

Would you suppirt a more expensive tournament if you got errata'd card packs as tournament prizes?

22 posts in this topic

Awhile ago, FFG let the genie out of the bottle on hard errata as a means to buff (cluster mines) and nerf (most of the other ones) problem cards, as opposed to just clarifying how they were meant to work, or fixing actual mistakes. This has resulted in a different, probably better game (I know there's some push back on that), but has had the downside of creating a growing number of scenarios where cards do things in game quite different to what they say. And that is a problem, not just because newer players might struggle, or misunderstand how their opponents list (or even there own) flies, but just generally because it's bad design to need auxiliary documents overruling primary documents that come in the game box.

The solution FFG appear to have landed on is to just put the corrected cards into reprints of the expansions, but that's obviously no good for people who already own them and aren't likely to buy more (how many people actually plan on repurchasing a raider for a Palp reprint?). In some cases they get a second timely chance (see Advanced SLAM in the gunboat), but that's not reliable (and won't happen at all for unique upgrades like Zuckuss)).

That leaves only one other means by which they can get cards out to the player base: through tournaments. but forcing the kits to be exclusively for errata'd cards would presumably screw up whatever system they use now to decide what to use, and still means taking a long time to clear a large number of erratas (at least a year for the four big ones from the last big FAQ before you could even move on to the next one we know is coming).

So, my idea. Would you pay more to play in a tournament once a year or so, where the participation prize was a little pack (think Magic booster) of reprinted errata'd cards? You might not get every card (an alternate Palp source, for example, would probably eat into Raider sales) but maybe a Zuckuss crew card, a pair of fixed X7 titles, a Manaroo, and maybe some corrected instruction cards for cloak and cluster mines? Or, alternately, would you be okay with making those the participation prize at store championships, or regionals? Would it be worth it to pay a few extra dollars worth of printing costs, or would you rather keep it at the current price point/get actual alt-arts? That assumes that none of the cards in the pack are alt arts themselves, of course.

And, probably most important, do you think this is something FFG might actually do? OP upgrade cards are, after all, the key reason for some expansion packs getting bought (see Starviper), and providing alt arts and opening up the secondary market that way will have a potential effect on sales. But, on the flipside, if they had a mechanism to distribute fixed cards in a timely manner, it might let the resistance among the designers to hard errata, and allow them to tweak things a little more liberally, which might be a net positive for the game, and a better game keeps players longer and sells more.

With my idea to implement a fan-run FAQ (If FFG doesn't release one by a week after the last nationals, i'll start pushing for it again) the intended scope of changes was to limit it to changes that could be made by implementing a pack of cards- it's likely how a massive nerfageddon would have to happen.

And the general consensus is "yes, players would buy it". The points of contention are whether it would have to legally be packaged with something else, and price point.

Not sure I'd be into the idea of having to pay extra into what is essentially a kit event just to get errata cards that... well, aren't really needed if you have an FAQ to hand. If it was a pack of alt-art errata cards, then maybe, but I don't see that happening.

Not everyone is going to make it to an event due to life stuff, which means those people miss out just by circumstance. Missing out on an alt-art in a kit is easy enough to get over. Missing out an entire pack of cards that, let's face it, will bolster your collection and list building options over others for virtually free because there's no way to force players into using "new" or "old" versions of the card.

tl;dr no.

Been there … done that without FFG. 

No need for FFG in that context, we just have tournaments with prices outside of cheap FFG boxes. Considering the printing quality from FFG inhouse printing and their inability to do proper color management or even just properly cut those cards … I rather continue to use non-ffg errata cards, because FFG can do this kind of stuff not properly inhouse, while the demand for those cards is not big enough to justify printing them in china. 

I want my cards to work exactly as printed.  Errata to fix spelling and grammar is acceptable.  Completely changing how a card works is not.

Cusm likes this

I personally would like FFG to sprinkle in the errata cards into future waves of expansion packs. It really would be nice to get the errata Zuckuss in a future scum ship expansion pack. This will better dissimulate the corrected cards.

Honestly, the time ha come for FFG to just bite the bullet and release something like "X-Wing Update Pack 2017" and include something like one copy of each unique card they have hard erratta'd and 4 copies or so of each non-unique they have hard erratta'd.  Charge $20 at most and be done with it.

Whatever their reason for not doing this (or other ridiculous decisions like giving us ONE updated heavy scyk title in the C-ROC but SIX light scyk titles and FIVE Arc Casters), I can only imagine the feeling  as a new player seeing these awesome cards only to be told that a FAQ made them completely different.  

Zura likes this

2 hours ago, Timathius said:

I would support higher tournament entry fees for better prize support in general. 

GIVE OP THE BUDGET FFG THEY CAN MAKE YOU MONEY. 

That is something that is already happening as well. Some SCs are using half a dozen SC kits from several seasons to make sure that everyone goes home with something special, while others run with a single bare bones game night kit and a entry fee of just 3€. 

And the best price support I have seen so far in a local tournament tops had all errata cards as in high quality synthetic prints, custom  templates for everyone, alt arts in large numbers, full sets of maneuver cards for all current ships, custom painted tokens, etc, etc, etc, etc on an awesome location. 
Sure, they had to charge a little extra, mainly because the hall was rather expensive, but that was cool too. 

The illusion is that anyone would need more FFG price support when there are so many third party suppliers who are HAPPY to support great tournaments with their stuff. Another illusion is that FFG has much influence about the entry prices in the first place. 

Do people actually read the cards? The most important cards are going to be on the other side of the table, upside-down, so they're not going to be much help in an actual game.

I've always thought of them being mainly a proof-of-purchase for participating in official events rather than a bona-fide reference for the rules.

Do other people frequently refer to the actual cards to find out what something does?

1 hour ago, kraedin said:

Do people actually read the cards? The most important cards are going to be on the other side of the table, upside-down, so they're not going to be much help in an actual game.

I've always thought of them being mainly a proof-of-purchase for participating in official events rather than a bona-fide reference for the rules.

Do other people frequently refer to the actual cards to find out what something does?

Holy cow, this post is crazy.  I'm on this forum every day, have multiples of every small/large ship, have an obscene amount of money invested in this game... and I still consult cards any time attack timing priorities come into play, whenever their abilities are used, and whenever my opponent asks, or even when they don't ask because I want them to know what my list is comprised of.  

I don't have every card memorized.  I still consult them.

Zura likes this

9 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

Honestly, the time ha come for FFG to just bite the bullet and release something like "X-Wing Update Pack 2017" and include something like one copy of each unique card they have hard erratta'd and 4 copies or so of each non-unique they have hard erratta'd.  Charge $20 at most and be done with it.

Nope, should be free.  One per customer at every LGS.  They owe us.  Actually, tournament players owe us casual flyers for ‘asking’ for the FAQs in the first place.

12 hours ago, Arttemis said:

Holy cow, this post is crazy.  I'm on this forum every day, have multiples of every small/large ship, have an obscene amount of money invested in this game... and I still consult cards any time attack timing priorities come into play, whenever their abilities are used, and whenever my opponent asks, or even when they don't ask because I want them to know what my list is comprised of.  

I don't have every card memorized.  I still consult them.

He was referring the to polite and required list print out, which is more convenient to hand over to your opponent when your cards are not sleeved in one of those great ultimate guard pages which you can hand over in one or two big packages. 
A polite list printout contains a full print out of all card texts, including updated errata versions of the text, dials, actions, etc …

02-UGD010495-32-Pocket-Std.-Size-&-Mini-

Now card pages for X-Wing are still these days so common on my local X-Wing events that a lot of people will just hand over you the actual cards and don't bother with printouts. 

Edited by SEApocalypse
Arttemis likes this

No, I know the rules and rarely need to refer to cards or the FAQ directly. I'd much rather have more cool alt-arts.

I would instead welcome if they started deliberately printing alt art cards of the cards that have been errata'd, with corrected text on them, as the prizes to store champs (ie, among the most commonly available prizes).

They can start with Palpatine and work their way along the list from there. :P 

Arttemis likes this