BuzzsawMF

Why has this IP never been expanded?

10 posts in this topic

Why has this IP never been expanded to an updated RPG, card game, books, etc? 

If it has can someone point me in the direction? 

There has been the 4 editions of TI itself,

the game Rex: Final Days of an Empire, which is a reskin of the old Dune board game for the TI universe

there was a TI disc wars game briefly, don't know how long it was available

back in the Cretaceous period there was a RPG with 2 books that was absolutely dreadful and which that video above confirms is not considered canon

think that is about it. 

We we all have high hopes that FFGs new generic RPG system Genesys will feature the TI universe as a setting, but we just have to wait and see. 

StriderZessei likes this

They did expand the IP, but only relatively little. There is a lot of potential for expansion of the TI IP with other types of games. I could potentially see Twilight Imperium reskins of games such as Carcassonne (Build up the Imperial City of Mecatol), Galaxy Truckers (more or less lucky Hacan Traders) and even X-Wing (Squad based dogfighting with fighters and possibly larger ships based on race and techs and possibly also using the mercenaries from one of the TI3 expansions). And those three are just off the top of my head.

Edited by Fnoffen
for spelling

My guess is that between the license to print money that is the Star Wars IP and their own Terrinoth IP (not to mention the now-defunct GW license) there hasn't exactly been a lot of resources or design space to expand TI.  

And on the computer game front it would be competing with a lot of other established brands, some of which probably served as inspiration for TI as a board game.