Sign in to follow this  
django042

Crisis of identity, Lolas weakness

I would say yes offhand because it says control, not in play. But I would have to take a look at the rules reference to be sure and I don't have it with me.

Edit:Just downloaded and checked the RR. You do control the cards in your hand, so yes you would discard those as well as the cards in play.

Second edit: As stated below, I am wrong, it should only be the cards in play.

Edited by mwmcintyre

Be that as it may supposedly the official answer is as follows:
'Generally speaking, card effects only interact with cards that are in play. Cards that are out of play aren’t typically affected by card effects unless explicitly stated. So, even though you control the cards in your hand and deck, Crisis of Identity only ever discards cards from play, because it does not specify that it discards cards from your hand or deck.'

Source:
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03019
Bottom comment under the first and only review currently there

I don't know how official that is since the site itself didn't bother to pin that to the card's rule section

Okay, delved into the Rules Reference again and found this:

=Card abilities only interact with other cards that are in play, unless the ability specifically references an interaction with cards in an out-of-play area

This does make sense to me. Having to discard cards in the hand as well does seem overly punishing. Happy to be proven wrong in this instance. :)

Edited by mwmcintyre

Especially nice in light of the realization that you are considered to be in control of the cards in your deck that you haven't drawn yet as well. Can you imagine having to pick up your deck and pull out all the cards of a class each time your weakness came up? That would be insane

3 hours ago, Donel said:

Especially nice in light of the realization that you are considered to be in control of the cards in your deck that you haven't drawn yet as well. Can you imagine having to pick up your deck and pull out all the cards of a class each time your weakness came up? That would be insane

hey @Donel, the 'site itself' with regard to Arkhamdb is just me! So I need to be nudged about these things - can't see all cards at all times and sometimes I miss things. Do feel free to let me know when you see things like this. 

Pleased to meet you. I'll be sure to forward any other rule tidbits I catch your way then. For the record, I didn't mean to criticize. I was just explaining I don't know where my source got its information. Transparency is key

Edited by Donel

The person who posted this question on arkhamdb.com was me.

The "official" answer on that page does not mention a source, like a developer of arkham LCG, FAQ, twitter, etc. You should never trust information with no reliable source in our times of "false" news.

mwmcintyre's source is the entry about "ability" from the rules reference's glossary (arkhamdb.com does not mention page numbers).

On 9/21/2017 at 11:02 AM, django042 said:

The person who posted this question on arkhamdb.com was me.

The "official" answer on that page does not mention a source, like a developer of arkham LCG, FAQ, twitter, etc. You should never trust information with no reliable source in our times of "false" news.

ArkhamDB gets their answers from official rulings via the Rules Question Form. They've proven trustworthy in the past, though if you can't take their word for it, you're free to us the Form yourself.

Just a tiny follow up on this: I'm the only one currently able to add FAQs to Arkhamdb. There's no 'they' about it, no cloak, no dagger, no nothing, just me relying on the community to forward me emails from Matt Newman when he answers rules questions. I don't add anything I don't have an email for, and I'd be delighted to share any emails people want to see. You can PM me on here or find me on discord as zooeyglass, too. As you can probably tell, most of the answers are verbatim from his emails, with my only adjustments for clarity (e.g. where he's replied 'yeah that's how it works' as opposed to giving a clearer answer.)

I took over this role around Essex County Express's release, after a couple of months without any FAQs being added as the original person left the community. I don't maintain the site, but I do do card inputs and FAQs - so yeah, any questions, just ask. The site maintainer and I have added a line that notes that all FAQs come from Matt Newman and the rules query form, so that in future hopefully our veracity / integrity won't be as hard to ascertain. A rules source is only as good as the base information being fed in - it's always been our intention for Arkhamdb to have the highest quality FAQ entries. 

@Donel nice to meet you too. Agreed on transparency - thank you!

Edited by zooeyglass