Lumberjack Nick

Okay seriously, when are we getting more info about this game?

23 posts in this topic

Since Star Wars: Legions announcement, I've checked FFG's website every single day waiting for more information. Does anyone have any idea when we're getting an update, or any more information at all? NYCC, maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the pattern for Runewars holds true, sometijme around the end of Oct. And it'll probably just be a design article that doesn't give a lot of new information.  Articles with some real meat will start sometime in Jan. 

This is based on a Mar 2018 release and they hold to a similar article schedule that they did for Runewars. It was announced at GenCon 2016 with a 1q17 projected release. 

If they actually plan on releasing it earlier in the first quarter, then you can move the articles up some. 

ryanabt likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From some of the interviews Alex Davy has done he seemed to imply that they plan to release the core set in time for Christmas with wave one dropping in January.

Of course that all depends on the slow boat from China. Either way we'll probably get something of a teaser in the next 2-4 weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're not going to get any more information until it's closer to release.

It does FFG no good at all to burn up all the PR hype too early, so checking every day now will accomplish nothing.  We'll likely start to see more info in mid to late Oct, and even then it's going to be every other week to  weekly articles not daily.

FFG releases info to build hype for the game and it would be foolish to start building hype 6 months out, because they'll use up everything they have months before the game actually comes out.

And no this won't hurt their sales or anything.  Those of us who are posting here now are going to buy the game when it comes out, and the hype won't really change much for us.  But for those who haven't heard of the game yet or are on the fence it's in FFG's best interest to start the hypetrain at a point where when they've gone through the rules, units, upgrades, ect... the game will be in stores a couple weeks later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Nathan2214 said:

From some of the interviews Alex Davy has done he seemed to imply that they plan to release the core set in time for Christmas with wave one dropping in January.

Of course that all depends on the slow boat from China. Either way we'll probably get something of a teaser in the next 2-4 weeks

Pretty sure they originally had 'before christmas' listed on the announcement, but very quickly changed it to Q1 2018.  I'd love to see it before Christmas, but I'm really expecting Feb-Mar 2018.

Sk3tch likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

I'd love to see it before Christmas, but I'm really expecting Feb-Mar 2018.

I'm sure FFG would love to see it before Christmas as well.  But I wonder how well something like Legion would sell at Target or Walmart, or even Barnes and Noble.  I know X-Wing was in Target and I don't believe either core set sold extremely well.  B&N I think moves a fair amount of X-Wing stuff but often that's because they have ships that you can't get anywhere else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ScottieATF said:

Legion will not be sold in big box retailers. The price point and product won't work.

Legion would absolutely sell at a Barnes & Noble.  Armada sells well enough for them to continue to stock it and it has a higher price point.  Run down to your local Target or Walmart and check the LEGO aisle.  Check the pricing on the larger boxes and then tell me that $90 is too much for a game. 

Having said that, I don't think the target audience for Legion is looking for these sorts of games at a Target or Walmart.  Tabletop wargaming is definitely a niche category and it's not one that Target or Walmart currently dabble in.  Barnes & Noble does currently dabble...  and with the same manufacturer/distributor (X-Wing, Armada).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ScottieATF said:

Legion will not be sold in big box retailers. The price point and product won't work.

Correct, but have in mind that right after release GW's Lord of the Rings SBG was quite popular, too. Unlike Warhammer Fantasy or 40k it was literally everywhere... Same happened to X-Wing.

Let's see what the licence will do for Legion... I wouldn't be surprised if Legion popped up in unexpected places but I wouldn't worry if it didn't. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X-wing's core set was at Target, so I could see the Legion core set being there. However, Target may pass since there is some gluing/painting involved with Legion as opposed to X-wing which was ready out of the box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They at the very least should release some measurements soon, so people can start hobbying properly. Things like jump height. This would already attach players to the game and when the finished tables start rolling in can be a serious hype factor. Not to mention that the game looks much better on a proper table, which can give it a boost on release.

Terrain projects take time. Please give us some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Things like jump height.

Assuming it doesn't change... Jump 1 is Range 1 which is 6 inches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

They at the very least should release some measurements soon, so people can start hobbying properly. Things like jump height. This would already attach players to the game and when the finished tables start rolling in can be a serious hype factor. Not to mention that the game looks much better on a proper table, which can give it a boost on release.

Terrain projects take time. Please give us some.

I 100% agree.  I have so many ideas right now, but don't want to waste time on terrain that won't be tournament legal.  Runewars has specific rules for user created terrain.  I assume that Legion will have similar rules.

Cheek likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KrisWall said:

Legion would absolutely sell at a Barnes & Noble. 

How many conventional wargames (build + paint) have you seen at B&N?

X-Wing kinda broke a mold by being a "proper" mini game that wound up selling there, but it has an arguably lower barrier to entry...

(Don't get me wrong, I hope you are correct, but ennnnnnh)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, VanorDM said:

I'm sure FFG would love to see it before Christmas as well.  But I wonder how well something like Legion would sell at Target or Walmart, or even Barnes and Noble.  I know X-Wing was in Target and I don't believe either core set sold extremely well.  B&N I think moves a fair amount of X-Wing stuff but often that's because they have ships that you can't get anywhere else.

 

I don't think they did either. I got my two copies of the original core set at Target for 50% off each, so basically buy one get one free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KrisWall said:

I 100% agree.  I have so many ideas right now, but don't want to waste time on terrain that won't be tournament legal.  Runewars has specific rules for user created terrain.  I assume that Legion will have similar rules.

I seriously doubt that Legion will have rules for terrain anywhere like Runewars does. There is a major difference between Runewars and Legion with regards to movement.

Runewars, much like X-Wing, seems to be a primarily a positioning game first and foremost. As you can see from the movement templates really restricting your movement options to a set few maneuvers.

Where Legion has a much more free form movement system. Sure they have templates... this is FFG after all! ; )  But you are allowed to stop anywhere along the template as you see fit (say speeder bikes compulsory movement). And even the movement templates themselves have a pivot point and so are highly adjustable to offer a huge range of options even within the same speed band. Let alone the fact that save for the vehicles, the templates can be placed anywhere around the models base you wish. opening up a 360 degree start point for movement.

Also it has been confirmed that each of the range sections of the Legion rulers is 6" long, and jump 1 allows Luke to clear obstacles that height or under. So if you want the terrain to block him, make it over 6" in height. If you want him to be able to clear the obstacle, make it 6" or under.

You can also just look at the Demo tables that FFG had commissioned to see that terrain is going to be highly varied from table to table. That is why they built in the Cover mechanic the way they did. Giving it different levels (cover 1 and cover 2), which allows the players to both sit down before a game and work out exactly what benefits each piece of terrain will or will not have before each game.

I say go nuts and start building now, that's what I am doing. And to be perfectly honest, I think people are putting way to much importance on if it is "x scale" or "y scale" for the minis. If you have that high of a calibrated eyeball to be able to discern a difference of 1-2 mm in your door heights from playing distance... you will be a God among men!

...****. I have a hard time telling if something is, or is not, within 8" in my games! If I could get down to that granularity... watch out Worlds! ; )

 

Omegaclone likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so here is a question for those of you who have a lot of experience with FFG games: usually, when does FFG makes a game's rules available compared to its release? A month before? Just upon release or sometime after?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Xargonaut said:

Ok, so here is a question for those of you who have a lot of experience with FFG games: usually, when does FFG makes a game's rules available compared to its release? A month before? Just upon release or sometime after?

I think usually a couple of weeks beforehand.  With Runewars, we got the rules beforehand, but we didn't get tournament rules until well after release.

Xargonaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Xargonaut said:

Ok, so here is a question for those of you who have a lot of experience with FFG games: usually, when does FFG makes a game's rules available compared to its release? A month before? Just upon release or sometime after?

Depends. The problem with Legion, however, is the license.  As the rumor goes, Lucasfilm legally considers PDFs of RPGs to be "electronic gaming," i.e. video games, which is a different license from what FFG has.

Unless that changes (which so far seems unlikely), they probably can't release the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

 As the rumor goes, Lucasfilm legally considers PDFs of RPGs to be "electronic gaming,"

But legion isn't a RPG.  Imperial Assault is much closer to a RPG then Legion will be, and you can download the rules for IA right now from the FFG site.

As to the OP's question, expect the rules a week or so before the game releases.  

Edited by VanorDM
Xargonaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VanorDM said:

But legion isn't a RPG.  Imperial Assault is much closer to a RPG then Legion will be, and you can download the rules for IA right now from the FFG site.

Yeah, guess that's true. I forgot about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xargonaut said:

Ok, so here is a question for those of you who have a lot of experience with FFG games: usually, when does FFG makes a game's rules available compared to its release? A month before? Just upon release or sometime after?

I think in the past it's been up to a month before release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now