Syntaxair

Map Rotation Fall 2017

42 posts in this topic

As Anchorhead leaves soon, this will not be a problem for long. Then there will be just one map, that is significantly better.

And Hater Vader as well as the Riot Troopers have a lot of health and defense. Asokha is very fast, so is Luke. There will be Brawlers/Force Users, that are still good in Nal Hutta.

20 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

It surprises me how little I see Devious Scheme used. For me it's an auto-include in my merc lists. It gives you a MASSIVE advantage in the game. Plus helps you with preparing for a major tournament as you only have a few deployment plans to think about. 

Wow! It isn't used commonly where you play? Yeah, I rarely see a Merc list without it. 

-ryanjamal 

8 minutes ago, ryanjamal said:

Wow! It isn't used commonly where you play? Yeah, I rarely see a Merc list without it. 

-ryanjamal 

I brought it to back-to-back worlds. Never played against it once. Granted that could just be good luck on my part, although my records from said events would not make it seem like I was lucky in any way :P.

In fact, I don't think I've ever played against it and I bring it with all of my merc lists. I suck at opening strategy, so I feel it's a must for me. Cuts openings in half and you can come up with a better plan with some practice. I especially love it when I draw Negation first round. Then you know you can throw a merc in the mix as your last activation and get a shot off first in the next round. I had a Boba/Jabba/Devious list that won a SC because I got lucky with drawing Negation first round in every game. So I could set up the second round hit and run. 

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

1 hour ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

It surprises me how little I see Devious Scheme used. For me it's an auto-include in my merc lists. It gives you a MASSIVE advantage in the game. Plus helps you with preparing for a major tournament as you only have a few deployment plans to think about. 

I have basically given up on Devious Scheme, because more often than not your opponent will have it and it does nothing for you, or your opponent will have take initiative and it still does nothing for you, on top of you planning to have Initiative next round and thus making poor plays. I include it if I already have Black Market, but that is for sure the top priority and my scum list attachments, and often I would rather use a leftover point to upgrade a unit.

2 minutes ago, ThatJakeGuy said:

I have basically given up on Devious Scheme, because more often than not your opponent will have it and it does nothing for you, or your opponent will have take initiative and it still does nothing for you, on top of you planning to have Initiative next round and thus making poor plays. I include it if I already have Black Market, but that is for sure the top priority and my scum list attachments, and often I would rather use a leftover point to upgrade a unit.

I understand that reasoning totally. I wonder if its stock will rise with the next wave as more Imperial and Rebel lists get played. Even if the other player has Devious, it still serves a purpose though. It counters their ability to use it, so there's still an incentive, albeit less than against a list without it. 

-ryanjamal  

DerBaer, nickv2002 and wannabepudge like this

1 hour ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

I'd like to be able to buy the map that is "available" before they release a new one thanks!

It's my only major beef with this game. Unless you live in the USA, good luck getting a map without selling some old x-wing to pay for it. That or git gud at puzzles. 

P.S.- Soontir 4 Life

1 hour ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

It's my only major beef with this game. Unless you live in the USA, good luck getting a map without selling some old x-wing to pay for it. That or git gud at puzzles. 

P.S.- Soontir 4 Life

yeah same here. been on pre order since they announced it but no sign of getting one. Sold all my x-wing ages ago, got bored of local scene

13 minutes ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

yeah same here. been on pre order since they announced it but no sign of getting one. Sold all my x-wing ages ago, got bored of local scene

Warning: Daily x-wing knock. Comments may be disturbing to some readers. Please look away and carry on with your day.

Dude. Have you seen the meta right now? Basically 2 tanky small base ships that drop bombs and have 360 degree turrets! WTF? How is that even close to anything thematic or even fun? Jousting? HeLz no. No "flying" skill required at all. It's like my 7 year old nephew invented this game. I think he'd call it "I win". 

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

Devious scheme still has a high value for me, but I quit using it in my main list because Black Market yields a ton of value as well. Especially when combined with Jabba or someone else to draw cards. I haven't felt the need to pick a certain deployment zone in the last 4 maps because they haven't been all that different. Also running 8 activations is really strong because it often gives you the last activation in round 1 which negates part of your opponents devious scheme. 

Nal Hutta is making me want to find a way to use it again though. More practice on that map might yield some better ideas on how to handle the blue zone though. The worst part for me about the blue zone is that your terminal is backwards from the objectives and your opponent and highly exposed. 

18 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

P.S.- Soontir 4 Life

Those Nal Hutta maps I found for us on eBay were reasonably priced considering the source; $40 including shipping?  Not too bad.  Of course I'd prefer to be able to pick it up locally and cut the shipping but since nobody is in a hurry to stock it, what can you do?  Go to eBay apparently?

Considering the hurdles like this to the Skirmish game, sometimes I'm honestly impressed that the community exists at all.  I guess it goes to show how passionate everyone is about this little game of ours.  Silver-lining; with the new Worlds Lottery system, at least if you intend to go to Worlds, you'll probably get in.

Sadly I'll miss the next one, which is a shame because IA Worlds had to be the most chill but also the most instructive battery of competitive gaming I think I've ever had the pleasure sitting through.  It also helps when you can finish the run and hop over to the Event Center taps and get your Surly on, either in celebration or lamentation.  Either way, they've got you covered.

18 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

P.S.- Soontir 4 Life

Also, regarding puzzles; it would help if they made sure that the puzzle pieces they list on the sheets were 100% accurate.  There's been a couple of times where I was assembling everything and realized something wasn't right.

Pro tip for new players using tiles; ALWAYS make sure you assemble the map the night before your event to ensure you're using the correct pieces.

5 hours ago, cleardave said:

Those Nal Hutta maps I found for us on eBay were reasonably priced considering the source; $40 including shipping?  Not too bad.  Of course I'd prefer to be able to pick it up locally and cut the shipping but since nobody is in a hurry to stock it, what can you do?  Go to eBay apparently?

Considering the hurdles like this to the Skirmish game, sometimes I'm honestly impressed that the community exists at all.  I guess it goes to show how passionate everyone is about this little game of ours.  Silver-lining; with the new Worlds Lottery system, at least if you intend to go to Worlds, you'll probably get in.

Sadly I'll miss the next one, which is a shame because IA Worlds had to be the most chill but also the most instructive battery of competitive gaming I think I've ever had the pleasure sitting through.  It also helps when you can finish the run and hop over to the Event Center taps and get your Surly on, either in celebration or lamentation.  Either way, they've got you covered.

Bring baby Seven to Worlds! Salty Mike can babysit.

Ya, I'm not sure how you managed to get us the map for $40 CAD! But many of our American friends say that they've seen them in their local stores. 

5 hours ago, cleardave said:

Also, regarding puzzles; it would help if they made sure that the puzzle pieces they list on the sheets were 100% accurate.  There's been a couple of times where I was assembling everything and realized something wasn't right.

Pro tip for new players using tiles; ALWAYS make sure you assemble the map the night before your event to ensure you're using the correct pieces.

Pro tip for new players using tiles; f#ck FFG and bring the vinyl mats as well. Use the puzzle sheets to help guide you and build the puzzle on top of your vinyl mats. Or be cool like Cleardave and make sure to find all three FFG mats! 

7 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Bring baby Seven to Worlds! Salty Mike can babysit.

"I know I just curbstompted you out of the Day 2 bubble, but would you mind watching my child for me tomorrow while I go and try to win some fancy dice?"

I'm sure that's the person you want to trust to watch you kid in good faith.  Seems like the wrong time to ask for a favour.

Ya, I'm not sure how you managed to get us the map for $40 CAD! But many of our American friends say that they've seen them in their local stores. 

Devious schemes, but mostly keeping an eBay search dog-eared.

Pro tip for new players using tiles; f#ck FFG and bring the vinyl mats as well. Use the puzzle sheets to help guide you and build the puzzle on top of your vinyl mats. Or be cool like Cleardave and make sure to find all three FFG mats! 

This is the way to go; use the vinyl as a guide to build on.  Super fast.  If the "official" mat is available, but more importantly ATTAINABLE by you, I can't recommend them enough.

You could also always run Devious Scheme and force your opponent to set up the puzzle pieces while you go grab a beer while you wait.

8 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

That's a great idea! Or just build it on top and then set it to the side and play on the vinyl haha (too bad there's not enough space for that spite ;))

NeverBetTheFett and ryanjamal like this