Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caribecards

Elrond's Counsel doubt

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I hope someone could help with the following doubt:

If I only have 2 characters in play, 1 Noldor and Beorn (he is immune to player cards effects), Could I still play Elrond's Counsel card in order to reduce my threat by 3 even though I am not able to give another character +1 Willpower?

Action: If you control a unique Noldor character, give another character +1 [Willpower] until the end of the phase and lower your threat by 3. 

By the partial fulfillment ruling...

...I'd say that what you ask should be allowed.

Technically, however, that ruling came in the context of partial fulfillment of the EFFECT part of a COST->EFFECT.

I have a completely theoretical question since it involved some cards that does not exist. But what happens if the cards was writed " Action: Choose a character. If you control a unique Noldor character, give that character +1 [Willpower] until the end of the phase and lower your threat by 3. "

In thas case I will say you must have a character to play the card, on the same way you can't play a feint without an enemy on the board. I'm right?

Thanks for the clarifications.

I was reading the Partially fulfilling card effects topic and I found interesting the case below.

If a treachery said "Exhaust all heroes in play.  Then, deal each exhausted character 1 damage."  You wouldn't think "Well, some of my heroes were already exhausted, so I could not fully resolve the effect.  Guess I don't have to deal a damage!"

In this case I would think that if I already have 1 or more exhausted heroes the second part of the treachery effect could't be applied, I'm not sure if I understood the idea of the example.

10 hours ago, Rouxxor said:

I have a completely theoretical question since it involved some cards that does not exist. But what happens if the cards was writed " Action: Choose a character. If you control a unique Noldor character, give that character +1 [Willpower] until the end of the phase and lower your threat by 3. "

In thas case I will say you must have a character to play the card, on the same way you can't play a feint without an enemy on the board. I'm right?

I would also say you must have a character to play the card.  However, if you don't have a character you've lost the game, so the only player that could conceivably not play the card is one who has only hero Beorn in play.

49 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

I would also say you must have a character to play the card.  However, if you don't have a character you've lost the game, so the only player that could conceivably not play the card is one who has only hero Beorn in play.

Isn't it still OK if you Desperate Alliance away your last hero, even without other characters?

Although then playing this hypothetical Elrond's Counsel would require it being neutral and free...

This is pretty far from the OP. :)

On 9/20/2017 at 9:47 AM, sappidus said:

Isn't it still OK if you Desperate Alliance away your last hero, even without other characters?

Although then playing this hypothetical Elrond's Counsel would require it being neutral and free...

This is pretty far from the OP. :)

But if you are playing multiplayer you could still just choose one of your teammate's characters.

sappidus likes this