Force Majeure

Moisture Vaporator Challenge

34 posts in this topic

I'm a terrain n00b, but I instantly get the feeling that Q-tip or lollipop sticks fit the bill.  If they're not long enough, cut two of them to the size  you want. You'll get the bonus of some natural separation to build/paint off.  Also,  I'm certain rubber gaskets are made in a diameter close to what is needed. As for the center, perhaps some other pipe fittings or nuts/bolts? If not, there's gotta be some tapered wood bits at the craft store. 

Cheap and cheerful ... cardstock, an internet image, some tape ... $0.02 and five minutes of time!

pic3753873_md.jpg

The vaporator is three-sided; hard to tell in this view. The papercraft crates took longer than the vaporator.

Force Majeure and Mep like this

On 2017年9月22日 at 5:44 PM, AldousSnow said:

Thanks! Video games are our friends. My Ord Mantell map is closely derived form Mannett Point, an island on the planet. Its an area you explore in the MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic. You can google Mannett Point to see the obvious similarities. Im making changes to fit a wargame mentality. And also some aesthetic changes. Ord Mantell is a planet of islands and volcanoes. So I'm changing the sandy yellow beaches to black sand when i get into painting. Itll make the blue ocean and green shrubs pop more. 

And the front steps are 100% usable for minis to walk up. The rear steps in the photo weren't complete  (they were too tall), but are now the right height and also usable with the minis. The base hangs over a hair, but they stand completely solid.

I dont know if you play EA's Star Wars BattleFront but the Sullust maps might be right up your alley so to speak. Especially the survival map. It too is a volcanic terrain. It has a hangar bay, Large turrets (which could be previously destroyed) Trenches and catwalks and what seems to resemble several Endor type bunker entrances built into the canyon walls. I really think that map would make an excellent table.

AldousSnow likes this

2 hours ago, C3POFETT said:

I dont know if you play EA's Star Wars BattleFront but the Sullust maps might be right up your alley so to speak. Especially the survival map. It too is a volcanic terrain. It has a hangar bay, Large turrets (which could be previously destroyed) Trenches and catwalks and what seems to resemble several Endor type bunker entrances built into the canyon walls. I really think that map would make an excellent table.

Sounds awesome. Ive been watching out for Battlefront 2. Sounds like I might need to check out both for inspiration. And your Death Star hanger idea sounds awesome. Catwalks, pits, room for ships, and even control rooms are perfect for Legion. 

C3POFETT likes this

Okay, so this weekend I tried to craft a moisture vaporator with our challenge in mind, so I got all my materials together, some found, some bought, but still under the self imposed $10 rule ...and:

cw4zL5m.jpg

lId9ilN.jpg

I'm not really happy with it. It is crooked, due to my poor cuts, but also, the only glue I had (I have at least 4 different types) that would hold any of it together was hot glue from a glue gun.

So then I thought, "You know, I'm not too bad with wood" and decided to pick up some dowels, etc. and try that route. Sorry guys, I abandoned the $10 rule and just wanted to get something that I was happy with ...and:

IKQoCU4.jpg

My cuts were still not as precise as I wanted.

While I waited for glues to dry, I did make up something I was pretty happy with. I'm not sure what to call it, but here it is:

mH5XH1N.jpg

and here are all three together and primed for paint:

gU47ByE.jpg

Awesome picture quality!

Admittedly, I was rushing to get some kind of proof of concept done between obligations this weekend, so that didn't help and I think I'm going to buy some e6000 glue that I've seen used before. On my next attempt I will take my time with my cuts and glue application. We'll see how that goes.

Edited by Force Majeure
C3POFETT, Cheek, TUZ and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Okay, so this weekend I tried to craft a moisture vaporator with our challenge in mind, so I got all my materials together, some found, some bought, but still under the self imposed $10 rule ...and:

Your Vaporators look pretty cool. The crooked and wobbly look just add to Lucas' vision of a "used" galaxy.

Honestly I am trying to figure out how to construct some "broken" Land speeders.

AldousSnow and Force Majeure like this

I gave it another go at the Vaporators this weekend. I found a container full of all those extra LEGO pieces that come in a set. I have been saving them for years and finally put some of them to good use.

These are not finished products. I plan to detail control panels and of course paint them.

MV2.jpg

This one is my favorite the piece in the center spins as do the 2 gears above the spool.

MV1.jpg

I took Force Majeures advice and made several styles of vaporator as they are not cookie cutter in design

Edited by C3POFETT
AldousSnow, TUZ and Force Majeure like this

The nuts and bolts unit the Force Majeure made is my favorite of this challenge so far and sorry to say I am totally "borrowing" that idea.

As far as the hot glue method (I know you didn't seem too happy with it), I find that if you are able to twist the piece as the glue sets it creates a nicer looking bond.

Edited by C3POFETT
Force Majeure and AldousSnow like this

For the panels, I used some vinyl sticker material I have cut into whatever shape I need. It's super simple and the edges take to dry brushing pretty well.

It's not Legion, but here's a pic from a Millennium Falcon mod I did that shows it used for the window & behind the cockpit:

klJIWng.jpg

Thraug likes this