Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chriscook

Z-6 trooper is awful.

21 posts in this topic

White dice with no surge conversion for 22 pts seems real bad.  25% to hit on 6 dice.  Maybe you are getting 2 hits total before cover and def dice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On it's own yeah it seems pretty bad,  but it isn't it's own unit. You're rolling those 6 white dice along with the dice for the rest of the rebel trooper unit.  So at least four i believe black dice. 

If i remember correctly the upgrade to add one more trooper is 10-11 points,  which adds one unit/One black die to your attack power. So 22 points to add 6 dice isn't terrible,  at least with Just the core set to work with

Edited by Nathan2214

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah the white dice in general are trash.

If the Z-6 upgrade had some ability to suppress the targeted enemies, then it would be more useful to reflect the heavy machine-gun blaster effect of laying down a lot of suppressing fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nathan2214 said:

On it's own yeah it seems pretty bad,  but it isn't it's own unit. You're rolling those 6 white dice along with the dice for the rest of the rebel trooper unit.  So at least for i believe black dice. 

If i remember correctly the upgrade to add one more trooper is 10-11 points,  which adds one unit/One black die to your attack power. So 22 points to add 6 dice isn't terrible,  at least with Just the core set to work with

I'm new to the mini games, so does this mean if you have the standard 4 Rebel Troopers in your unit + the Z-6 trooper, then you're rolling 4 black dice and 6 white dice for one attack??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I'm new to the mini games, so does this mean if you have the standard 4 Rebel Troopers in your unit + the Z-6 trooper, then you're rolling 4 black dice and 6 white dice for one attack??

Yes, that is how this will work.  You roll dice for each model based on the weapon that model has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Yes, that is how this will work.  You roll dice for each model based on the weapon that model has.

Ah, got it. Someone else will have to work out that probability, since I am not capable of that calculation lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolling all those together wont be that bad.  But once 1 or 2 troops dies it could be rough.  I hope sommone does the calculations to see if its worth the points compared to other units and or upgrades.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chriscook said:

Rolling all those together wont be that bad.  But once 1 or 2 troops dies it could be rough.  I hope sommone does the calculations to see if its worth the points compared to other units and or upgrades.

 

Actually, the Z-6 maintains your damage dealing capability for longer.  An A-200 Blaster Rifle Rebel Trooper, a.k.a. the basic dude, deals 0.5 damage per shot, on average.  A Z-6 Rebel Trooper deals 1.5 damage per shot, on average.  The Z-6 dudes deals three times as much damage, on average, but only costs twice as much.  He's actually a pretty good deal for the points.  Also, with 6 dice, he deals from 0-6 damage, averaging 1.5.  Basic dudes deal from 0-1, averaging 0.5.  Basic dudes will never have an "awesome roll" where they deal 4-5 damage.  The Z-6 will from time to time.

Omegaclone, ryanabt and Icelom like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For more fun, all with Rebel Troopers...

  • 4 Rebel Troopers; 2.0 damage average; 40 points; 20points per average damage
  • 5 Rebel Troopers; 2.5 damage average; 50 points; 20points per average damage
  • 4 Rebel Troopers + Z-6 Trooper; 3.5 damage average; 62 points; 17.7points per average damage
  • 4 Rebel Troopers + MPL-57 Trooper; 3.5 damage average; 72 points; 20.6points per average damage
  • 5 Rebel Troopers + Z-6 Trooper; 4.0 damage average; 72 points; 18 points per average damage
  • 5 Rebel Troopers + MPL-57 Trooper; 4.0 damage average; 82 points; 20.5points per average damage

So...  units that include a Z-6 are the most efficient way to deal damage.  Units with an MPL-57 are the least efficient way to deal damage, BUT do have Impact 1 and Ion 1, so will be more effective against vehicles.  Units without special weapons are somewhere in between.

Takeaway...  If you need to shoot vehicles, add an MPL-57.  If you're not shooting vehicles and want the most bang for your buck, take a Z-6.  If you have the points, take an extra basic dude make the special weapon to survive a little longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nathan2214 said:

And it's hero so they had to make sure it wasn't as good as what they give the empire 😜

Imperial options are more expensive.  Of course the Imperial options are going to be better.

Also, keep in mind that the HH-12 (rocket launcher) upgrade for Stormtroopers is 34 points, can't be fired at range 1 and can't be fired if the unit moves.  The 32 point MPL-57 upgrade for Rebels can fire at range 1 and can be fired if the unit moves.

Krashwire, ryanabt and Omegaclone like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, chriscook said:

Can we get this points per damage stat for all the troops in core set and heros.

 

It's a little time consuming.  It's also a little misleading.

As an example...

  • 4 Rebel Troopers; 2.0 damage average; 40 points; 20.0 points per average damage
  • 4 Stormtroopers; 1.5 damage average; 44 points; 29.3 points per average damage

The Rebel Troopers look like they're the clearly superior choice.  However, we need to factor in the defense dice of the target.  Let's assume no cover.  Again, all averages.

  • 4 Rebel Troopers shooting at Stormtroopers...  1.0 damage sticks
  • 4 Rebel Troopers shooting at Rebel Troopers...  1.3 damage sticks
  • 4 Stormtroopers shooting at Rebel Troopers...  1.0 damage sticks
  • 4 Stormtroopers shooting at Stormtroopers...  0.8 damage sticks

The story this tells is pretty much what we'd expect from watching Star Wars...  Stormtroopers are garbage shots, but at least they have armor, so they're slightly more survivable than Rebels.  In reality, a Rebel Trooper vs. Stormtrooper match is a pretty even fight and will be decided with positioning, cover and upgrade choices.

It also tells us that Stormtroopers in cover shooting at Stormtroopers in cover will make for a long game with relatively few dead Stormtroopers.  Stormtroopers seem like they'll be a good 'hunker down in cover near the objective' kind of unit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stormtroopers become a little better offensively when you use aim, as they get an extra reroll due to being such highly trained and therefor very precise marksmen, exactly like the movies show us! :P

edit: they also convert surge to hit(or crit? I can't recall) which helps.

Edited by Lord Tareq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

someone may've already mentioned this but I'm a featherweight in the alcohol department and two beers is enough to get me all chatty and opiniony,

I'm ponderating if there won't be some sort of pinning boost (pinning? Stress? What are those counters called? I could look it up but can't be asked), to account for how awful the Z6 seems to be.

I mean granted it's tacking on an entire reinforced Stormtrooper squad to your rebel squad, but still.... actually in that light I guess it's fine. :|

but it would be in keeping with "The dude with the big, honkin' laser gatling...".. I mean that'd make me more likely to duck for dang sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, juxstapo said:

someone may've already mentioned this but I'm a featherweight in the alcohol department and two beers is enough to get me all chatty and opiniony,

I'm ponderating if there won't be some sort of pinning boost (pinning? Stress? What are those counters called? I could look it up but can't be asked), to account for how awful the Z6 seems to be.

I mean granted it's tacking on an entire reinforced Stormtrooper squad to your rebel squad, but still.... actually in that light I guess it's fine. :|

but it would be in keeping with "The dude with the big, honkin' laser gatling...".. I mean that'd make me more likely to duck for dang sure.

As a fellow lightweight, hanks for weighing in!

I think you were referring to Suppression tokens ;) and that does sort of make sense.

Then again, I think they're going for more of a "Spray 'n Pray" feel to the Z-6 trooper. Sure, he might not hit every time, but he throws a lot of possible hits at the enemy! So it's sort of like a crit build, where you're hoping the stars align and you get a bunch of hits!

juxstapo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cheek said:

As a fellow lightweight, hanks for weighing in!

I think you were referring to Suppression tokens ;) and that does sort of make sense.

Then again, I think they're going for more of a "Spray 'n Pray" feel to the Z-6 trooper. Sure, he might not hit every time, but he throws a lot of possible hits at the enemy! So it's sort of like a crit build, where you're hoping the stars align and you get a bunch of hits!

25% of the time, he hits every time!

Palomarus and juxstapo like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, there is 1 crit, 1 hit, and 1 surge result on white dice. This means that 3/8 faces have some positive result on them. While rebel troops currently don't have a surge effect, it's reasonable enough to say that there will be plenty upgrades that add abilities powered by surges to them via upgrades. This makes 6 extra attack dice worth it despite its cost.

And on top of that, it's 1 more guy to soak up damage and suppression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0