Jike

Green Dice: What Are They For?

54 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Cerve said:

Seems to me that the major problem is to want to fight Nym with green dice. It's like fighting Turrets without Autothrusters for me. Some advices for the Defenders Player: engage Nym at long range, focus down him first, and going for a good trade: Nym will always do 2 hits+2 red dices (with no focus, the bomblet). If you can trade this output of damage with something like 5-6 damages in the same turn, you're fine.

Sometimes, the best way to kill Nym is just flying trought his AB/Bomblet, and just focus him down. Nym is a great sustain damage dealer. More turns you let him to """shoot""" you (yep, bomblet including), more he will scary. That's why it's a late game monster.

But if you're facing Dengar/Nym, and you're an Imperial player, well I would going for Nym first. You can almost dodge Dengar's arc, or still roll green dice against his attacks. But you cannot roll any green dice against Nym.

So, at the end, we are talking about 1 ship. Bombs and AB should negate green dice as always, the problem is learn to conduce a game in these situations.

PS: even if a fix is not needed, something that blocks the pre-move bombs should be better. Like, "if you're not stressed" and/or "if you're not ionized"...I would love more control in this game, and less pure dmg output. Stress, Ion, Tractor, I would love more weight on these concepts.

So engage at long range and focus fire is the key? Why didn't I think of that!? I feel like such a fool.

On a more serious note, I know that's theoretically how to kill him, the problem is the practicalities of doing it. Nym is ludicrously manoeuvrable for a bomber with BR and Boost, combined with PS10 for arc-dodging. His dial is excellent for closing distances fast and once he's in close you struggle to get away because he's also really good at going slow. The fact he doesn't need actions to deal damage means he's free to use his Boost or BR to get into the best position without sacrificing anything. Even going for Nym first, his wingman is likely loaded up with Cruise Missiles or Torpedoes to take you down while you're occupied with the bomber.

The statement that it's a problem trying to fight Nym with green dice is the entire point of this post. Green dice have been reduced in importance to such a degree you can win games without your opponent having to roll them at all. There's something fundamentally wrong with that.

Keffisch likes this

21 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Soooo make all the ships with shields better but none of the ships without.

Sounds like exactly the opposite of a solution to the problem.

Depends on how good the Shield Dice are. They could be 8 siders with 4 blank 2 Focus and 2 Evades on them, or 5 blank, 3 Evades. Or maybe a new symbol that means "Evades Hits only, no Crits" or "Counts as an evade but gain 1 stress if you don't already have one" or the same thing but with Ion tokens instead.

Armada gets away with 3 dice.

38 minutes ago, Jike said:

So engage at long range and focus fire is the key? Why didn't I think of that!? I feel like such a fool.

On a more serious note, I know that's theoretically how to kill him, the problem is the practicalities of doing it. Nym is ludicrously manoeuvrable for a bomber with BR and Boost, combined with PS10 for arc-dodging. His dial is excellent for closing distances fast and once he's in close you struggle to get away because he's also really good at going slow. The fact he doesn't need actions to deal damage means he's free to use his Boost or BR to get into the best position without sacrificing anything. Even going for Nym first, his wingman is likely loaded up with Cruise Missiles or Torpedoes to take you down while you're occupied with the bomber.

The statement that it's a problem trying to fight Nym with green dice is the entire point of this post. Green dice have been reduced in importance to such a degree you can win games without your opponent having to roll them at all. There's something fundamentally wrong with that.

No there's nothing wrong with that. That is just a list that use guns against green dice. It's a meta thing, nothing wrong.

When the meta was 4 TLT, Ordnances and Autothrusters were the key.

When the meta was Ordnances, rip off Targelocks, bumping and multiple evades/green dice was the key.

Now that green dice are not a thing, just switch the meta. 

16 hours ago, Stoneface said:

An interesting take on ship's abilities in this game. I have to agree. Freighters that sloop and barrel roll vs fighters that can't, definitely not thematic. I wonder what the stat lines would look like if the game was objective based rather than the standard 100/6?

It would definitely be a different game, and for me a very much more enjoyable one too.  Having bombers be bombers and freighter behave like freighter would be fantastic.